New Pistol Thoughts

Trust, comfort / convenience and reliability.
In my case Glock gets trust & reliability.
There are few other mid price handguns with convenience & reliability but no trust.
I need all 3 together. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

So, can you buy me a Staccato for your peace of mind​:question: I know you are just sitting there worrying about poor lil old me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy::rofl:

2 Likes

I’ll see what I can do when I get my bonus :joy::rofl:

3 Likes

Sueweeet. Tell your store that they need to bonus you
I am sitting here holding my breath :lungs: til I turn blue :large_blue_circle: or I need to breath.

2 Likes

You’re going to die holding your breath waiting for me to get a bonus from them. I only work there a few hours a week for range membership and some sweet discounts! It’d be from my normal job. If I told my store anything, it’d be to please donate firearms to the wonderful members of the USCCA community forum, but I don’t think they would think it was as good of an idea as I do :thinking::joy:

3 Likes

My EDC is a Sig Sauer P320 C in .40 S & W which I selected 2 1/2 years before our military chose the Sig Sauer P320 as their new M17, replacing the Beretta 92. The Sig P320 C is the same as the military’s M18. My previous EDC was a Springfield Armory XD-M, also in .40 S & W. The original concern was a possible loss of accuracy going from the SA’s 4.5" barrel down to a 3.9" barrel on my Sig, but I had problems with the 4.5" barrel “peeking” below shirts and jackets while carrying concealed. The first trip to the range dispelled that fear, replacing it with the confidence that increased accuracy brings to the battle!

3 Likes

The cost of my gun I use for EDC is immaterial. It it goes into an evidence bag for me never to see it again, it’s insured as part of my membership benefits so I’ll just buy another one. That’s a whole lot of peace of mind when my Church gun is my Wilson Combat CQB 1911…

5 Likes

I have carried my 1911 Officers Model for some 30 years, modified it, customized it, tuned it and it has become an Icon in my family. “Thumper” as my wife named it has now become too valuable (sentimentally and physically) to risk to the vagaries of law enforcement. I have been told recently by a LEO that given the current prosecutor’s whims that after a period of time (no definable reason for that time) that the firearm used in a court contested case would be cut in half after 60 days. If adjudicated that you made a clean shot you would have the option to get the cut gun back or a check for the “depreciated” used gun price. Not sure of the legalities, just what the man told me.

A$$uMEing that my pistol if used for self defense would be chopped before the final adjudication of my guilt or innocence it seems that carrying a piece with sentimental or significant real value would be folly. I have since found 2 factory pieces which fill my hands appropriately and require no more thought or mental gymnastics to operate in a high stress situation (although I would probably swipe a non existent thumb safety if I had to use them). I have one of each and they are vastly different in size and configuration but both point shoot as well as my old 1911 without the need to think about it. The loss of either would cause me no great financial or emotional stress.

Just moving on in the real world and reducing impacts to my core sensibilities.

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

I get that. I have a few handguns that for sentimental or other reasons will never see SD carry use. Some because they are just special like my mint Python with real Ivory grips, a gift from a friend who was like a brother to me and has passed. And two custom .44 mags, each made by master pistolsmiths friends of mine. Those guns get shot but could never be replaced if I lost them to an evidence bag. There’s no amount of money that bring them back to me.

6 Likes

Somehow I don’t see the USCCA paying for the Gunsmithing. Add in rarity and time spent trying to get the exact model to replace.

For instance, I don’t like the Gen 5 in Glocks. I prefer the 4th Gen Glocks.

1 Like

I don’t carry “rare” or one-of-a-kind customs for SD, though if you can prove the value of the firearm (easy enough) I don’t see why the insurance wouldn’t cover you loss, that’s what it’s there for. In any case my CC guns are excellent First quality guns, and in some cases very expensive guns, but replaceable guns that have no sentimental value to me. Not sure what Gen 4 vs 5 means in this context.

5 Likes

I believe what was meant is you may not be able to get a same generation replacement.
In the case of Glock you should still be able to easily get a Gen 4 replacement. Other brands maybe not so much.

3 Likes

Ahhhhhh, ok. I think there’s enough Glocks of just about every generation out there to go around. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I just got off the phone with the USCCA, the response was what I had sort of figured, as it is what Insurance Carriers generally require. That they will pay the base cost of the firearm. Insurance typically will pay the base, unless you have an additional rider concerning any modifications you have made.

The USCCA representative said he would inquire about whether you could specify a firearm, with additional modifications, as your pistol.

The pistol that I use for competition is a highly modded FNX Tactical .45 with a red dot installed by the manufacturer. I feel that I would have a substantial problem trying to justify the modifications that I have made to it. I shoot IDPA so I am getting trigger time in Self Defense scenario’s, the modifications I have made are specific to shooting faster, and quality of life mods. I stay in .45 so I get the same type of recoil that my SD has.

Edit: After asking this question the Official reply to the USCCA was If the insurance company finds that they will replace your firearm in a covered act of self defense it would be for the guns manufacture’s suggested retail price only. Hope this answers your question.

So that’s why I don’t want to use my best shooting firearm.

3 Likes

That clarifies the discussion about higher priced handguns. These are covered because there is no extra aftermarket improvements needed and retail price remains intact for a long time.

3 Likes

It’s pretty much the answer I figured. Anything in my home that is modified, is listed on my insurance policy. Such as my firearms, which I pay an additional amount for full coverage.

2 Likes

I think I’ve narrowed it down to two pieces. The 226 legion sao with Romeo 1 pro, 320 legion, or Sig Spectre comp. I’ve shot the spectre and it’s super fun! I also shot a 226 da/sa and it was really enjoyable :woozy_face: I do want a staccato, but that’ll be later down the road.

3 Likes

Take out a 2nd mortgage :rofl::joy:. They are ver expensive.
I’m kidding, I’m just jealous. They are pricey though.

3 Likes

They are, but a Staccato has always been on my list and it’s close to time to change the “want” to “have” :slightly_smiling_face: just not quite yet, but this year is the year!

2 Likes

I really enjoy my Hellcat Pro. Great sights and grip. I am very accurate with it.

3 Likes