Weekend Drill: Mozambique Drill

There’s some controversy about headshots, but there are times when you might have to take one. We train for the possible but focus most of our training on the probable which is why we spend more time shooting high center chest.

Occasionally training for possible (headshots) is a good idea and this drill can help:

Remember, the head is a very small and movable target that has a lot of bone to protect the brain. This target shows how small the most viable target of the head is. Compare the target to the skull to help you visualize where you’d have to shoot for the best self-defense shot.
image image
Not my target, just one used for an example.
Skull picture from www.skullsunlimited.com

Do you practice the Mozambique drill?

4 Likes

It’s one of the last things I practice when i do holster draw. I don’t do any side stepping though, I really should.

1 Like

Practice it? It’s my favorite drill to practice.

4 Likes

Yes, of course I do practice this. Like @45IPAC, it’s one of my favorite.

3 Likes

I was a huge proponent of the Mozambique drill as well as El Presidente and am still today as I have done it so many times I sometimes forget my NEW preferred drill. Aptly named Ballzambique: 1 round in the pelvic girdle, 1 round in the chest, 1 round in the head. 2 of the three shots generally are outside normal body armor protection and the firearm naturally follows recoil.

As a point of anatomy. If you ever get the opportunity to talk with a plastic or neuro surgeon ask him/her/it to show you how thick (by using their fingers) the skin, muscle and fat there is surrounding the skull. You might be suprised at how far apart their fingers are. Additionally skulls are three dimensional, the temporal bone on either side of the head is flat and fairly thin (draw a 2" by 3" rectangle and place it on top of your ear with the back edge even with the back of your ear. directly under the ear is also where the spine resides and is a fine option too at about 1.5" wide all the way around. The back of the skull is fairly well protected but center line from below the middle of the ear to the bridge of the shoulders is soft and squishy and the spine lives in there. Given the opportunity, anywhere in the neck with modern handgun ammo is going to be terminal (4 big pipes full of blood) and the closer to center instantaneously lights out if you hit the spine. Ballistic Anatomy 101 concluded for today :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

I made this for my laser G-Sight training. I used my own dimensions as the size. Also, I figured the upper spine was a good addition.

3 Likes

Always practice the failure to stop drill.

4 Likes

We always argue that IF the head shot is the failure to stop answer, then why not start there?

1 Like

The first reason is that your goal is to stop the threat, not to kill the person.
The second reason is that center of mass is a larger area to place shots, roughly 3+ square feet versus less than 1 square foot.
The third reason is the perception of the police, prosecutor, judge, jury and public.

1 Like

And that’s the reason people close to Law call this drill " Failure To Stop Drill"…

2 Likes