Small hands

My mother has a 380 and small hands with a little arthritis, she has a hard time pulling the slide, what would be a better handgun for her to use. Any suggestions would be appreciated…

9 Likes

Welcome to the community @James1141

A lot of people will recommend the S&W .380 EZ and that is likely a very good choice. Some folks will recommend a revolver but the heavy double action trigger pull could cause problems so she should try a couple out first.

13 Likes

@James1141 >>> Ruger LCP 2 … 22 cal. <<< Get some :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: the show is going to start about 22s for self defense. PS: tell Mom we said “Hi “
:us::us::us:

11 Likes

I keep forgetting about the .22 LCP. That might be a good one if the .380 options don’t work. In .22 you might also consider larger options. My wife has fairly small hands but is able to comfortably use my S&W M&P .22. It is a “bigger” gun but is very easy to rack and shoot.

7 Likes

Thanks. I’ll keep that in mind… I have a G2C 9mm that she can chamber fairly easy but she says it’s to big… but I’ll keep the 22 in mind. Again thanks…

9 Likes

Always wonder if some folks that have trouble racking a slide if it’s easier to grip the slide with one hand to hold it in one place while pushing the grip toward the muzzle. Making sure the the muzzle is clear & keeping the finger off the trigger.

8 Likes

I have seen videos of this method and have tried it to see if it makes a difference. Except I pull back on the slide while pushing forward on the grip. It is noticeably easier though not necessary with my current firearms.

8 Likes

Heard that Ruger recently came out with an easy to rack semi auto, I think in 22LR which another pointed out. .22 revolvers offer an option if not wanting deal with a slide. I think Taurus & or Smith Wesson have unique revolver options more powerful than the .22. Smith Wesson has semi autos EZ slides in 9mm, might in .380?

Revolvers:
Some revolver triggers are harder to pull than others. I found Rugers & Charter Arms with heavier pulls; Taurus’s medium; Kimber & Colts smoother/lighter trigger. All subjective on my part.

Semi’s:
Not sure it’s safest or smartest, but for EDC, it she were trained, she can carry with one in the chamber, if someone racked it for her, but if she does not have a “safety”, could be risky.

Others here will know if some red dot glass sights can or cannot be used as a racking helper, IDK.

Cleaned and oiled goes a long way in handling and performance,

7 Likes

Yeah was thinking about Mom & keeping her firearm that she’s used to

8 Likes

Yup. Should have clarified. Not necessary for me with my current firearms but it makes a noticeable difference. Highly recommend looking up a video of the technique online and giving it a try for anyone having issues racking a slide!

8 Likes

Hello and welcome @James1141
As said and have had family members/friends go with is a Walther PPS, S&W EZ9/380, or a revolver.
Hth

8 Likes

Thanks everybody for all the great info. When I get back home I’m gonna take her to the range and try the suggestions yall have made…

8 Likes

Feed it some Federal .22 Punch Ammo. Supposed to be pretty good stuff.

7 Likes

Hi James,

some of my family members also struggle with the slide and for them I suggested small framed revolvers instead of semi-auto pistols. No slide to pull back, no magazines to fuss with, and small hands can hold them easily. Small .38 revolvers might be the way to go but take her to a gun store and see how it fits (or if it works) because it is also a little heavier since there’s a little more metal to them.

7 Likes

@James1141 check out the Keltec P17 22LR, comes with three 16 round mags, easy slide, threaded barrel and great sites, you can add a red dot and light if you wanted to, great little gun, here’s a link to look at. :us: :us: :us:
Ps Welcome to the community.

7 Likes

I don’t know how much difference there is between the S&W M&P 380 EZ and 9mm EZ in terms of recoil, but the 9mm is very easy to rack, and ammo is significantly less expensive. It’s what I bought my wife (who also has smaller hands) after she qualified with that model.

5 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @James1141 , glad you could join us.

5 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @james1141 and you are in the right place at the right time.

5 Likes

I agree with @Shamrock regarding the M&P EZ Series in 380 or 9mm. They are perfect for people with small hands and are dealing with arthritis. IMHO those are good choices. I was at a gun store recently and ask the gentleman behind the counter to let me see it and the slide was so easy to rack on both models.

7 Likes

@James1141 let us know what she goes with when you get a chance.

6 Likes