Looking for a gun for arthritis hands

I have had RA for 20 plus years and my hands are deteriorating.

What’s a good gun for me and if you know of other accessories.

Love it here, I’m learning lots.
God bless

Tammy

2 Likes

I here a lot of good things about revolvers for individuals with weaker hands, the Smith&Wesson M&P air-weight 38 special and they also have the Shield EZ in 380 and 9mm. The slides are designed so they are easy to rack hence EZ. Try them out at the range and you can decide.

8 Likes

I would second one of the S&W EZ series. The revolvers such as the S&W J-frames and the Ruger LCR are very good, but the trigger is going to be heavier than the EZ shield. Make sure you at least dry fire (with the shops permission) if you cant actually rent and test fire. Other options on the revolver if the trigger pull is too long and heavy, look for one with an exposed hammer like a Ruger LCRX which you might be able to cock to get a lighter trigger. Still try shooting double action, but having the single action option might allow you more range time.

3 Likes

I will second @Johnnyq60 on the .380 Sheild EZ. It is super smooth, easy to rack, and has minimal recoil.

Many options from which to choose, including thumb safety or no thumb safety.

Filter by caliber > .380

https://www.smith-wesson.com/mp

3 Likes

Thanks for the input brother.

3 Likes

I was thinking the Ruger LCPll would fit the criteria. They are very easy to manipulate the slide. On the down side, they are quite small so if your joints are starting to swell a bit the gun may not be comfortable to handle.

2 Likes

I originally got my 380 shield ez for the wife who recently severely injured her right thumb. It still hurts to slide the rack so we went out and shopped. She now owns charter arms “pink lady” and has no problem pulling either the trigger or hammer and stull feels very comfortable with her grip.
On a side note the 380 ez is now my everyday ccw

4 Likes

Thank you so much! Appreciate the advice.

Stay safe

2 Likes

I osteoarthritis I’m my hands. I can still rack any slide but on bad days it really smarts. My Ruger LC9S is easy to rack ,& having a manual safety , the trigger is short & smooth. I highly recommend it.

3 Likes

M&P EZ either 9 or .380 as people have mentioned. They’re a lot easier to rack and to load the magazines.

A lot of ranges have them for rent so you can try it before you buy it. Revolvers are definitely another option, but be sure you’re trying them so that they’re not too heavy and the trigger pull isn’t too heavy for you.

Please let us know what you find! A lot of people have similar issues. :slight_smile:

Also, there are multiple ways to rack a slide - be sure to talk to the instructors in your area for alternatives that might work better for you.

4 Likes

That’s a great point @dawn. Take advantage of the rental options at the range to really get a good feel for the firearm. These are life saving tools, and expensive. It’s important to choose a firearm that works well for the particular person who plans to purchase it.

1 Like

Thanks Dawn, great idea. I sure will share what I decide on and why.

1 Like

I bought my daughter her first gun. The M&P Shield .380 EZ. Comes in 9 mm as well.

Would buy again.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ve looked at these and leaning towards this one. Does the daughter like. I am assuming yes% :smile:

1 Like

@Tamara2

Yes she does past 2 months probably 1000 rounds through it.

1 Like

Originally bought my wife a Ruger LCP .380, and it was soon relegated to the safe, and replaced with the M&P EZ .380 . Much easier to operate. As soon as I was able, I bought the EZ9 version for myself, and is my CC, and it’s a lot easier when the arthritis decides to kick-in.

1 Like

Thank you! This is the one I am leaning towards. I take some strong meds thru a infusion and it helps me to know other arthritis people use this gun.

I saw a huge black bear this morning.
I thought a grizzly was crossing the road.
Scary.

1 Like

Like every one else stated. EZ shield. 380 or 9mm

1 Like

Depending on how bad your hands are, you might see if your pharmacy sells a product called “arthritis wonder.” It’s a dumb name, but we have a lot of patients who say that it really helps their arthritis. We had one customer try a sample, leave, go out to his car, then come right back in because his hand already felt much better. It’s got some ingredient in it that supposedly specifically targets arthritis for relief.

1 Like

I have a Rhemotoligist and take Med infusions. I follow my Drs advice. Thank you though.

1 Like