Need help finding a gun for my mom

Greetings!

My mother has a Smith & Wesson Shield that she liked until she got it home and started trying to use it. Soon after she got it, she injured her shoulder, and now has a very hard time racking the dern thing. On top of that, the stubby safety lever is sharp and difficult for her to activate or deactivate with her thumb. I have a Walther CCP that she can rack and switch the safety, but it’s just a little too large for her.

Her needs in a firearm are unfortunately rather exacting, and I’m having trouble finding one that will meet her needs, so I thought I’d ask for advice here.

1. Smallish gun is necessary. S&W Shield is just the right size.

2. External safety is necessary. She often has to hold small children in her lap, and refuses to consider a weapon without a safety.

3. She needs a controllable gun. She is a small person and doesn’t think she can control a cannon.

4. 9mm is strongly preferred, but she is willing to consider a .380.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you.

1 Like

Check SIG P238 (.380) or SIG P938 (9mm). (both hammer, not sure if your mom will like this)
It’s just my idea. Let’s wait if someone has different. Do not count on one person’s experience. :wink:

1 Like

Have you looked at the M&P 380 Shield EZ? I haven’t shot one (yet, it’s on my list) but a LOT of people rave about it. Easy to shoot, easy to rack. the stock model has the grip safety, but it can be purchased with a thumb safety. and the 380 is an entirely serviceable and controllable self defense round.

www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-380-shield-ez-0

3 Likes

BTW, the best way to get her a gun that she’ll like after she gets it home is to have her shoot it before you get it for her :slight_smile: Whatever you’re looking at for her, see if you can find a range that has one to rent so she can see if she loves it.

2 Likes

Look at the HKP2000SK in 9mm - just a tad larger than the Shield, easier to manipulate the slide, LEM trigger (which I love), and adjustable backstrap. My Shield rarely sees the light of day.

I have Dupuytren’s contracture in my right (strong) hand, no issues and very comfortable.

The M&P 2.0 Compact is also easy to manipulate like the P2000sk, only difference is no LEM trigger.

1 Like

Does P2000SK come with external safety??

1 Like

Yes, some of them do I believe V3 does. I have the V2 which doesn’t.

2 Likes

I’m with @Zee on this one. My wife couldn’t rack the slide on my Sig P320 M17. I got her the 380 EZ and she can handle that one fine. You can find all kinds of discussions about whether or not 380 is an adequate caliber for self defense plus the 380 EZ only has a single stack 8 cartridge magazine. But if you are looking for ease of use I think it’s a good gun.

1 Like

Go to a gun range that rents guns. Try all the ones that feels right and then decide what suits her needs. If you feel it and see it and shoot it that is the best advice. We can all tell you what our options are. But what works for her go to a gun store feel the weapons hands on practice the slide practice the trigger squeeze feel the safety. That is my advice don’t go off some ones guide. Buy what works and what works is what you get. There are so many guns. Look at revolvers to no slide to rack on those. Think of your options buy a gun is like buying a car or a tv bigger and better is not always right. Tailor a gun through her feeling it. Here you go first find a gun family that fits her hand good. Next find a gun that is easy to reload and rack a round. Next can you put rounds on paper with it? Then check for safety features. Do your own shopping around get off the internet and go to a gun srore. That way you have the weapon in hand. Feel it play with the slide play with the safety if you like it rent one and shoot it. If you can hit 5 yards to 25 yards buy it.

2 Likes

The Sig 365 has an external safety option

2 Likes

I like my Bersa Thunder 380

1 Like

Have you looked at the Walther PK380?

1 Like

A revolver or one of the small .380’s.

Your best option would be to take her to a gun shop or range where she can handle and try out quite a few to see what fits her hand and of those which she can operate without issue.

1 Like

Look at the Kimber micro 9 my other half had a shield… didn’t like it got her a micro 9 with laser grip she loves it…Tim

1 Like

Take Mom to the Gun Shop, and let her find the one she likes and can use.

2 Likes

And I’d add “the range that has rental guns”.

4 Likes

A good choice is the Ruger LC 380
Jerry

1 Like

Welcome to the group @Jerry4!

I would like to really thank everyone who gave us help with this. About a day after I posted, she found a gun she likes the feel of in the next town over. Unfortunately, the closest range that she can rent one from is three hours away, so she may not be able to try it any time soon, but at least now if she doesn’t like it, we have other things to try.

Thank you all very much.

1 Like

Cool. What did she decide on?

And what a good son… taking your mom shooting :smile: