New Springfield firearm: Hellcat

Yes, that is the concern. I know there are a lot of Sig P365 fans here so I was trying to avoid mentioning product names (till now :roll_eyes:). The Sigā€™s had/have issues with firing pins depending on who you listen too. I have seen some Glock 43 that have primer drag as well. I donā€™t see it on XDs or PPS guns of similar size, so I am hopeful that the Hellcat will not have the issue either, but I want to see some fired cases.

2 Likes

This is the first time I see the name ā€œprimer dragā€ :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
And surprisingly this has been reported mostly on SIGs . :thinking: (according to gun forums)

1 Like

Right, but it is more about short barrel handguns than Sig as a manufacture. As @Zee mentioned in her post the slide cycles so fast the firing pin doesnā€™t get a chance to retract from the primer. If you look at popular short barrel/slide guns the P365 has a 3.1 inch barrel, the Glock 43 3.3, SA XDs 3.3ā€¦ so maybe the sweet spot to avoid primer drag is around 3.3 inches? The Hellcat has a 3 inch barrel making it shorter than the P365, maybe SA added weight to the slide to slow it down and/or the recoil spring is helping slow the slide speed? A quick look at some fired cases will tell the story.

2 Likes

My EDC is a Sig P365. I have always had primer drag and have over 2000 rounds through it with no issues. Sig did have a problem with one batch of defective firing pins when it first came out but fixed the problem. I have never had a problem with the 365, it goes bang every time with lots of different ammo.

2 Likes

Glad to hear you have had good luck with your Sig, I donā€™t want this to turn into a ā€œSig bashingā€ post.

1 Like

No problem, just wanted to share my experience with the 365

2 Likes

Well it looks like the Hellcat has primer drag as wellā€¦

Here is a link to the complete Sooch video Springfield Armory Hellcat Micro Compact Pistol Review - YouTube

But if you skip to 15:18 he has a picture of the the P365 cases and the Hellcat (on right) cases side by side. I donā€™t see much difference between the two. Maybe they will offer a Hellcat XL with the 3.3 inch barrel/slide combo like the XDs and fix the issue?

2 Likes

Iā€™m going with this Hellcat from Grumman. More growl! image

1 Like

Iā€™ve been considering getting the Hellcat or the Sig p365. Need to do more research on the Sig

1 Like

Iā€™ve just come back from range, where I talked with guys about SA Hellcat vs SIG365.
They sold already one Hellcat, but they had a chance to check it (did not fire it).
One of stuff members is currently caring Sig365 however he prefers SA Hellcat in the hand. Caring in holster is the same, unnoticeable size difference, but Hellcat sits better in his hand.
Hopefully Iā€™ll be able to check it by myself soon. Theyā€™ve ordered few SA Hellcats and Sigs 365 SAS :muscle:

2 Likes

They also occur due to double strikes.

None of them Iā€™ve ever seen or been aware of are something Iā€™d worry about as they are not likely to cause and reliability issues.

1 Like

My favorite reviewer finally put in his two pennies:

4 Likes

Might replace my Shield. Iā€™m not convinced on the Optical Sight, though. Anyone using one on an EDC?

1 Like

Welcome to the group @James6930 :slight_smile:
I havenā€™t decided to EDC the red dot optics on a carry gun yetā€¦ although I do like them. I might consider it if it co-witnesses with the regular sights, and the regular sights are visible through the optics, and I practice both with the red dot on and with the red dot off.

I like the idea & on the Hellcat, they do co-witness, I just have no experience with themā€¦

1 Like

I have the Shield RMSc on a Walther PPS M2. With some practice the red dot is easy to use (I think it is an advantage for my older eyes). I have put 800 rounds through the gun and the red dot has held its zero. The red dot is ā€œalways onā€ so there is nothing to remember when under stress to activate it. I use the red dot to rack the slide, so no concerns about the strength and durability of it. The addition of the red dot doesnā€™t hurt the ability to conceal the pistol but finding holsters to fit it is a challenge (Dara is the best one I have found for the PPS, not sure if they have a Hellcat holster yet?). The PPS has a site hole to check for a shell in the chamber as does the Hellcat. I have heard some people concerned that gas would escape through the site hole when a shell was fired and discolor the lens on the red dot, I have not had any issue with that in the 800 rounds I have fired.

1 Like

My older eyes are why Iā€™m tempted by the red dot. It seems the front sight is getting smaller & fuzzier every year.

2 Likes

YEP on the ā€œwait, didnā€™t there used to be a front sight there?ā€ problem. The red dot will solve that.

2 Likes

I know this is an old string but figured Iā€™d try before starting a new one.

Anyone have issues with jams using Federal HST ammo.

Next round stuck at top of magazine fails to feed and mag release wonā€™t function.

Had to pry round into position to feed round.

Hell

I own one and would highly recommend it for EDC.

My only two grouses are:
1). A round is loose in the 15rnd mag and it rattles.
2). I do not like the HEX Wasp and do not recommend it as a red dot sight (red dot is not crisp and auto-dim does not work as well as other makes)

Otherwise, great firearm! No complaints through first 1,000+ rounds.

1 Like