Suggestion for 9mm pistol that is easy to rack/minimal recoil with arthritis?

Hi, having a bit of arthritis in my wrists, I am looking at pistols. Today I shot a Sig P320 that was fairly easy to rack and had minimum recoil. Any suggestions for a 9mm compact to mid sized pistol that you would recommend for ease of racking and minimal recoil? Thanks!

1 Like

@Kelly, do you have a recommendation?

A lot of folks like the M&P 380EZ for it’s easy rack and low recoil, but it’s a 380, not a 9mm.

6 Likes

The9mm Mossberg MC1 is fairly easy to rack and minimal recoil for its size.

1 Like

Sig 938, cock hammer before racking slide? Also the .380 EX S&W really lives up to its name. Wife loves hers and it is very easy to operate.

1 Like

HK VP9. Accurate as needed, easily racked and little recoil. Every day I trust my life to it.

1 Like

Thanks Zee for the suggestion. I think I will stay with 9mm especially because the the cost of the ammo. The M&P 380EZ certainly comes up a lot!

2 Likes

Raygunn, I thought Mossberg only made shotguns. This post has been quite informative. I went to Mossberg site and the MC1 looks to have a nice ergonomic design.

1 Like

Almost any polymer 9mm will offer reduced recoils over any metal frame. My wife uses a S&W M&P9 Shield and likes it. Easy to shoot, easy to use, easy to conceal.
There are many of them. I would suggest going to a good range that offers rentals and try several.

2 Likes

Maybe you should also consider a revolver? I’ve got a Smith model 60 pro with a 3” tube that is a sweet shooter, with 38 Special “hot” loads recoil is mild (.357 can get a bit heavy). Carries very well, smooth trigger. Also that little Charter Pro should shoot very east… just a thought. Note that Charter also makes a 9 mm revolver.

2 Likes

oh! this is fun!
Thanks for the tag @Zee
I can’t keep the EZ on the shelf! I don’t even bother putting the work into displaying the firearm because it sells that quickly. A touch smaller than the shield, grip safety (which when it comes to external safeties this is personally my favorite), and extremely easy to rack back. I usually demonstrate it with two fingers gripping the slide and 2 gripping the frame to show just how easy it is to move.
@Pat i noticed you mentioned youd like to stay with 9mm.
Yes! the Mossberg is a good option. Introduced at shot show this year. Stoeger also introduced a single stack firearm at the shot show. Both 9mm’s. Both pretty easy to handle and light weight.
The Kimber EVO (again, introduced at shot show) is a striker fire 9 and slide moves nicely. The firearm is a bit on the heavy side in comparison which will absorb some of the recoil you mentioned.
Oh! Walther! PPS M2 is a road worth traveling down. Comes with multiple different capacity mags. Makes it great to conceal or send a lot of lead downrange. Walther CCP is also nice to rack back. (PS!! Walther has a promo going on. “love it, shoot it, buy it” or something like that. a quick google search will point you in the right direction. basically Walther will refund you the price of the firearm if you don’t love it. can’t remember if it’s specific firearms but worth checking out!)

3 Likes

Kelly! Whoa, where to begin??? Lots of new firearms this year. lots to consider. All of the posts have been very helpful-Thanks!

1 Like

Dwayne, I do have revolvers, in fact the 60 and the 19. Great guns! But am still seriously considering a 9mm pistol. Thanks for your suggestion.

1 Like

My lovely wife has the S&W 380-EZ & shoots it well and works the slide with her artists with ease.

3 Likes

The Mossberg is my EDC during summer

1 Like

My wife does NOT like my Shield, to much recoil.
The Smith 380 EZ, while a touch smaller than the Shield is still big to me. I confess I have not shot one.
in the 380 category (even though you want 9mm) I love my Sig P238 as does my wife. 380 is not cheap like you said.

Do you have a range near you with rentals? That would give you a great idea.

1 Like

OK, update time! THANKS for all of your terrific suggestions. I did what any inquisitive person would do. (A gal has to do what a gal has to do) I went to the range this morning and looked and handled the suggested firearms and then some(They did not have the Mossbergs). I shot Sig 320 compact, CZ P 10 and Sig 320 X and the S&W M&P 9 Shield. With all of my years of revolver shooting, I was able to handle these pistols. I really liked the 320 compact and the CZ P 10. What pushed me over the edge was that my friend purchased her Sig 320 last April and didnt like it and is wanting to sell it. As (( everyone)) on this forum knows, finding the right firearm is a bit like falling in love. You know it when it happens. The Sig 320 felt right in my hand, found the bullseye with ease and most importantly, was easy to rack. So thanks again for all of your helpful responses! Now back to everyday life…

5 Likes

I highly recommend the Walther CCP This was probably the softest shooting 9mm I have ever fired due to the buffered recoil system. The slide is super easy to rack as well. They are also on the inexpensive side so you won’t break the bank.

2 Likes

Precisely :grin:
Sounds like true love!

Last year I tried the Aracnagrip,(sp?) on both my Walther CCP and another 9mm and can now rack both slides with ease! Whatever you choose, I think you will love adding this to your gun…:slight_smile:

1 Like

Clayton3, Thanks for the tip.
Grips make all the difference! I am mainly a revolver shooter. I put Pachmyer Diamond Pro Grip on my EDC S&W 640 and it had noticeable results. It is now a delight to shoot several rounds at the range. The grip truly minimizes recoil. I also put it on my Model 60 and again noticed a significant difference. The bad news is the Diamond Pro Grips for J frame are out of stock everywhere.
I will look in to the grip you suggested for my new Sig P320.

2 Likes