What distance do you set your target at (handgun)?

When you’re at the range, what distance do you set your target at and why?

4 Likes

That depends on what I’m shooting. I always first practice with a target at 6 feet. That is where home invasion shooting happens at. I start with the sidearm pointing down then then I raise it real fast and fire 2 rounds at center mass. I usually practice this for a 100 rounds. Then I shoot for accuracy after that. 380 at 15 to 25 feet. 45 acp 10 to 40 yards. My in between sidearms at various ranges. 3 to 30 yards.

6 Likes

It really depends on my mood and how long it’s been since I have shot. If It has been awhile, I put it close and don’t worry about trying to hit bulls eye, I just aim at the target and keep pulling the trigger to get get used the recoil of each of my guns. Then after I do that, I set my target wherever and try to hit my mark. If my son is with me we usually share a lane so I let him set it.

3 Likes

Usually like to practice at 20 yards, on occasion, i go upwards of 50 yards.

Had fun with my youngest brother at 50 yards shooting pistols at some golf balls i got at a yard sale that said range on them…

Our targets are usually clays placed all over.

My favorite practice when i carry my pistols with sa/da is a double action trigger pull after a full or partial concealed draw. How fast and accurate i can be on the fly.

3 Likes

Pistols i generally shoot at 3, 7, 10 yards. Rifles i shoot 50 and 100 yrds.

7 Likes

I shoot pistols at 7-25 yards. Rifles anywhere from 25-220 yards (permanent gongs at the range I go to are at 220).

3 Likes

I’ve kept it at 7 yards for now. Alternate between two, strong, and weak hand, plus changing between isosceles and weaver stance. 100 rounds only goes so far. Probably need to buy a .22 to augment my .40.

3 Likes

I usually start cold, somewhere around 3 to 5 yards, draw from holster and fire. I mix it up; sometimes two center mass with a head shot, other times five or six shots center mass. I also will sometimes go back to the ready position, then simulate another bad guy showing up and firing again before reholstering. Either way, I try to look around to make sure the “scene” is secure before reholstering. I shoot at additional distances also, the further ones not as quick. Nice mix of reloads and malfunctions thrown in for good measure.

4 Likes

Does anyone use the turn/facing targeting systems at their range? What distance do you set those to?

3 Likes

Pistol i like to start cold at 25 yds. Figuring those will be my worst shots of the day and show me how ive improved since my last trip.
Rifle i shoot my AR anywhere from 3 to 500 yds. In transition drills i shoot both pistol and rifle at various distances and angles from 3 to 25 yds.

5 Likes

I don’t usually measure, but I do like to practice using the “21 foot rule” as a general guideline for a handgun. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

The one time I did it at ROR I set it to 10 I believe.

3 Likes

Usually I set my target about 7 to 10 yards because I most often carry practitioner for conceal carry otherwise I’m at about 25 yards if I’m shooting for accuracy when time is not an issue.but since I’m constantly carrying concealed I like to keep my skills uP…

3 Likes

My carry gun 3-10 yards, with an occasional longer shot out to 50. My 6 inch 357, 10 to 100, with most shooting done at 25-30. Rifles, I like 100 yards, and just keep trying smaller targets. 8 Oz milk jugs full of water are my favorites.

3 Likes

7 yards or closer for the legal SD distance, but I do like to send it out farther a bit at a time to see if I can hit it and where. Not much else to do at indoor ranges which is all we have, and we have to go out of state for those

3 Likes

Usually at 7-10 yards for pistol and sometimes closer depending what kind of drill i am doing. Rifle would be at 25 - 50 yards ( 223). Carbine i will shoot 25 yards or better . Some qualifying is at 15 yards so i shoot at that distance just to stay up with it

2 Likes

Depends on Pistol size

1. Full size I use 10 and 25 yards
  2. Compact size 7, 10 and 15 yards
  3. Sub Comapct size 7 and 10 yards
    Usually full size has more accuracy due to barrel length 4"+ as the barrel gets shorter it becomes less accurate for longer distance.
5 Likes

I like 15 and 25 feet but will send it out to 50 for fun. I hit my target. But I’m still working on a more consistent grip. AR I like 25 to 100 yards. I’m looking for a place I can shoot 300 yards. Expert marksman on M16. My AR has a 16.5” barrel. So that a bit different than the M16 @ 20” I believe. It’s new.

3 Likes

I usually start at 10 or 15 feet, and extend it out to 45 feet, whatever 25 yards is. I do most of my training anywhere 20 feet and under. I enjoy long distance because that is where I am weak. Gives the most challenge.

3 Likes

For dry fire it is usually about 3-7 yards (in my safe environment basement). A the life fire range it is 3-7 yards. I am not much better outside of that. After watching today’s into the fray, I am convinced that I need to keep working at this range with my combative skills.

4 Likes