What distance do you set your target at (handgun)?

For me this is not a straight forward answer. It depends on what handgun I am shooting and how long it has been since I was last out shooting.
I have one handgun (the first handgun I purchased) my .357 mag that I have sighted in for 100 yards (open sites). I bought it for deer hunting back in 1985 (first year it was legal in Wisconsin to hunt with a handgun). I originally had it sited for 40 yards thinking I would not take a shot at a distance longer than that.
A situation presented it self for a 70 yard shot (I missed twice while the deer stood there). The third shot dropped it on the spot. After that I knew it had the power to do the job at the longer distances. My longest kill shot has been about 85 yards but I would not hesitate to try a longer shot.

With my self defense weapons I tend to stay 20 yards and under with most of my off hand training under 10 yards. I will never win any awards for my off hand shooting but it is nice to know I can hit center mass if I needed to.

5 Likes

Right now, 7 yards. Working out some issues with sighting (aging vision SUCKS) and that distance is giving me good visibility into my error.
Once I’ve got that back in hand, I’ll work 4, 7, 10 until I’m happy with the 10, then start adding 5 yards at a time.
My dry fire and SIRT space is about 4 yards.

3 Likes

Just curious @LaughingEvil, but do you really think you would let someone get as close as 6 feet before he is a danger enough to shoot at him? I live in a Medium Sized two Bedroom apartment and if someone actually made it through my living room door or window and I came out of my bedroom with my gun, the distance is about 17 feet from hallway to living room area and I would not want to let him or her get closer than that. Just my preference but I would think that 6 feet is much too close.

1 Like

@Dawn, To answer a question with a question, What range do you set your target at if you are practicing for a home invasion? In other words, how close would you let an intruder get before taking that shot?

1 Like

I train at a variety of distances - starting at 21 feet and coming closer.

It’s going to be close quarters for defense in your home - unless you have a mansion… :thinking:

3 Likes

Why not farther? Devils advocate time. We don’t just carry for defense against aggressive humans. The greatest chance of my ever using a gun in self defense, is against a non human aggressor. If an angry bear, rabid dog, etc is about to attack, they can cover 50, 60, 100 feet very quickly. Add the fact, that those animals are much tougher to bring down, and long distance rounds in target become an extremely valuable skill set. Just my humble opinion.

3 Likes

Because the question was where do I set it for home defense and my house isn’t that big. :grin:

4 Likes

Details, details.

3 Likes

I love a challenge. I practice with several targets and I mark off " 7, 10, and 15 yards ".
I love walking at fast pace backwards with proper stance and use multiple angles and
all distances of those targets. 15 to 20 yards steal targets.

William Smith

3 Likes

I concentrate my handguns in the under 3 inch barrel length which is what I CC so I set target distances mainly from 3 to 15 yards as most self defense distances are in those parameters. Occasionally I will practice at 25 yards just so I know I can be capable at that distance.

4 Likes

LOL! I train at a variety of distances, @45IPAC. However I am focused on the closer distances as that is where a self-defense incident will take place.

I don’t go in areas where there are bears too often, and my dogs would scare off most dogs (and some humans) when they go in defensive mode. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Roger and I think alike, I think.

I practice at ranges from 5 to 15 yards but I do try to be as accurate as I can at ranges around 25 yards. My thought is this, If I can hit the target and I mean as close to the center at 25 yards, then I know that any shots at a closer target will be spot on.

1 Like

5-10 meters to paper, 15-20 meters to the three steel stations. All in my backyard.

2 Likes

I am glad that someone takes the time to see how far they can be accurate and
that is good. The best help to train is at 5 to 15 yards and to be even greater, The
speeds will come to you faster and faster. There are some great videos that can help
for you to become greater. USCCA

4 Likes

Considering that most shooting instructors use data from Tom Givens, the FEDs and other sources tend to hold to this, I general follow the pattern that was set forth in his research in defensive shootings. Research shows 3% of incidents happen under 3 yards, 85% on incidents happen between 3 and 5 yards, 5% of shooting are between 5 and 7 yards and 5% are between 7 and 25 yards.

For a typical 100 round practice, I use a combat stance and shoot starting at three yards, do most of my shooting at 5 yards, then 10 or 15 rounds at 7 yards. These shots are fired in strings of three to five rounds. Generally going for a six inch circle. Then I switch to a weaver stance and hoot 10 or 15 rounds at 10 to 20 yards. These are generally shot in pairs and a slower pace, also trying to maintain a six inch circle.

Another good practice is the FBI qualification test.

6 Likes

I usually train at 3, 7, 15, and 25 yds. Adding strong hand only and weak hand only at the 3 and 7 yd strings of fire, and adding lateral movement to the 7, 15, and 25 yd strings. I try to add in a malfunction clearance and tactical reload ( but i dont always allways remember to). On tq-21 targets.

3 Likes

When available/allowed I draw from my holster
3 yds
7 yds
50 ft

4 Likes

Does your range allow draw from holster, @Dave2? Or is it something you do as dryfire training?

2 Likes

Dawn,

I am a life member at Tusco Rifle Club (http://www.tuscorifle.org/)

On the outdoor range I can draw.

Other places, indoor ranges don’t allow it typically, however I am blessed as I can shoot in my own back yard.

My dry fire routine is usually more about muscle memory, alignment if the sight picture, and trigger pull over the draw.

Thanks,

David

3 Likes

Road trip to David’s house! :rofl:

Glad you’ve got the room for that! Being able to do live draw from a holster training is a huge advantage! And the range looks petty awesome. They’ve got a great calendar of events going on!

3 Likes