How do you know you shoot well?

Got the tee and diploma?

Shooting known/established standards on a shot timer.

I like “The Test” (hackathorn/vickers).

Distance: 10 yards
Rounds fired: 10
Target: NRA B8, hits in the black count (5.5" diameter circle)
Start position: Low ready
Firearm: EDC handgun
Par Time: 10 seconds

For bonus points, shoot it clean (all 10 in the black) as fast as you can, blow away the 10 second par time.
Additional bonus points: Shoot it clean under par from concealment, starting hands on the bill of you cap

Variation: Half Test, as above, but 5 yards and 5 seconds (still 10 rounds)

My personal best is 10 rounds into the B8 at 10 yards for a score of 99/100 in 4.98 seconds with my EDC

2 Likes

I know that I do not shoot well. I shoot because I enjoy it.

8 Likes

Well enough.

5 Likes

I hope I never find out.

5 Likes

I know I never shoot well enough. Every new day brings something that can be improved.

4 Likes

All of my guns and some of my friends shoot better than I do. That being said, I shoot fairly well with a pistol at defensive ranges. Certainly, within a minute of bad guy at 5-10 yds. I do a 5-7-5 drill, which is five rounds in the black at seven yards in less than five seconds. The key is focus.

4 Likes

When you HIT your intended target and not miss a single shot from any distance, any position, sitting, standing, flat on the ground, rolling, running, crawling you’ll know you shoot well. WHEW!! I need more practice.

1 Like

When you practice drills and perform well. When you take certification drills that the LE requirements or DEA or FBI and you pass. These drills are all timed and at different distances. These are good measurments of shooting skills. Participation in an IDPA. The International Defensive Pistol Association ( IDPA ) is the governing body of a shooting sport that simulates self-defense scenarios and real life encounters.

1 Like

For concealed carry purposes, I agree with many who believe the 5x5 drill by Gila Hayes and adapted by Claude Werner is an excellent standard.

3 Likes

5x5 is good.

5 shots into a 5" circle at 5 yards in 5 seconds or less, and do it 5 times straight to prove you’ve really got it and it’s not a fluke

Bonus points: Do it from concealment

3 Likes

I hope I don’t ever get to find out if I’m good enough, but I keep practicing just in case.

6 Likes

If you think you shoot well, try the dot torture drill.

Very humbling.

5 Likes

Indeed.

If you’ve never done it before, here is my advice for the first time.

3 yards
Go 3x slower than you think you need to.

If you get 50/50, increase distance.

1 Like

I have never been assaulted or attacked by a dot, do they travel in packs? :thinking:

6 Likes

What Ronald 150 said. :neutral_face:
JA1 :sunglasses:

1 Like

They do! And in LARGE packs as well:

As to the bigger question, how do you know you shoot well? You know it when you’re the one that gets back up:

5 Likes

I don’t know if I’m good or not. I can draw and put 6 on an 8" paper plate from 10 yards in 10 seconds with my EDC. To me, that’s good, I think…

5 Likes

May I never be a paper plate 10 yds from you.

4 Likes

amen to that