"Stealth Gun Ownership" and the Chinese Wuhan Coronavirus?

Since the 70’s I’ve kept my gun ownership “Quiet” from most Friends, Co-Worker’s & Neighbor’s. Now, I’m questioning that Stance seeing that it could actually “Make Us A Viable Target” since no-one knows that we are protected be Firearms. I’d like to hear some thoughts on how other’s would handle this situation. We are a few streets away from one of the Less Safe streets in the city.

8 Likes

It depends on the situation. I live in a town that is very visual. I open carry and it has reduced my need for a weapon 10 fold. Concealed on the other hand, made it more likely.

One such case was at 7-11 in 2014. Group of idiots outside, challenged me to a fight. I didn’t have a gun on me at the time. I believe had I and it had been visual, that wouldn’t had happened.

Last summer, I was, once again, outside the 7-11 and a different guy was inching towards me, looking off. I turned to him and he saw me open carrying. Didn’t have to draw, didn’t have to do anything, he backed off quite quick.

Until 2015, you were forced to open carry in Maine, I still do it, at least here in Biddeford. Although, if I was going into a crowed area, like a Wal-Mart for instance, I think it would be smarter to conceal, until after you’re done shopping.

I should just stay away from that stupid 7-11 parking lot, but it is the only place open 24/7 in this town.

4 Likes

Only a small trustworthy group of people know what’s in my house. I use my landscaping and dogs as a deterrent. I wouldn’t say I’m secretive about anything, I’m just not forthcoming with it.

10 Likes

Keep your mouth shut,your gun on or near,and your eyes open.

10 Likes

Only my family and this community know I own firearms. Unless my neighbors have been spying on me, I’ve been stealthy when going to the range. Furthermore, I think now we are all one street away from an unsafe street!
Maintain condition yellow and your head on a swivel.
If your concerned about less safe streets nearby, maintain your stealth. No one needs to know, tactically this works in your favor.

8 Likes

Well, Thanks Kage. I’m just over in Springvale by the Cemetaries. I had figured, that in my "Old Age I wouldn’t want to have “Far To Go”!!! I’m, kind of feeling like I need to start cleaning my Gun’s out on the Front Porch or something to “Announce the Fact” that we won’t go Quietly if Something happens. Thanks for your input. Was just Re-Reading this message and pictured Jed Clampett Cleaning his Rifle, sitting out by the Front Door!

4 Likes

Similar situation, but without the dog. I’ve been using a cane for years now. And, had Spinal Fusion of the Lumbar. My thoughts run to the thought of Nature and The Bright Color’s of the things that you “Need to Steer Clear of”. How to be “Bold Enough” without attracting the police and ending up in a “Red Flag” type of Situation.

3 Likes

Hi, Troy7. That’s the way I’ve been doing things for Years Now. But, in the Pandemic I’m Questioning if that “Is” the way to Keep Playing Things. Thank You So Much.

2 Likes

Patrick, if you’re like most of us, you have probably put up other deterrents that will make you a less viable target–motion sensing lights/cameras, clear field of view from windows, etc. while you’re at home.
For the first time, I am also questioning how best to address this. I remember several years ago when TN flooded, some of the guys in the neighborhood put up a spray painted 4x8 sheet of plywood that said, “you loot, we shoot.” I chuckled at the time.
I used to have a doormat that said, “nothing in this house is worth dying for.” I have since abandoned it, given the implications it had for my practical defense in court. The problem with that mentality is that it’s not defensible in court unless there’s mortal danger. Protecting stuff doesn’t involve deadly force in most places.
The company I instruct for is selling yard signs that say “Occupants are trained by Armed2Defend”–I don’t know that I’d put one up or not, but it’s a thought.
I would say that at this point, I prefer to remain a grey man.

4 Likes

Hi Scott52, I guess for you I’d probably ask about "The Front Door’!! What would you Suggest for covering the Front Door / Down Stairs? Answering “In General”, What would you suggest for covering the Front Door or the Down Stairs for the family who don’t pay to much attention to the guns. A .22 L.R. Pistol, A 12 Ga. With Low Brass Loads, or Some Kind of “Cannon”???

2 Likes

Patrick,
From what I’ve read, the best home defense round for the shotgun is #4 buckshot.

2 Likes

“WOW”!!! “I prefer to remain the Grey Man”!!! Reading that reminded me of the Very First Time that I heard that phrase!! After Charles Whitman at the University of Texas tower shooting, in Austin, Texas 1966. I read about how being dressed in a “Grey Suit” was some of the Best Camo. I think that this is a “Great Point”. Thanks

4 Likes

I answer the door now. My wife let’s me know if it’s an expected visitor or not. I have a kick stop on the one door in and stand beyond that. I also have a handgun on me and a long gun nearby. In a week plus we have had 2 visitors. Amazon and wife’s best friend. Answered door same way.

I don’t advertise, but then again I have multiple big dogs and I am not a small man myself.

4 Likes

There are Four of us here & one is a 7 year old. I do consider “Over Penetration” which I’ve seen as being a problem with larger than 7 1/2 Shot. Just a comment from an Obsessive Compulsive.

2 Likes

Hello Everyone, To Try to Clarify my thoughts for this topic, What made me Ask this Question was a comment / visual aid of a sign that Reads " My Neighbor’s Support Beto O’Rourke" with arrows pointing both Left & Right. Letting people know that the Neighbor’s don’t have Guns!!!

5 Likes

High security deadbolt locks and a 12ga.

3 Likes

I live in a community with 32 other homes. Most neighbors have CCH permits. NC calls the CCW of most states a CCH in NC. Neighbors know one another and will share. I gave a box of 9 mm Speer Gold Dots to a neighbor since the local store is out of stock. It is kinda difficult for a neighbor to know everything I have in my safe because I do not know unless I look at my inventory spreadsheet.

When I lived in Kalifornia before retiring in 2013, NO ONE in my condo complex knew I had firearms. I had a gun safe located in my airplane hangar on a controlled access gated airport. Most of the other airplane owners had firearms and had no issue sharing that info with others at the airport. About a quarter of my airplane friends have gun safes in their hangar. A fire rated gun safe was a great place to keep aircraft records. IF there ever were a fire, the records for the aircraft would survive.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure if you put a Trump 2020 sign in your yard you will be left alone.
Vs. (I know he’s out of the race…) a Beto sign.

4 Likes

Gary51, Thank you for a Good Laugh!! I’m up in Southern Maine. And when I read “Spreadsheet” a Norman Rockwell picture popped into my mind. You have a “Hunter” in hunter plaid and all the things that are in the background of a Hunter’s Cabin. Including a rifle / shotgun and a “Box” of Shells.

3 Likes

Yes, I used Beto as the example for my “Rabid Anti-Gunner” in my example. I did also, think about using Eric Swalwell as the “Demon” in my example compared to either Sleepy Joe or that Commie from Vermont who Won’t Join the Democratic Party!!!

2 Likes