Small hands

I have a Ruger SR22 that racks very easily, has a small form factor, and is seemingly failproof and quite accurate as well. Double action first pull can be avoided by racking it with the safety off.

9 Likes

I just saw the last post and I love my 2 ruger SR22s. Easy slide, reliable and comfortable. Also, 22s are actually the most common caliber in that they are easy to find and a well placed shot in defense of yourself is better than a larger caliber miss.

My wife (having tendinitis) chose the ez Shield .380 for her EDC. With weaker hands though, the 380 can still make your hands tired from shooting. 22s are much easier for endurance and control with the lower recoil.

7 Likes

Hard time pulling the slide back? Ever hear of slide spiders? They’re like talon grips only for slides. I bought one for my Sig P365 to see how it’d work when it was brand new, as the tiny slide didn’t give me much to grip. It works amazingly well.

5 Likes

@Jesse45
A couple of my friends have them installed on their pistols and they love them. :+1::+1:

5 Likes

For many people that have difficulty racking their slide the problem is technique not strength. Get with an instructor. Also, you should not be having to rack your slide after presenting your firearm. That extra 1 1/2 seconds could mean the difference between life and death.

3 Likes

How often does the slide need to be racked? Only one time. The first time the pistol is loaded.

Maybe you should load the pistol for your mom and teach her to how to do a reload using the slid lock/release lever to let the slide go forward.

Master Po

2 Likes

What about resolving a malfunction? No, this is a major problem.
Revolvers offer a solution though.

3 Likes

The odds of mom firing this gun are slim to none. No malfunctions to resolve.

2 Likes

I own both Ezs, no thumb safety (one more step to think about in a stressful situation).The size and recoil are negligible. 9mm ammo is easier and cheaper to get, HOWEVER, the .380 is much more forgiving if not totally high and tight on that backstrap safety. The .380 has NEVER failed even if I was limp wristing or not high & tight enough, whereas the 9EZ has, but that is good failure practice. I love them both, but trust the .380 more. Both are easy to load the mags. Cleaning is easy, BUT you MUST be cognizant of that backstrap when field stripping. Be sure to read the instructions with regards to that and re-inserting the spring in the proper position. If recoil isn’t a huge issue, go for that over a .22

I also have a S&W 38spl snubby. It’s quite snappy since it’s so small. The double action on it is fine, but the single action is A HAIR TRIGGER! I prefer my Ruger GP100 .357 4" running 38spl ammo. Less recoil and the single action still requires a little effort.

3 Likes

There’s a Youtuber called She Equips Herself. She has some very informative videos for women (and men). One is called How to Rack a Slide the Easy Way. That might be helpful.

2 Likes

I know that this is a bit late. But I have an EZ9. And I truly hate it. Yes the slide is ez to rack, and the recoil isn’t that hard, it does everything that it says it is built to do. BUT the reason I don’t like it and my hands are not small it’s just they don’t “work” the way this particular item wants it to. It the backstrap “safety” that one has to hold just right in order for the gun to shoot. And while the takedown is “ez” again my hands just don’t want to work that way. Truthfully I have been an athletic for years and you have heard that you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, think of that when it comes to my hands. For the last 40+ years I’ve been telling them soft hands.
What I would do is take her to a gun store and have her try as many guns as they have.then if they have a range (where I live some do) attached to it ask her the top 5 or what ever number you want. And take her shooting and let her decide.

3 Likes

I agree. My wife has a hard time sliding our Sig and Glock. The S&W seems like a good option

3 Likes

My wife is going to try the Sig 365-380. Fits her hands well, and with the lighter recoil spring, easier to rack.

4 Likes