Let's talk lube! Get your minds out of the gutter

:slightly_smiling_face:
Sounds like GODZILLA :t_rex:
:joy:

1 Like

When I was in the Gulf I was fortunate to have a a very wise Gunny. We had just gotten a “demo” shipment of the Barret 50 Cal sniper rifles. They were greased and lubed to he!! and back out of the box. After not too long on Thunder Range they started having issues as did our M-60’s and M-16’s. Ma Duce didn’t seem to care. The wind was blowing as it always does and we were all pretty much covered in fine powdery sand (Or as Gunny said 2,000 years of dried camel sh!t) which on any lubricated weapon turned into carbon concrete.
The fix was to go to the motor pool and submerge EVERYTHING, the whole weapon in the parts cleaning vat and scrub with the brush. It contained “Varisol” or in the military vernacular “Solvent, Dry Cleaning”. It ate grease, carbon, lube and everything else including the oils on your hands.

After that the whole weapon was totally grease and oil free. A LITTLE dab (A little dab will do ya’, if you are old enough to remember that commercial) of axle grease on the moving sliding bits. That was it. We hammered those weapons the entire next day and never had a FTF/F. We essentially ran the guns dry, as in without lube. I finished my trip to the sand box with that original lube and the occasional wipe off the bolt and bolt face, blow the accumulated dust and sand out of the inside and good to go. Yes, I fired it in anger more than a few times and it worked every time.

Not as applicable to pistols but for rifles the Gunny also taught me to NOT clean the bore of a rifle until the accuracy began to degrade. It takes from 25 to 100+ rounds to get a rifle barrel to “settle down” for best accuracy and first shot repeatability. Clean the bolt, bolt face, ejector and rails all you want, don’t touch the bore!

I actually did a scientific based test on this concept with two of my competition long range bolt guns. The results are a bit lengthy, but the end result was 1700+/- rounds of .308, rolling hot, was the max with less than a MOA of accuracy from beginning to end with MUCH less after 100 rnds through near the end.

Lube gently in what ever flavor appeals to you.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

I like Ballistol simply because it has multiple used andjust a drop or two gun oil. To each his own, correct??

1 Like

Indeed @Kevin49! Welcome!

1 Like

Lucas, a sample came with a new gun and I was impressed enough to buy a bottle.

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks very much! Look forward some conversations with like minded folks!!

1 Like

I use Shooter Lube Stage One Solvent to clean followed by the Stage Two Oil for lubrication. Love this combo really gets the job done.

1 Like