Law Enforcement Response in Uvalde Shooting Was 'Abject Failure,' Official Says

1 Like

This is the line that got me:

“there was a sufficient number of armed officers wearing body armor to isolate, distract and neutralize the subject”

The presence or lack of body armor was the one remaining question in my mind. They had it.

Tragic. Just tragic.

4 Likes

Body armor doesn’t make anyone bulletproof except in the very limited but important area it covers. But agree that they seemed to have all the equipment they could hope for to respond to this event. The same equipment the border patrol officers who finally acted when the arrived an hour after the dozens of other officers who decided to just contain the subject while he slaughtered a bunch of kids at his leisure.

I have also read reports that they had recently had active shooter training. So that shouldn’t have been a limiting factor either. Something clearly broke down somewhere. Flawed training, indecision, lack of capable and qualified leadership. Or most likely all of the above.

2 Likes

I’m not minimizing any of this, they certainly should have confronted this kid right then, as soon as they stepped into the school building but I must ask an,
Honest Question:
Would the body armor that the typical police department has stop the Green Tip rounds that are readily available at most LGS?

2 Likes

The body armor many LEOs keep in their trunks nowadays would stop the Green Tips and most much more capable AP rounds in larger calibers.

Even the understaffed and underfunded local sheriffs department in my sprawling county all seem to have level 4 set ups as far as I can tell. A few even wear them on a daily basis for traffic stops.

2 Likes

Imagine this…at the scene in the first 30 seconds, incident commander asks for a show of hands of who’s got their own kids and wants to go in there and disable the attacker. I’d guess you’d have about a hundred or so chomping at the bit!

2 Likes

I’m actually surprised that more of them didnt just say “Screw You I’m getting this crap stopped right f’in now!”.
Instead they seem to have been really subservient to this one guy.

1 Like

“Law enforcement officers had enough resources to stop the teenage gunman who attacked a Uvalde elementary school just three minutes after he entered the building, Texas Department of Public Safety Director Steve McCraw testified on Tuesday.“

When seconds count help is only minutes away. If the help decides to act. Either way this incident proves that if you aren’t prepared to defend yourself, your family or the other people under your care then you are in big trouble if anything bad ever comes your way.

2 Likes

When it comes to tender age children being shot by the left, I’ll be running in, in my underwear if I have to! They can spin this till AOC comes home. There are absolutely NO excuses. The plan was executed perfectly!

Maybe we start a commission, that lasts for two or three years!
I learned something a long time ago, when you’re in a hole, stop digging! This whole administration will not stop digging until they reach their beloved China!

2 Likes

All while we could be hardening schools!!!

Frequently people who are opposed to hardening schools say they don’t want to turn schools into prisons. That’s total bull! You can harden the school and not change the basic look and feel of it one bit and still make it much safer than they currently are.

But the left refuses to do so. Dumb in action.

Scott52, I’m with you, underwear and all! Nobody gets to f**k with our kids!

4 Likes

I graduated to the next question, who gave the stand down order? Then maybe I am looking for motive in pure incompetence.

2 Likes

I saw a link a while ago to how layered security principle is applied in schools in Israel, cannot find it now. Basically the schools do not look like prisons though kids can see open carry on some school personnel. Somehow this encourages not frightens kids.

2 Likes

The police chief, most senior LEO on site, gave the order to stand down. However, he left both of his radios in his car (he wanted hands free for his guns) so he was not in touch with 911 or his team out of earshot. Further, in later statement he said he was not aware that he was the on scene commender. I think we can check off incompetence here.
Also, he was also just elected to the city council.

4 Likes

Banks are guarded by armed guards! Is the money really more important than our children? Capitol building, courts, and many other buildings also protected by armed guards. Are any of the people in those locations any more important than our children? I say heck no!

3 Likes

BTW, I suspect LE departments nationwide are rewriting their response protocols because of this horrifying incident. Get the h*ll into the school and disable the attacker without delay.

After the 9/11 attacks, passengers started taking matters into their own hands, tackling unruly passengers on aircraft. And, of course, the cockpit was hardened and pilots armed. We’ll start to see more of this if LE departments aren’t given the backing they need to respond immediately with overwhelming force.

2 Likes

I dont know… officer safety seems to be the motto of police agencies these days.

1 Like

All the training in the world doesn’t mean a thing if your not going to show up when the SHTF and those practice targets might shoot back. The total lack of initiative from this LE group allowed them to hide behind a bad decision. The POS pulled the trigger, but the cops are the primary reason this was a mass shooting.

3 Likes

To me it does seem as though the shooting was a total set up and was a planned operation,it is hard to beleive that trained officers would just wait while children were being murdered.As a rule of thumb is itnot true that when the chain of command falls down,the ones on location then takeover,and I do beleive that this was a planned operation,and doubt it but heads should roll from this.

1 Like

and caught in a basket when separated from the shoulders.

A few did not wait. They went in and rescued their own children, then left without engaging the murderer.

2 Likes