Security Stickers, good or bad idea?

Are stickers that state such a good or bad idea to place on outside doors of a home:

ATTENTION
THE OWNER OF THIS PROPERTY IS ARMED AND PREPARED TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY FROM CRIMINAL OFFENSE.
THERE IS NOTHING INSIDE WORTH RISKING YOUR LIFE FOR!

Thanks for the input…

6 Likes
6 Likes

Personally, I wouldn’t advertise the fact that I have firearms. If someone wants your stuff badly enough it isn’t going to make much difference… I’m guessing most scumbags assume/accept the risk that whomever they are targeting might be armed. By advertising you have firearms it just makes you a target for people who are specifically trying to steal firearms!

I just have one sticker on a front window in the house that came with my security system

EDIT to add: Also, depending on where you live and how well you know your neighbors it could end up making some waves, especially in more liberal areas

8 Likes

I cherish the idea of a great surprise! That moment in time when they freeze, dumbfounded and bewildered just waiting for the fight or flee to kick in! That’s when I unleash with extreme prejudice, forewarned is forearmed! No warnings at this castle, enter at your own risk!
Maybe a small alarm sticker just for good measure!
Look how well these work!
Translation, target rich environment!

5 Likes

Never show your hand. Do not advertise your capability, goes against all basic rules of maintaining a tactical (and strategic for that matter) advantage. The less your adversary knows about you, the larger your advantage. By the way, great conversation topic @DavidO .

10 Likes

Welcome to the community @DavidO

I personally think those signs don’t work as intended. They just tell criminals you have firearms and likely other stuff worth stealing. Plus depending on the content they could be used against you in court should you ever need to defend yourself.

The only signs I’d consider posting are alarm system signs. Though I would use signs that don’t match the system you are using so as not to give extra intel to the more experienced criminals who might target your home.

8 Likes

Welcome to the family @DavidO and God bless you. The only thing I have posted outside on the lawn is my ADT alarm sign. Next to my doorbell is my USCCA sticker but you have to be close up to even notice it.

6 Likes

That’s a great idea, how do you acquire signs from other reputable security companies?

3 Likes

Amazon: Amazon.com

Amazon for ADT stickers: Amazon.com

4 Likes

Amazon seems to have most the major alarm brands. @DavidO posted one example in his second link.

4 Likes

Be the gray man, don’t advertise. No Solicitors or No Trespassing OK. No gun related stickers on car including FOP, Sheriff’s Association, even Military unit stickers. Watch Tim Kennedy’s Sheepdog Response youtube on walking the Walmart parking lot looking for such things as potential burglary targets specific to firearms.

5 Likes

Thieves are looking for easy targets. If you advertise you have firearms they will case the house and wait until you are not there to get their hands on firearms, if that is what they are looking for. Don’t advertise.

The only advertisement should be a sign that you have an alarm system. Place this on every window that is accessible from the ground floor of your house. Be aware that all electronic devices, including alarm systems have vulnerabilities. Some of them are known and never fixed. If you advertise what specific type of alarm system you have you might also be giving the potential intruder a leg up to defeat your alarm system. So advertise (Protected by Security System), but not necessarily the particulars (Protected by Simplisafe).

The potential intruder might see that and simply select a different target that is not your house/property.

4 Likes

My opinion, my answer is “no” to the question of “sign saying you might kill somebody” (which that example does).

Well kept, good lines of sight, good lighting, security/alarm signs, multiple visible cameras, secured and locked doors and windows, anybody looking see.

If another sign is desired, IMO, “No Trespassing” communicates well

6 Likes

It seems as though in Florida this is an understatement and is proudly displayed in numerous areas after Hurricane Ian! Or something to the effect “you loot, we shoot”…

I consider that a fair warning!

Me, I’d think twice!

Somehow and in someway if everyone respected life as we do, more signs should be proudly displayed as long as follow up is justified!
We can definitely reduce the crime rate and if they want to “defund the police” , I just became the law enforcement at my castle!

Maybe it’s time… you burgle, we bury!

4 Likes

If I was a criminal, I’d simply wait for the owner to leave home, then go steal his firearms.

2 Likes

Absolutely not. If you ever have a SD incident, the D.A. will use it to speak to your intent.

I have 4 things on my house, 3 required by my insurance.

1. A security warning that you may be being monitored by visual and audio security.

2. Beware of Dog sign.

3. No trespassing sign

4. An American flag.

4 Likes

Wow… Just flying our American Flag advertises us a Red Blooded American Conservative Christian Gun Owners.
Maybe we should stop flying our Flag too??? :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

@BRUCE26 Mmmm :thinking: Not Really in a way, flying an American Flag state that you’re an American and WILL exercise your CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS somewhat hinting 2A to protect the home. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

When would be the most appropriate time to invade the home when you watched me leave, 1 minute, 5, 15 minutes?
Just wondering so I can change my timing. See, on certain occasions I double back to my home as if I’d forgotten something. Usually when I see something out of place.
Strange car, person, a leaf out of place. My intuition or my gut is dead on, I trust it. I have a “sixth sense”, never seen any dead people, though! Although, you don’t want to be in my house when I return, to stop the threat, of course!

2 Likes

I see you don’t listen to the “leftist” news. It’s always good to know how the “enemy” thinks of us. I am also known for “rhetorical” comments. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes