On the subject of concealment

Understood. Just relating my journey.

3 Likes

My wife and I went to Silicon Valley this week for an event at a GFZ.
So, I grabbed the portable gun safe and put it under the seat. Halfway through, we stopped for coffee. I started to hook the cable to facilitate storage for when we reach the parking garage.
Alas, it wasn’t there. Thankfully, a Harbor Freight Tools store was nearby where I was able to buy a $22 safe.
I used the cable-less box to secure the magazines.
Lesson learned.

5 Likes

I don’t leave anything in the car, ever. Seems like a bad idea. Even magazines.

4 Likes

That would be the ideal but many firearm laws supposedly passed to keep us safe force people to leave their firearms in their vehicles before entering certain areas. Not doing this often risks significant jail time and loss of the right to posses firearms for the rest of their lives.

These laws mandate leaving our firearms in the vehicle where criminals can more easily steal them or leaving them at home and not having them for the other areas we would be allowed to carry during the day. That last one seems to be the goal of most of these anti self defense laws. Make carrying so difficult and legally perilous that everyone just decides to be defenseless. Which just empowers the criminals even more.

7 Likes

@Josh47 i went to San Jose where, per wiki,
All elected mayors of San Jose have been members of the demoncratic party.
It was my first and, if it depends on me, last visit to San Jose. I haven’t been to San Francisco since 2016 for a concert, not counting the airport.

Correct.
All my life, I’ve strived to be on the right side of the law. I hold my nose and follow oppressive gun laws.

6 Likes

Please cite the laws that mandates one to leave a weapon in their car. That’s bullshit

I reside in a “permitless carry” state. Florida. While I don’t legally need to have ccw here I chose to just to be on the good guy side a bit more. Let’s not forget that it’s an incredibly heavy responsibility, owning a firearm to protect yourself and your loved ones.

6 Likes

We’re talking of Kalifornia

4 Likes

They differ from State to State but there are federal laws that apply to all States. Here are couple of biggies that apply pretty much everywhere.

No firearms in federal buildings.
No firearms on Post Office property including in the parking lot even if it is unloaded and locked in a case.
No firearms that are not unloaded and locked away within 1000’ of school property unless you have a valid carry license.

Most States have restrictions of firearms on school property even if you have a carry license and total bans inside school buildings.

Most States have some form of restrictions on carrying in places that serve alcohol.

In some States it is against the law if you bring a firearm onto a property posted with no firearm signs. In other States it is not against the law but if you are asked to leave and you don’t you can be charged with trespassing.

Many public events ban firearm carry. Many hospitals do the same.

Etc., etc., etc……………………………………………………….

Now none of those laws mandate you leave your firearm in the car. You can always leave it at home. But then you are unarmed everywhere else you go on that trip. If you are fortunate enough to be able to avoid all those places and the many more I didn’t list then you are also good to go. Though I wouldn’t recommend some activities while wearing a firearm even if they are allowed where you are doing them. Like contact sports for instance.

5 Likes

I carry daily, but some areas just demand a second firearm. Or three.

4 Likes

There are no laws that say you are required to leave your gun in your car. You’re a ■■■■■■■ crazy person.

Dear Bean Counter, if you live in a bad part of town then you have no choice but to carry concealed. My prior advice applies to those who have a choice. Take care.

2 Likes

That’s me :crazy_face:

I never said there were laws that mandated you lock a firearm in a vehicle. I said there are many laws that force people to have to leave firearms in their vehicles.

I’m not going to bother citing them all. It’s your job to know what is legal or not in the places you carry.

5 Likes

Well OK I did use the word mandate further down in one of my posts. Perhaps it wasn’t the best word choice but I think my point was pretty clear.

When the government passes laws like the one saying you can’t carry your firearm into a PO while picking up your mail or even leave your firearm locked in the car in a PO parking lot they are essentially mandating that anyone going to the PO has to leave their firearm at home or park their car out on the street and leave their firearm in it. That just leaves everyone less safe.

Citation provided per USPS website:

Possessing a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a federal facility for other than official purposes, causing such a weapon to be present, or attempting to do so are punishable by a fine, imprisonment for up to 1 year, or both. If the prohibited weapon is intended to be used to commit a crime, the penalty is an increased fine, imprisonment for up to 5 years, or both. See Title 18, United States Code, Section 930.

No person on U.S. Postal Service® property may carry or store firearms, explosives, or other dangerous or deadly weapons, either openly or concealed, except for official purposes. See Title 39, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 232.1.

3 Likes

It’s like my dad told me on my 18th birthday.
“There’s never a good reason to draw attention to yourself, and if you go to jail I don’t have bail money."

3 Likes

Good idea considering you might want to travel to a state granting reciprocity and the FL permit is quite easy to get. I got one in an afternoon and I live in CA!

4 Likes

My truck can be used as such, guess I’ll have to park two blocks away and walk to the PO. :rofl:
They act like they have metal detectors.

3 Likes

When will the PO be privatized? This year they have a deficit of 6.5 BILLION!

2 Likes

The only law that I know that requires one to leave a weapon in the car and locked is Illinois. It applies to individuals from out-of-state who are driving through Illinois and have a CC license or permit from another state. One can carry concealed in the car and must be passing through Illinois. I recently drove through Illinois and stopped for gas and lunch. I was carrying and did lock my weapon in a safe, attached to the driver seat, and the vehicle locked. I hate driving through Illinois.

4 Likes

CA has a similar law except that the firearm must be locked and unloaded in the vehicle unless you are one of the lucky few to have a CA carry license. Out of Staters’ rights to conceal carry are automatically denied.

And I still stand by my former argument that there are many anti self defense laws on the books that regularly force people to either leave their firearms locked in their vehicles, leave them at home or face severe criminal penalties for carrying in restricted areas.

3 Likes