Mounted Camera

I’m wondering if a pistol mounted camera might be a worthwhile piece of gear? I don’t plan on using a weapon for anything illegal only self-defense so would video help me or would it be possible to be used against me? Thoughts? Anyone out there have one mounted on their personal protection pistol?

3 Likes

They’re small and getting smaller, but I can’t imagine concealing a handgun with a camera attached.

1 Like

Body cam seems to be better option. I think firearm mounted camera won’t survive long.

2 Likes

Yes, a body cam would be better I think also. :thinking: :thinking:

1 Like

Welcome to the family and god bless you.

Interesting I was thinking of this today also. I think video is invaluable I use cameras on my semi truck…but how to get a camera for a deadly threat encounter…maybe a body camera like police have? Not sure

2 Likes

Body cam is not a bad idea especially nowadays the way the world is. I wear one at my job I do security work right now.

1 Like

I have done zero research on a body cam. Can anyone in the know post a few links so that we can get an idea of size, weight, cost, locations to wear?

2 Likes

I think the tricky part would be that you pretty much have to have it record continuously outside your home at least that’s what I’ve found with my truck camera. The problem is memory storage. I can record 8 hours on my truck camera before having to dump the sd memory…that’s a 128g sd!

1 Like

Welcome to the community @mccorpsman.

Interesting question in these days and times.

I agree with the others that think a body cam might be a better option.

My primary reason/line of thinking is that if you have the camera mounted on the barrel, if you’re following safe gun practices the only time you will capture footage of your assailant is when you’ve actually drawn down on him/her and are firing your weapon.

There may have been a whole lot more information that would be valuable to your defense that was not captured if you just had the camera on the gun barrel.

Maybe that’s the next trend in CCW EDC (concealed carry every day carry), is for us to start wearing body cams whenever we carry. :thinking:

3 Likes

@mccorpsman sounds like you have the makings of a million dollar idea to me

2 Likes

Video will always be invaluable…as long as your decision is right…that’s a trucking thing…but for concealed carry video could/would be the deciding factor in your innocence…case closed

1 Like

May as well open carry with a camera on my chest. If that catches on, the camera on my chest puts a target on my back as much as a holstered weapon on my hip. Let’s just go national constitutional open carry with cameras. However you made an awesome point about interaction prior to the weapon being drawn not being captured on “film”.

1 Like

I’ve got similar to this one, not exact the same make and model, but looks the same and all functions are the same.

I bought mine just for testing from my CCTV supplier. It cost me below $100 and actually had been working fine. It’s a little bulky but I don’t care. It came with few different clips and hangers. I wear it on the belt. Hopefully it can be mounted on the front pocket on the jacket during fall and winter, but I haven’t tried it yet.
Battery last for about 8 hrs of recording.

My thoughts after few months of usage - GoPro is more convenient, next step will be Camera Glasses - but they are still not good enough

1 Like

There must be some CIA or seal micro cam out there I would think also

2 Likes

yes… it is … :wink:

A_20200717_03

3 Likes

A whileback CCM did a review I think of a camera that mounted to your gun and turned on when it left the holster. The predominant opinion at the time was that it really only recorded what happened after deadly force was in play and was of limited utility for showing what led to to the deadly force encounter.

YMMV

3 Likes

Excellent point, hadn’t thought about that!

Maybe a pinhole nanny cam that can easily be concealed in a pocket or hat?

Otherwise, I think you’re right.

2 Likes

So, where do we get our James Bond supplies, Q. We all need to be our own James Bond. I’ll consider my CCW, 007 status!:shushing_face:

2 Likes

This is the Video & Light & Laser combo. Offered by Viridian. I agree with @JamesR and @Zavier_D though, it would only capture what happened after you draw, not anything that led up to that decision.

A camera mounted on your chest/hat/glasses would be better. Search on amazon for “spy camera” and you will find a ton of very small options. Battery life would be the number one concern, plus how to secure it so if you get into an altercation it doesn’t fall off and roll somewhere never to be found. And if you had the camera, but it didn’t record for any reason that would immediately look suspicious.

1 Like