|Knives Hub| Custom Handmade Damascus Steel Leaf Knife With Leather Sheath

https://kniveshub.store/products/knives-hub-custom-handmade-damascus-steel-leaf-knife-with-leather-sheath

3 Likes

Oooooohhh that’s pretty!!! I’ve been itching to build another knife lately.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

Do not buy Damascus where the two or even 3 types of steels are not clearly listed. Just a forewarning.

What kind of knives do you make @Craig6?

2 Likes

@James I make hobby knives that are functional for around the house or in the field. Skinners, Boning whatever blade design suits my fancy. My Grandfather was a tool and die maker/machinist his whole life and took to making knives out of the 1 1/2" - 2 1/2" metal bandsaw / hacksaw blades used for cutting steel at Newark Tool and Die. One of my most prized possessions is the boning knife he made me for my 13th Birthday that and the box of Arizona Iron Wood slabs and scales that he left behind when he passed. I’ve done mostly kits from Goodwood and a couple different knife companies as family heirlooms for my Sons and Nephews. Mainly stuff that I can cut shape and file with hand tools (Kind of like my 1911 project in the Guns section) to make them my own and more functional. I have a bud that is a blade smith in that he forges his own blades. I have wayyy too many deep hobbies to get into that level.

What’s the deal with Damascus I was considering doing one, just for giggles?

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

I forge knives and have made Damascus steel a few times. Are you asking why you shouldn’t buy Damascus where the steel is not properly listed?

2 Likes

Then you are a league or three beyond my capabilities. When I talk with my bud about forging blades I get the same look on My face as he does when discussing precision reloading and shooting. We both have the basics of the others hobbies but down in the weeds is foreign territory.

Yes please give me the inside Scooby intel on buying a Damascus blade and more importantly what should I be looking for or against when choosing? I know little about the topic other than some cursory reading on making a blade from twisted cable and the occasional Forged in Fire episodes that I have caught.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply, the best thing you can do is order a Damascus knife that you know was forged in the USA. A maker should list his knife with known steel like 1080/15N20 or 1095/15N20. Some other common steels involved with Damascus are O1, D2, 80CRV2, 1084, 52100, etc. Also, 1095 is a questionable choice, because no two lot numbers can be heat treated the same, so in my opinion I would not buy it. But that is just MY opinion about 1095.

I have also never seen a maker that uses quality steel in their Damascus sell a knife below $200 dollars, and that would be for a small low layer Damascus knife. Normally they retail around $350.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information. I was considering getting a “flat” of Damascus just to see how much I could play with it or I could get a generic “ready for finishing blade” and re contour it as I see fit. As I mentioned, I do mostly hand work but I might be inclined to do some “wheel work” to contour the blades sides. I do have the option of my blade smith bud just in case I need to re-quench it if I were to get aggressive in shaping. I was just kicking around some ideas for something different other than a “plain” blade.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

Yeah, most of the time a Damascus billet will not come hardened. Here are some kit knives that will come hardened, and all you have to do is put them together. The steel type is not listed, but you can always contact the company for the steel type. I order materials from here and they have never let me down.

1 Like

This is a kit I used from the WoodCraft store that I got on a whim one day

This is what it ended up like after I re contoured and shaped it, I buried the pins inside the scales for the “no show” look.

On it’s maiden voyage I ended up taking apart an entire deer with just this blade and my EDC pocket knife. I spent a lot of time getting the scales to perfectly fit my thumb and middle finger when gripping it, the index finger rides on the spine of the blade. It was a fun build and has served me well over the past several years.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

@Craig6 - very nice work.

2 Likes

@OldGnome Thanks. My wife calls it “The Pregnant Guppy” as it is much wider in the back than the pic shows. I designed it to fill up the hollow of your hand when you close your hand around it. Very comfortable. I wish I could find the pic of when I just finished it and it was all shiny and polished. It’s showing the miles and hours of use now, kinda like me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

Looks like a nice job, Craig!

1 Like

You just really do nice work @Craig6
I wanna be you when I grow up :wink:

@Zee My step father once told me that I would understand if and when I grew up…

I have steadfastly refused to grow up or not believe in Christmas or a great many things that that were “required” as part of growing up. To that end my step father and I never got along over the years as I was supposed to be “growing up”. I became the “crazy uncle” that his brother was also categorized as to his children and my brothers and sisters. It was only very recently that I was able to see him eye to eye. There is a life time of a long story there, but we finally laughed at life and came to understand each other.

Suffice to say that being me is not an objective but a pass through along the way to just screwing with the establishment and seeing things that need to be done because they didn’t do them right the first time.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like