"Novelty items" that can get you in trouble legally

Thanks for your comment, Fish, and I certainly respect your choices.:blush: There is more than one way to approach these things.I

Regards.
I donā€™t carry a gun, I carry a tool to be used as a last resort in defense of life.

5 Likes

To me itā€™s a catch 22 situation.

Where you are likely to get negative reactions to open carry is in states/cities where you have a strong leftwing anti gun bias.

In order to get past that bias and teach people to think thereā€™s no better antidote than law abiding citizens going about their daily lives open carrying.

If your only concept of people with guns is negative, be that from interactions with LEOā€™s or criminals or daily exposure to news about gang shootings etc it is natural for them to be predisposed to have negative impressions when they see someone carrying.

The only way to counteract that is with as I said, them having more and more interactions with law abiding folks OCā€™ng.

Next, there is an absolute deterrent effect to OC as we know from interviews with felons. Something like 70% of convicted felons state that simply knowing that someone is armed has deterred them or someone they know from committing a crime.

As individuals we have to weight the loss of the tactical advantage of CC and the deterrent effect of OC and make our own decisions.

I carry both ways. Usually in cold weather Iā€™m CCā€™ng, warm weather OC.

4 Likes

These are the Morale Patches I have on my Range Bag.

8 Likes

Good stuff, Fish, and nicely done. I especially like that you includes the Gun Safety rules.

When I was eight years old my father have me my first bb gun. Before he would even let me open the box he made me memorize and explain the four rules. He did have an addition to the first rule: Treat every firearm as if it is loadedand never, ever believe what anyone tells you about its load condition! Check for yourself every time.

Regards.

5 Likes

I love the patches, @Fish! Unfortunately, Iā€™d need to find a different one for NKDAā€¦ And now that I think about it :thinking:, I really should put that info in my range bag and bug out bags, just in case.

3 Likes

A quick Amazon search gives some for you. I donā€™t know your needs, but I saw Penicillin, Sulfa, Morphine, Aspirin (ASA), Cipro, and KDA (Known Drug Allergy).

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=morale+patch+allergy&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

4 Likes

Penicillin is my big one - although Iā€™m lucky enough to allergic to most antibiotics. Thanks for sharing that, @Fish!

I had morphine after a surgery once - Iā€™m very glad I wasnā€™t allergic to that as it was very helpful with pain during my recovery.

3 Likes

Several of my friends either have medical bracelets, or they start getting tattoos on their wrists for drug allergies / being diabetic.

4 Likes

There are medic alert type bracelets available today that are RFID and can carry virtually your whole medical history on them. You can also get it all downloaded to a flash drive that is worn like a necklace.

Those with serious conditions should probably consider something like that.

6 Likes

Hereā€™s an example of why the right holster is important!

2 Likes

I too am allergic to several antibiotic families, which made a recent MRSA infection stressful.

3 Likes

I have a rare medical condition, that will actually kill me if not treated immediately. So I wear a bracelet, necklace, and a USB drive. So I thought I had made myself as safe as I could, as my condition untreated will progress to a coma-like state.

In my town every possible First Responder knows me. If a call comes in from my address, phone, or my tag is ran. They get detailed instructions on my condition.

I had an episode, outside of my town, and yet nearly died, even with my bracelet, necklace, and USB. After I was recovered, I actually called the different First Responderā€™s, and asked why they didnā€™t follow the instructions for treatment of my condition that are on my bracelet, necklace, etc. Their replyā€¦

ā€œThey donā€™t check for thatā€.

Scared the heck out of me. I really try to not go outside of areas now. Knowing I came that close to death because the First Responderā€™s didnā€™t even look.

Whatā€™s especially bad. How quickly my condition progresses, if left untreated. Yet how easily my condition can be treated. I carry an emergency injection everywhere and all I need is for that injection to be given. Yet despite, all of my prep, I nearly died because no one read the instructions on the bright red and white bracelet or necklace.

YMMV.

2 Likes

Check out Road ID. Iā€™ve got a Steroids allergy (first thing given in most trauma cases) so I wear an ID 24/7. Has a serial # and phone#/ electronic access that give access to medical history. I started wearing one 10 years ago.

2 Likes

I am familiar with that, however, as I pointed out. I had on a bright red with white letters (AMA sponsored) bracelet, 3 dog tags in bright red and white (both have appropriately wording and imaging) and a USB device.

They ignored all of it, as their claim was they do not train for that, they ignore it.

Now I was a flight medic, both civilian and military. I know that the standard at that time was you looked for medical ID devices.

At the scene there were more than a dozen EMS personnel. FD-Check, Ambulance Paramedics-Check, LEO-Check, my wife finally realized I wasnā€™t in the restaurant, came out, worked her way through the crowd, and finally got the police to let her through.

Before she got there, I was given

1. Narcan - they thought I might have ODā€™ed

2. Activated Charcoal - To bind with any ā€œsubstanceā€ in my stomach

3. Ipecac Syrup - A purgative to make me throw up.

Secret Squirrel edit. :chipmunk:
All three of the steps they took worsened my condition.

When my wife got there and told them ALL of the instructions for my care were on my bracelet, necklace, and USB hard drive, that I had an Emergency injection in my pocket.

They still would not give me the injection, even though it was in its original wapping and it states what the medication is and how it is to be used. My wife got them to put it in my hand, wrap their hands around my hand, lifted my arm up and let gravity pull the needle into my thigh, and allowed my wife to press the injector to push the medication into my body.

I could have had a brass band and clowns to draw attention to my condition and they still would have ignored it.

So I donā€™t go out without my wife. Itā€™s not worth the risk. This is a condition that is incurable, and must be proactively monitored, my best actions is to treat myself with rescue doses of my prescribed medications and if I have an overwhelming crisis, my emergency injection.

Iā€™ve been living with this for years. There is literally, nothing else I can do. I donā€™t wear red clothing or cover up any of the medical ID, so it can be easily seen. It took over a year to get the various First Responderā€™s in my town to get on the same page and it literally took me getting the Mayor and my Congressman to get the various Chiefā€™s of the various First Responderā€™s into one office, so a viable strategy could be worked out.

If you come into my home, there is only one path to the living area (that is intentional), at the top of the stairs is a bright red 1 foot square case attached to the wall, with white lettering that states it holds my emergency injection.

YMMV.

4 Likes

I myself am allergic to most antibiotics. Iā€™ve been put into arrest more than once be ause it has been ignored. The past two times, Iā€™ve gone in for surgery, they were still about to give me these antibiotics intravenously, despite the wristband, clipboard, and electronic records. Its only because I check the IV bags myself, and have made them correct it, that more or worse hasnā€™t happened. I have considered, getting the information tattooed on my forearm and collarbone to be seen in case of emergency.

4 Likes

@Hailey

I am sorry to hear that. I know how you feel on that. It is incredibly frustrating, to have to remind your Doctorā€™s. I have to have an emergency dose injection before I have any procedures done on me. Trying to get them to do a consult with Endocrinology is like pulling teeth.

3 Likes

Scary stuff there! Sadly the ā€œqualityā€ of EMS across the nation runs from incredibly good to unbelievably poor. Sounds like you had an experience with the latter. Make you wonder how many folks each year have bad outcomes because of a lack of professionalism by first responders. I worked in healthcare for 42 years, and despite training and continuing emphasis on checking pt IDā€™s there are still cases of medication errors and wrong site/wrong patient surgeriesšŸ˜³. If you are conscious you have to be your own advocate, if unconscious, without someone to act as your advocate, youā€™re at risk.,

2 Likes

@Hailey @Zavier_D - we considered getting my hubbyā€™s blood thinner status tattooed on his arms at the veins, and a picture of his mechanical heart valve tattooed on his chestā€¦ but since heā€™s on blood thinners tattoos are kinda out. :roll_eyes:

Heā€™s got a statin allergy and the last time he was in they didnā€™t check and started him on statins anywayā€¦ got one dose in before I caught it and stopped it. Even with all the checks in, at a very good hospital, they still missed it.

2 Likes

So Iā€™m not the only one considering tattoos. Iā€™m sorry you and your husband have also run into these complications. Iā€™m kinda surprised at the commonality being revealed.

2 Likes

Maybe one more bracelet that says, ā€œGot my lawyer on speed dial!ā€

When my wife had to be in the hospital for a while, I typed up a ā€œresumeā€ listing all her medications, her surgeries, and her major medical issues. I included LIFE THREATENING ALLERGY TO MORPHINE in large red letters, then taped it to her head board. Nobody objected to it.

Interns are sometimes near the end of a 36-hour shift. Hospitals do this because of a shortage of medical help - Iā€™m mot excusing it, understand, but I consider it a potential threat that I must anticipate and prepare for.

Do what you have to do to prevent an unfortunete situation that could have been prevented.

2 Likes