Lazer help needed!

Im trying to decide between the lazer max guide rod lazer or a viridian E series lazer. My thoughts are the guide rod lazer is great because i dont have to get new holster,its in the gun etc. But what if i want to replace guide rod on its own,or it gets finiky on ammo due to the lazer max. Also what if its not aligned the best. If i do the trigger gaurd lazer its cheeper,adjustable sight alignment,i can upgrade the guide rod and spring if i want. But i will need a new holster system…HELP!!!

2 Likes

I’ve had trouble myself finding a good holster with my laser.

4 Likes

I like CrimsonTrace units, the ones that are fitted into the grips, no problem with holster and they are adjustable. I have the CT mounted onto a 1911 KImber and on my Bersa. Both units work well.

Larry

4 Likes

I can second that the CT integrated grips seem to work well and dont narrow your holster choice.
In general they seem a little ‘plastic-ish’ for the money but they work and it hasn’t bothered me enough to stop me from acquiring and installing them on two different side arms (one on a airweight 357 J frame and a vsisible/IR unit that I recently installed on a 226) . A thing to remember is that you will need to remove the grips in order to change the battery and that should be followed by verifying the zero on the laser.
Personally I have no experience with the guide rod units and and a couple of unfounded concerns. 1) I dont believe it can be as durable as a factory guide rod. 2) there is typically nothing to prevent a guide rod from rotating so if the alignment of the lazer isnt ‘perfect’ then in theory your zero could change during use. And if it doesnt change during use, when was the last time you indexed your guiderod for disassembly and reassembly?
Some unsolicited advice (but the price is right) - make sure you learn to shoot without it before you start to shoot with it.

5 Likes

Thsnks for the info. And yes this would be a extra tool to use, not a i cant use my iron sights to shoot sort of thing…

2 Likes

I had a LaserMax years ago for a few years. It worked well until it didn’t. It lasted a few years and I never replaced it. It was not technically acceptable under the SO SOPs.

3 Likes

First off, I got lasers years ago and don’t use them. I feel like I wasted my money. Let me explain, I have a CrimsonTrace on my main EDC. During the day I can’t see it painting, it is bright but not bright enough. At night you can see it painting but it’s a give away. If you see it the bad guy can see it. The main reason you may want to rethink a laser is … if you train with it and train to see it, and if you are in a DCI and look and can’t find the red dot painted on a bad guy you could hesitate, or even delay firing. On a CT if you dont squeeze the grip tight enough or have the two finger gap slightly off grip and miss the activation button, it won’t light up. Once again you don’t need this distraction in a DCI. It’s just some stuff to think about.

I bought them years ago as I thought they would be helpful and looked really cool.

Now to your OP, the CT is reliable and most manufactures (crossbreed) make a holster to accommodate the trigger guard CT. The battery life is really good and CT will send you free batteries for life. It does not loose it zero.

I also have the Viridian on another of the same model of EDC I carry. Only one holster is officially made for it as there is a magnet in the holsters that actuates the laser/light upon retraction. That’s pretty cool. It will activate in a handful of tac light , laser modes. This Laser/light gobbles up the batteries! I don’t always want to deploy this firearm with whatever default mode it was set to upon holstering. You can manually rotate between modes upon deployment but omg what a distraction.

With all this said may I recommend getting Tritium set of sights. Nothing has been better for target acquisition especially in low light. Plus the thing glowing in the open drawer of the night stand helps me navigate back to bed at night.! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think my vote is obvious…

3 Likes

Even if a laser is not used as a primary sighting method, there is always the OH SH!+ deterrent moment when you see that little red dot painted on your chest.

5 Likes

I can not agree more with the deterrent use for the laser. I strongly advise people that are buying a gun for home defense to install a laser. It has a way a tipping the balance in your favor.

Larry

3 Likes

Good vote!!

2 Likes

I’m with Mike!!

Recently thought about this!

2 Likes

I love your point! I started with a Kimber Covert w/CT laser. I loved it more than maple syrup on a stack, until I realized that if and when the battery died so could I, from that point on, I’ve taken great confidence and comfort in the front sight that gets painted upon the perps chest without him/her knowing they have been painted.
After all these years etched in my brain is, font sight, front sight, front sight.
Technology is awesome but sometimes fails.

2 Likes

I have to give my honest opinion, if the laser is for fun on the range, cool, have a ball.
However, if the laser is for your carry/lifesaving firearm trust your front sights and your instincts.
You really don’t want to point that thing at a real bad guy and NOT see the little red/green dot. That’s what I call an Oh Sh%# moment. In that scary moment you’ll have to shift your sights from the chest to the front sight, to insure your bullet goes where it’s supposed to.

3 Likes

Thank you for all the replies. IM GETTING A LAZER. The question was…GUIDE ROD STYLE or EXTERNAL STYLE. Im not trying to be a jerk i thank you for the replies. I was stuck on if i use guide rod i cant adjust cant replace spring and rod but fits all my holsters etc. Outside one i can but will have to get new gear . This is my carry gun.

1 Like

I was taught to place the red dot just below the sight picture so its out of your sights so you dont depend on the dot. But in a few instances like real close or firing around a corner were you dont want to stick ur head out to get shot sort of thing. So yes it would be a fun thing in one way but it would never take the place or totally rely on it instead of the actual sights.

2 Likes

Mr. Wood, you have a very good and valid point about the iron sights and possible laser failure. I would only use the laser in the role of spolier. The iron sight (night sight inserts) will be my go to and it is what I will train with. Most important is that you feel confident in your training/equipment and the sitution as you see it.
Good luck
Larry

2 Likes

Thank you i appreciate the nice comment! I dont ever want to come off rude to people… But i have to let everyone know were i am at so i can get the truthful feedback i need. Thank you so much !

1 Like

No worries, we tend to be easily distracted…

2 Likes

Hey, no worries man. Everyone has their own opinions and comfort levels… So that is why I pointed out some potential disadvantages with laser acquisition. But still tried to answer your op question with a follow up on the viridian and the CT.

Virtually the only thing I rely on the laser for is varmint hunting at night.

3 Likes