Old West Test

In the ol’ west there was a test of skills shooting five rounds at five yards at a playing card within five seconds. Since the FBI says that shootings happen within three seconds and using three rounds, I think this drill has merits. If you are feeling cocky the put a regular business card up and see what you can do.

Anyone ever run this drill?
Anyone want to give this a try?

The 5 of Spades tarot card symbolizes change, adaptability, and versatility.

How adaptable or how versatile are you?

7 Likes

Does it depend on which caliber?

5 Likes

5 Likes

IMG_4691

8 Likes

Not a 9mm, it will blow someone’s lungs clean out of the body!!!

10 Likes

IMG_4694

8 Likes

FWIW

FBI Statistics

If we assume that there is some truth to the Rule of Threes, we should probably ask where that comes from. The oldest source I’ve seen for the original quote is from Lt. Frank McGee of the NYPD in the 1970s. Today, most people seem to cite the FBI as the source. But the FBI doesn’t actually have any stats on defensive shootings by armed citizens. They do track some data about justifiable homicides, which isn’t quite the same thing, but that does not include any information about engagement distance. Local law enforcement agencies don’t generally document that kind of thing either.

I think this is more representative than the often misquoted/misused FBI numbers

So 5 yards for this drill seems like a good call

2 Likes

I’ve been meaning to order a few dot torture targets. Use the 22LR to get used to it and understand the basics of it. As the old west gun fighters are quoted as saying: “be deliberate with your shooting. The guys that show off are the first ones dead”.

1 Like

Dot Torture is an outstanding drill.

I suspect most people don’t do it either because they haven’t heard of it, or because of how humbling it is.

Start at 3 yards and expect to take 5+ minutes to complete it, and still not get a perfect score. If you do, awesome.

Can buy them on Amazon even

I know we hijacking the thread lol

4 Likes

And depending on the story, either into the air or through the door. :grimacing: :unamused:

4 Likes