2022 November shooting competition

I could not wait to put this one out.
The concept of the Mozambique Drill is to ensure a threat is stopped even if the initial center mass shots fail to get the job done. If the target continues to advance despite two well-placed shots to the torso, the shooter follows up with a more precisely aimed (and more difficult to accomplish) head shot. An accurate shot to the T-zone (the area between the eyebrows and upper lip, also called the ocular cavity) damages the brain and central nervous system and secures instant incapacitation of the target.
You’ve probably heard the old “Rule of Threes” cliché: the average gunfight involves three rounds fired at three yards in three seconds or less. I want to focus on just the distance part of that for now. Some people said 3 yards or less. Or 3 feet. Or 20 feet or some other arbitrary distance for the typical gunfight.

We will be starting at 2 yards with the Mozambique drill but, we will be doing three to the body and two to the head with 7 seconds to do this. Then we will have you move back to 3 yards and again 5 shots.

Then to top it off we are going to do the Bill drill at 5 yards, then 7 yards, a finish up at 10 yards with 5 rounds at each distance. When it comes to self-defense shooting, the goal is to get multiple rounds on target as fast as possible to eliminate a threat. This drill will get you in the habit of placing multiple pieces of lead on target without assessing your accuracy between each shot. Time is of the essence as well as accuracy.
Both hands point shooting - 2 yards, 3 rounds - body aimed, 2 rounds head, 7 seconds
Strong hand - 3 yards, 3 rounds body, 2 rounds head 7 seconds.
Weak hand - 3 yards, 3 rounds body, 2 rounds head 7 seconds. Starting from the low ready.
Both hands - 3 yards, 3 rounds body, 2 rounds head 7 seconds.
Strong hand - 5 yards, 3 rounds body, 2 rounds head 7 seconds.
Weak hand - 5 yards, 3 rounds body, 2 rounds head 7 seconds. Starting from the low ready.
Both hands - 5 yards, 3 rounds body, 2 rounds head 7 seconds.
Weak hand - 5 yards, 5 rounds 7 seconds. Starting from the low ready.
Strong hand - 5 yards, 5 rounds 7 seconds.
Both hands - 5 yards, 5 rounds 7 seconds.
7 yards, 5 rounds, 8 seconds
10 yards, 5 rounds, 10 seconds

Then to top this off only A zone shots count!
Any shot touching a line on the A zone count but any others are a miss and do not count.
Each shot is a point with 50 points available.
41 points is a passing score.

Remember:

• All guns are always loaded.
  • Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
  • Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
  • Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Be safe, practice and have fun!

11 Likes

Seems simple enough brother @Todd30 and I may have some of these targets.

2 Likes

What is the start position?

3 Likes

2 yards standing concealed.

1 Like

A little confused what 2 yards mean.

Are all of these strings shot on the timer from concealment?

2 Likes

6 feet = 2 yards
Yes, all strings are shot from concealment.

FBI statistics indicate that the largest single group of police officers killed are shot at a distance of 0 to 5 feet from the subject.

1 Like

I meant in the contact of, I asked what the start position was, and you said 2 yards. I think it was a misunderstanding, I wanted to know the way that we start while waiting for the timer to beep…like is the gun holsters, is it concealed, where do our hands have to be, etc. I think you answered by saying you start at the closet position (2 yards) and work your way farther out (the order presented in your OP)

Side note: I’m not a police officer, I don’t plan to intentionally chase down and close distance on violent criminals to attempt to handcuff them and take them to jail. :wink:

I think for private citizens carrying concealed and acting in legal self defense the majority of DGU distances fall in the 9-15 feet (3-5 yards) range

Which is well represented in you Nov comp

Tom Givens has a relatively small sample size but it’s a good sample and his students actually have the same % of shootings at 15-25 yards as they do at 0-2 yards, FWIW

1 Like

Actually, another question. :stuck_out_tongue:

Is the start position for every stage from concealment while we wait for the beep of the timer…even weak hand only? (left hand for most of us) as in draw on the clock from our concealed carry position using our off-hand only?

1 Like

Sorry for the misunderstanding I am a little slow! Good points on the offhand firing. I will have to fix that. I had the idea of practicing your draw on each of the stages from conceal but I can see that would not work as well. I shall fix it. It will be weak hand from the low and ready. Thank you!

As for the position of the hands drawing from concealment, I am going to be real, any way you want to. I personally will be hanging my hands down my side like I normally have my hands.

As for the distances of these stages, just like when and where we have to defend ourselves, we cannot choose how close they get to us. So, I am covering them all.

2 Likes

LOL!!! 2 yards, Mozambique. LOL!!!

1 Like

And they use to say that shooting is an easy task… :joy: :joy: :joy:

Single simple drill caused 24 hr discussion. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

And, if you are using a range that does not allow drawing from conceal just go from low and ready.

2 Likes

How many seconds do you take off the par time for not drawing on the timer (starting low ready)?

2 seconds quicker seems about right?

3 Likes

Just note your time. You can use it as a reference if you ever shoot it again to see how you have progressed.

1 Like

If you do a drill at the range, save the results however you can so the next time you do the drill you can see where you have improved and what you need to work on. This way you can gauge your training and skills to see how you are doing.

2 Likes

That’s great for drills, but I was thinking it was going to be more of a competition evened up between participants.

You are spot on though. Should be no different than going to the gym and recording exercise/weight/sets/reps/rest times or running and recording time and distance.

Training as opposed to exercise or plinking can often be observed through the process, progression, record keeping, etc

1 Like

I am looking forward to everyone’s time and scores.

3 Likes

Looks all these explanations are more complicated than the drill itself :sweat_smile:

4 Likes