New Mexico

For some time, I have been thinking of relocating to New Mexico and understand it is a gun friendly State (please correct me if I am wrong). As a gun owner from California, what are the rules in terms of bringing my firearms with me and notifying the State should I decide to relocate.

2 Likes

Hi Jorge,
I think you should contact the new state to get the meat and potatoes of the rules and not just a lot of chatter on here that’s not definitive or absolute, they may end up not having any new rules, then contact our USCCA and see what they are saying also. I don’t know if anyone on here is a New Mexico resident but I’m sure there’s some out here.

2 Likes

New Mexico is beautiful, @Jorge! I haven’t been there since I was in college - and no, I’m not going to tell you how long ago that was. :smiley:

They are a shall issue state, don’t have magazine or ammunition restrictions, do not have Red Flag Laws, and no permit is required to purchase a handgun. You can see a lot more detail on this page:

Does that help?

1 Like

Thank you for the information, @Dawn. So, about college in New Mexico… :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Bring them, you don’t have to notify anyone. You’ll have to get a NM carry permit but that’s no problem.

Where are you considering relocating to exactly? Albuquerque is a mess of crime and gangs, I’d avoid it. Most of the rest of the state is pretty nice but the politics are heavily left in general unfortunately these days.

That’s cool. NM carry permit easy to obtain? Considering Albuquerque or Rio Rancho.

You couldn’t pay me to live in Bernallio county.

Seriously Clovis, Portales, Roswell, Artesia, Hobbs, T or C, Las Cruces, any would be better choices.

Yes the permit is extremely easy to obtain. I think the whole class including range time is about four hours.

Drop me a private message if you like and we can discuss details.