LEOSA Qualification

Congrats!

4 Likes

still true. However, the NJ law does not consider ones that have a polymer core as hollow points, such as Hornady Critical Defense.

7 Likes

Proving that youā€™re still dangerous, good job! :ok_hand:

5 Likes

@Johnnyq60 Congratulations on FINALLY getting your LEOSA Qualification Course done, Iā€™m happy for you! :smile:

6 Likes

Congrats. Iā€™ve had my LEOSA card for a while but I havenā€™t qualified yet. I better get moving.

Robert S.
Columbia, SC

6 Likes

Hello and welcome @Robert_G3

5 Likes

Hello and God bless you @Robert_G3. Welcome to the family. If you have your card it means you qualified at least once. They are good for one year. You will get it again. :+1::+1:

6 Likes

Hi, and thanks for the quick reply welcomeā€¦

I havenā€™t completed a qualification from our local Sheriff Dept yet. The LEOSA ID card I have now was issued via the Department of The Army, which verifies my retired status as a former
Army CID Agent. They informed us we will need to go through the qualification as you indicated, at which time the LEO will issue us a qual card to keep with us. Our local LEO qual is similar
to what you went through. I just need to make it happen. Iā€™m glad I saw your post.

Thanks

7 Likes

I hear you brother @Robert_G3 and keep us informed when you get qualified. :+1: :+1:

6 Likes

@Johnnyq60 Congratulations too you Sir. :us:

7 Likes

I wish that were true. But I seem to recall in earlier conversations that folks can (and have) gotten hemmed up when a state refuses to acknowledge a LEOSA card, or when a local LEO has no idea what it is. Even when youā€™re within your rights, it can still ruin a vacation.

8 Likes

Yeahā€¦but if we go this route we find out thereā€™s no single document that can gives us the right to do things allowed by this document.

6 Likes

Congratulations LEOSA! Great job on your achievement. I think all law enforcement (retired) should be able to carry, no matter what state. Anyway, congrats and be safe.

6 Likes

Agreed.
But also, I think any adult should, by default, be able to carry, no matter which state theyā€™re in.

7 Likes

Also agreed, but I figured if not citizens then definitely law enforcement. They really donā€™t have any argument about CC, unless a person is a criminal, your right, all legal adults should have their 2A rights in all of America. Good point!

6 Likes

Itā€™s a technicality and Iā€™ve never seen it enforced but your LEOSA permit still does not allow you to carry in school zones ( it extends thousand feet away from actual school property) for the states in which you may be traveling. I was at the concealed carry convention some years ago and it was a big topic of discussion amongst retired law-enforcement officers and NRA attorneys at the seminar. All part of the ā€œ gun free school actā€

4 Likes

@Doug48
I am aware that we have to be alert of those catch 22s. There are always different laws and ordinances depending on which state you are in.

6 Likes

Very true. Itā€™s my understanding that Republicans have tried to repeal it over the years but havenā€™t had enough votes. If I understand the law correctly it was originally put in place to add additional penalties for drug dealers caught on or around school property with firearms. I remember one of the slides they showed at the seminar was a map of the city of Cleveland and, when you included the thousand foot zone around each school property in the city, one was unable to drive through the city without coming into/ crossing multiple school zones.

7 Likes

I wasnā€™t aware that there was a specific qualification course for that. My understanding is that as long as you maintain your agencies qualification course in retirement you fall under that act, am I wrong?

6 Likes

@Kurt49
We have to Range qualify once a year. BTW Welcome to the family brother.

4 Likes