Getting a large safe into your home amongst nosy neighbors

I’ll be coming into a family gun collection soon and am finally taking the plunge with a safe. Problem is, the delivery is curbside and I live in an area that largely supports gun control. Those of us that support 2A around here mostly keep it on the down-low. Sad but true. I’ll have to recruit enough people to help me move it into the house. How do I explain this purchase to those that may inquire about it? Has anyone on this site had to deal with this before?

1 Like

I would get a moving company it will be safe and secure plus one safe with a moving company should take very little time from door to door

4 Likes

I wouldn’t explain anything to the neighbors. You don’t owe them one an explanation if hey ask, flip it back like “wow, you noticed that? Do you watch make a habit of watching my house and activities often? What else do you make a habit it of?” Put them on the defense. If you feel you really must say something tell them that it’s a new piece of furniture (simply cover the box with some moving pad blankets).

I like @Robert8 's idea…Two Guys and a Truck or some other type of moving company and a couple college kids, a van and a handtruck and your safe will be in place in no time. Maybe you can even arrange for them to pick it up from the drop ship place and bring it to you as part of the “move” service. Make sure to tip the movers.

5 Likes

Yes Sir and bonus save your back let College kids or 2 men and a truck company do it. 1 item will be cheap and you injure the ‘ol back you get a lifetime of anguish. Let us know how everything turns out New Buddy

4 Likes

The last large gun safe I bought I moved from my driveway into the house and down a flight of stairs on my own (I was 57 at the time). All it takes is the right equipment and patients (ok a little common sense 2x6s, tie down straps and a ratcheting come-a-long didn’t hurt). Now if I had been going up a flight of stairs I might not have been able to do that one myself.

2 Likes

While I appreciate @DBrogue 's personal feat, I’ll happily throw in with the folks who say "Contract it out, have them come when you’re ready, and it’s done in 30 minutes. The only stress you end up with is worrying the movers heard you say: “Watch your head at that corner!”

I don’t for a minute regret having professionals move my safe three times. And I don’t for a minute regret picking my Mother up off the floor… only to shortly later blow out L5-S1. But If I could share my thoughts with someone else… You don’t need to blow up your back.

3 Likes

Did I forget to say I am a bit stubborn?

3 Likes

Are you worried enough to need to camouflage the box its arriving in?

It’s a new freezer. Anyway, you are really watching my house that closely? That’s a little creepy Dude!

3 Likes

Just a thought. If you plan on moving in the future look hard at one of the knock down safes (Zanotti or others) . My son (Marine) moved a bunch and got a Zanotti just because of how much easier they are to move.

1 Like

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I especially like the idea of hiring a moving company and it would probably be cheaper than the safe moving company 50 miles away. Maybe I’m being paranoid about my neighbors. It should be noted I’m on the Steering Committee of the neighborhood assn. and my neighbors and I hang out often. I’m just an extremely private person and don’t think it’s anyone’s business that I have guns in the house. Then again, I do private investigation work on the side so many of them assume a carry. Love the 57 yr old gentlemen that moved his own. I would be considering that except I already am dealing with a ruptured disc in my back so that option is not on my sites. Love this forum! What a great community of people!

2 Likes

@Jan2

Thanks for the love, that was almost 6 years ago now and I am not sure if I could do it alone again or not. Like a said in another post I am stubborn (and maybe bull headed at times) and might try it if I needed to.

Don

2 Likes

Have an acquaintance who wrapped the box from a similarly sized chest freezer around his while it was still on the truck. Delivery guys wheeled it in and no one the wiser.

3 Likes

Or make labels to slap on the packaging that say something like “Fecal Digester” or, better yet, “USED Fecal Digester”. Nobody wants to know more about that.

If your neighbors are going to give you the stinkeye, let it be for something stinky!

4 Likes

I completely agree with having someone else move it for you. On the logistical side you “could” have it delivered to the moving company’s location and then have them wrap it in cardboard and such then have it delivered right into wherever you need it dropped. You just need to plan out where you want it to go and make sure you have a door that it will fit through to get it there. Nothing draws flies quite like having an overly large item stuck at your front door with a couple moving guys scratching their heads standing around.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

I do not know the manufacturer that you chose for your safe, but Liberty Safe will deliver their safes in unmarked heavy duty cardboard slid over the safe. If a neighbor gets nosy you can tell then it is just about anything from a refrigerator to a chest of drawers. I had professional delivery AND the nosy neighbor. We played it off as a large tool chest for my business.

4 Likes

… a large tool chest… yeah, that’s actually a pretty apt description :grin:

Welcome to the group!

2 Likes

I see you picked up on my subtle hint very quickly. :wink:

1 Like

Deliver/unload it in the middle of the night with a loud diesel truck. :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I ended up getting a Liberty Fatboy which was unloaded in a plain cardboard box from a non-descript pick-up truck. It’s an 800 pound safe and took two guys and a hydraulic hand truck. Two of my neighbors stood there watching. I told them it was a large cabinet and they would see it once I’m done remodeling. That will be months away and by then, they’ll have forgotten the conversation.

2 Likes