Greenwood gun drill

After many conversations about the Greenwood mall shooting, it is here by popular demand.
It is simple as: 10 shots in 15 seconds! At 40 yards advancing to 30 yards.
I feel as though the attributes to a real-life lesson should be tried out as a challenge to yourselves.
Feel free but they are not! Get yourself some USCCA Targets and utilize these targets for this drill.

10 Likes

I dontā€™ think I have anywhere I can ā€œrapid fireā€ a handgun at a target 40 yards away. The state (hunters) ranges donā€™t like anything not super slow, and the indoor ranges cap at 25 yards.

Going to have to get something downsized to shoot at 25. Have to figure the sizeā€¦

4 Likes

Well, at 25 yards just use the same target but only except the A portion of the target. Aim small miss small!

7 Likes

I like drills like this. We had one at our club for a real defense shooting.

2 Likes

I got this covered, 40 yards? Got it all covered!

1 Like

Only asking a question. What is the difference in these from those life size targets fro Amazon or elsewhere? My problem is that I have a smallish home range and need an equivalent. But then again I can just choose small targets like some of those peal and stick 4ā€ ones from 10-15 yards.

1 Like

My hillbilly math calculates the B-29 target to be about half the size as the B-27 NRA target.
So for people with indoor ranges and limited distance, the half size target at 15 yards equals the full-size target at 30.
The half size target at 20 yards equals the full size at 40.

3 Likes

For 10 yards or maybe even 15 yards I think an NRA B8 would be a great target. Itā€™s a 5.5" circle for the ā€˜blackā€™ (9/10 rings).

A 4" circle would be great too but at 15 yards thatā€™s a pretty tight shot on the clock

1 Like

Good info but Iā€™m cheap and look to save a buck wherever I can. I think I would used a less expensive target. Iā€™ll have to check to see if there is much of a difference. You donā€™t get rich by giving other ppl your money. Gotta live within your means.

2 Likes

Well then measure out how big you think the scrawny wimpy attackers are and spray paint the outline on left over corrugated boxes. I doubt any of them are as large as the full size target anyway. I feel like I have found treasure when I come across a large cardboard box that I can use for tracking misses at long distance!

I referenced the NRA targets so everyone would have a known standard and they could be purchased from more places.

2 Likes

I use free online targets and print them at home.

The one good thing about kidsā€™ school projects with the trifold cardboard is what you do after the assignment is graded. My kids have as much fun shooting them up as I do.

4 Likes

Yeah this definitely changed my mind about longer pistol shots. Luckily the range I go to has personal bays extending to 50 yards and can do what I want.

1 Like

Iā€™m new to this type of shooting targets. I donā€™t know the difference between a B-27 and a B-29. At first glance I thought of B-29 as the WWII bomber, hahaha. Iā€™m used to taking a can or similar objects out to shoot.

2 Likes

And just in case anyone is concerned about trajectory, itā€™s a non issue at 50 yards or less. I put in 9mm subsonic 147 grain in the app. 10 yard zero with sights 0.5ā€ over the bore.

2 Likes

Thanks for doing the math.

I will also add I have previously shot a Glock 26 at 50 yards and I noticed no discernible difference in POA vs POI

3 Likes

More math.
I found for the little 380 acp Underwood loads a Hornady 90 grain XTP at an advertised 1025 FPS and itā€™s not a +P load.

(0.099 ballistic coefficient)
The trajectory is nearly identical but the energy numbers are much lower.

And then I went back and looked at the 9mm load. It has the same energy at 280 yards as the compared 380 load at the muzzle!!!

3 Likes

I buy targets at my LGS for less than $1 each that are printed on 23" x 35" paper, which is the size I built my target frame. The silhouettes are roughly life size and I have the frame set so that the ā€œheadā€ is at about 5ā€™11". The range I belong to has 30 yd. pistol bays, but I can always go over to the rifle side if I want the full 40 yds.

2 Likes

Just letting those who do not know where to receive the targets that they are available.
It is nice having the facilities to shoot at different ranges.
I have shot my .45 to the 50-yard line just because I wanted to see if I could do it and I can!

4 Likes

Similar at my range. 25 yard pistol ranges but 100 yard rifle range. If no one is at the rifle range I can use it for this course of fire. I like to go at odd times when no one is there so I can do what I want.

4 Likes

Well? Anybody tried it?

I had some B-34 targets. They are 14ā€ x 24ā€
So I put one at a measured 30 yards. (Rangefinder in photo at the front of my bench.) Removed my carry magazine and the round in the chamber. Inserted practice magazine that resides in the truck door pocket and racked the slide. Put back in holster and set the phone on the table.

Hit start on the stopwatch. Drew and fired one round and got a failure for the slide to close. Pulled the slide back and two cartridges fell out on the table. Continued firing and hit the stop button on the phone after sending ten down range. 23.4 seconds total.

Had seven rounds on the paper. Group was lower than the x on the bottom of the paper. 70% minus the time penalty.

1 Like