Gun Advertising

My neighbors have signs up " smile your on camera" and " we have guns" is this a good idea? Or an invitation to get robbed? Thoughts?

1 Like

I have seen the “smile” signs in my neighborhood and I don’t think they deter crime. I have seen videos from those advertised cameras of criminals, with faces covered, breaking into cars. I wouldn’t advertise having guns or home security by Smith and Wesson, you and your home want to be bland, gray man philosophy.

4 Likes

IMO, it can go both ways, especially in a criminals mind. I personally believe you are advertising you have something of value and something that’s easily sold on the streets for a quick profit with signs like that. Cameras and well lit yards, as well as security alarm signs, may deter a criminal, at least to move on to the next house, but if their willing to break into patrol cars as we often hear about, I think those signs just tell them you have something they want and if they want it, they better come armed to get it just Incase someone is home.

3 Likes

No signs! Not about guns, not about surveillance; that just means you have something worth stealing. I have six hyper -vigilant dogs as an early warning system when I’m home and as a deterrent when I’m not,which is rare. Beyond that the appearance of poverty suggests that there’s nothing much worth stealing here, move along.

Yeah,right. The “appearance” of poverty.:confused:

Regards.

3 Likes

It may be a deterrent but could also be an invitation.

3 Likes

I’m kind of partial to something I saw overseas. It simply said, “Smile, wait for flash.” with a camera silhouette. It was printed on the turret of a HMMVE with a 50 cal. :grin:

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

There is a legal aspect to the signage as well. Check out this thread for other views:

I think you’ll find a lot of great conversation there as well.

1 Like