Marijuana and Guns in Illinois

On January 1st 2019 marijuana is becoming partially legal in Illinois. But what does that mean for gun owners. It’s partially legal on a state level, illegal at a federal level and the Illinois state Police make an ambiguous statement like, > "Illinois State Police say they “will not revoke Firearm’s Owner’s Identification Cards based solely on a person’s legal use of adult use cannabis.”

“Pursuant to both State and Federal law, a person who is addicted to or a habitual user of narcotics is not permitted to possess or use firearms,” the department said in a statement. “Accordingly, the ISP will revoke FOID cards where it is demonstrated that an individual is addicted to or is a habitual user of cannabis. The ISP would also revoke or deny the FOID cards of those who violate certain provisions of the Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act.”

https://www.gunrights4illinois.com/blog/marijuana-and-guns-in-illinois/

3 Likes

They are already going after the guns of IL residents for a lot less than smoking weed. FYI: I don’t agree at all with making MJ legal.

4 Likes

So much for Sanctuary counties working. That’s the issue, Sanctuary only works if Law Enforcement buys in.

6 Likes

Sanctuary county resolutions are nothing more than feel good statements of opinion unless the states attorney and or sheriff make it official policy, and only a very few have actually done this.

3 Likes

If I lived in Jasper County I would take a real interest in the next election for Sheriff.

2 Likes

If I was you @Greg1, I would recommend having whoever that person is to call the County Sheriff’s Office and remind them of that vote, then a follow up call to the County Government to remind them as well.

2 Likes

@Greg1 @Zavier_D @AlphaKoncepts
That’s what I was saying a few days ago, I cannot say about the Southern part of the state but as for here in the Chicagoland and Collar counties I know 2 people who have for two completely unrelated reasons have lost their Second Amendment permanently. Our cleaning lady is one she has/had both FOID & CCW. She cannot afford an Attorney and the thousands of dollars it would take to restore her rights plus originally she was locked up in Cook County Jail. The other is an old friend and also has had his FOID and CCW and lost his firearms were confiscated and all his ammunition by a suburban Chicago police department and melted because of a domestic situation (non-violence) due to his wife’s minor daughter (his stepdaughter) not wanting her mother to marry my friend. This was over two years ago and he still has thousands of dollars to pay the lawyer to go forward with his legal situation and again with all the liberal judges in my area he has for all intents and purpose forever lost his second amendment for life.

2 Likes

they’re showing up to do confiscations? oh, I’m really not liking where this is going.

3 Likes

I believe one of our Illinois members posted that State Government had raided the State Police budget for FOID, which would cause problems for State Police to process FOID permits, which then causes delays in FOID approvals, which then cause the police to come to your house to confiscate your guns.

I see what they did there gun confiscation, without any messy laws or Universal Registry requirements.

One small teeeeeeny problem, who exactly has FOID cards in Illinois? Isn’t it only the law abiding citizens who get those? I don’t think criminals are getting FOID cards in Illinois. So we disarm the law abiding citizens, and let the criminals stay armed.

5 Likes

YEPPERS. if you want to know the true intent of an action, look at its outcome :angry:

2 Likes

@Zee This has been going on for years. Illinois has had red flag laws since before “Red flag” was a thing. Infact recently enacted red flag laws in Illinois only strengthened the civilian disarmament movement in Illinois, but they’ve been taking away guns for quite some time.

Illinois has always had confiscation upon expiration of the FOID. However it wasn’t often enforced, except in places like Chicago and parts of Cook County. But, after the aurora mass murder event partially caused by the blunder of the Illinois State Police, the confiscations have ramped up, even in the rural areas of Illinois.

Here is how bad it is. If you are going through a divorce, there is a strong likelihood the gestapo will knock on your door to confiscate your guns, and it’s been like that for years. Confiscations are real, and yes the police WILL confiscate your guns.

3 Likes

The FOID card required by IL residents was found unconstitutional because it denied 2nd amendment rights to a person who was otherwise not disqualified from owning a firearm… of course that was appealed and the IL Supreme Court is pondering that question as I type this. So until the outcome of the case is known the police are depriving people of their rights and property even though they have not committed any crime that would disqualify them from owning a firearm.

2 Likes

That was me who posted that

1 Like

You have to have a FOID card in IL, in order to buy a firearm or bullets; a CCW isn’t good enough and a gun range makes you cough up your FOID. And the state legislature is about to raise the price for both and shorten the term of the FOID.
You know Lincoln Land anything for a buck. And they don’t care what anybody else says. I guess that’s why they lose one of the reasons Illinois loses about 50,000 residents each year to other or neighboring states.

2 Likes

Yes @Zee Well let me clarify my cleaning lady our cleaning lady she’s a very nice person very nice very law abiding
She was instructed to bring in everything Which is which was her Gun, her bullets, her FOID and her CCW To the nearest police. So either State police district or Chicago police precinct district station If she didn’t accomplish by a certain date and time they are going to raid her House.

1 Like

That’s partially true. The case in question only specifically addressed the requirement to own a FOID within ones own home, no other provision was challenged as part of the case.

2 Likes

Good point, the lady who is the subject of the case used a firearm in her own home.

2 Likes

Just a heads up to those in IL on New Years day. IL traffic is already dangerous. Add in New Years Eve drinking, and New Years Day marijuana legalization (potential overindulgence related to some celebrating the new policy), I’m sure you’re going to see a few motorists out there whom might be a little… distracted? Especially because of all of those people that told me over the years that they don’t believe marijuana affects driving ability… I don’t agree with that. I’m sure the melting snow won’t help any either. Stay safe.

3 Likes

This is circulating on Facebook right now:

Nope, not gonna do it. Not worth the risk to my gun rights.

4 Likes

In my view being almost a lifelong resident of IL, one of the underlying reasons the Democrat majority legalized medical marijuana was to steal people’s Gun Rights from them. Politicians are not to be trusted.

2 Likes