Advice on a fixed blade knife please

Alright all you knife-knowledgeable people - I need some advice.
I’m looking at fixed blade (non-folding) knives that might be suitable for EDC general purpose use and self defense. I know very little about fixed blade knives, so I’m gonna need some help here.
My criteria:

• bigger grip
  • under $100 if possible
  • serviceable for daily use and self defense
  • I love damascus anything
  • something beautiful with a sense of style or lyrical design would be a bonus

I’m looking at the following knives as a start - anything here I should definitely NOT buy? or should definitely buy? Alternate suggestions?

I’m also looking for a boot knife and looking at these:

either this style:
or this style:
or maybe this

ready? go!

1 Like

I know you probably don’t want to hear it, but spending some time with a martial arts instructor that teaches weapons is worth it’s weight in gold. Just like a firearms instructor can advise you on what to look for in a pistol, a martial arts instructor can help you with your first knife purchase.
Having said that, I like this knife (link) immensely. Several hogs no longer roam the earth because of it. It batons wood well, and I’ve used it for cooking to cleaning.
https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/collections/jeff-white-knives/products/bush-one-knife-by-jeff-white

2 Likes

As a side note, your dirk or dagger styles are not good choices for general everyday use. Also a lot of people end up cutting their self with one until they learn not too.

2 Likes

@Jacob2

Another reason to avoid dirk/daggers is some states have laws against double edge weapons.

3 Likes

Excellent advice. Also not practical right at the moment due to my schedule so that part will need to wait a bit. Teach me a bit about why you like that knife? :slight_smile: thank you!

Good point on the double edge, I’ll go check Missouri and Michigan law.

1 Like

Michigan says “Hi, you can own and carry any single edged knife you want. Don’t you dare touch those double edged knives though!!”

I know you won’t like this, but if you’re going Damascus you need a reputable knife maker using quality steel. Because of the nature of damascus a lot of Pakistani knife makers are cobbling crap metal into beautiful looking pieces of art. But they will fail when put to use. It’s not just Pakistanis doing it, but a majority of the people doing are. The quality smiths doing Damascus will ask for a lot because it’s a lot of work in addition to the costs of materials. That’s the nature of Damascus unfortunately.

1 Like

@Spence @Jacob2 y’all seem to be worrying I’ll mind if you tell me what you think :wink:
Not so, I asked because you guys know stuff I don’t :grin: So teach me and don’t worry I’ll melt… I’m here to learn :smiley:
I know quite a bit about many guns and about shooting. … knives, not so much.

2 Likes

I’ve used hundreds of knives and I’m still not a expert. My fixed blade requirements are: full tang, 1095 carbon steel, 4 inches. Then it has to fit to my hand. A fighting knife is a far cry from what I have. My knife is a bushcraft knife. That means you can baton wood with it, build a shelter, and a ferro rod will strike off it. It has a comfortable hold in that the ergonomics of the handle make it easy to wield. It’s the knife for me. If it’s anything I’ve learned it’s that we each prefer a different knife. Yours is out there, but you gotta know what you want first.
When it comes to price, ask yourself this. Will I use a knife or a gun more often ? Then spend accordingly.

1 Like

Ok, cool that’s a good start.
Based on which I’ll use more, I need to spend at least $900 on it :laughing:
I’ve never lost a gun, but I have lost knives, so that’s a scary number… but on the other hand, maybe if I spent that much, I’d be way more aware of securing it. :laughing:
Ok, so let me revise my list:

• still going with Damascus if possible
  • full tang
  • useful for defense as a primary purpose
  • useful for everyday tasks and bushcraft as a secondary purpose (I have a large folder I use for most everyday stuff)
  • takes and keeps an edge (not sure what kind of steel I need for this)
  • readjusted my price range to under $500
  • Missouri limits blade length to 4" for pocket knives that can be carried concealed but otherwise doesn’t limit blades (except switchblades)

What else should I be considering as important factors?

@Spence, Missouri law doesn’t prohibit double edged blades

1 Like

Look for Bark River Knives. Any of their steel is good, but CPM3V is probably the best.
Bravo series was designed with our military in mind.

Veteran Owned and Operated, all knives they manufacture are worthy of taking anywhere. They mostly use 1095 carbon steel.

And I wasn’t worrying about you melting, I was being polite lol

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t know many laws from other states. Sometimes i think you’re trying to convince some of us to move to your neck of the woods lol

3 Likes

This is based solely on my experience, not any where near an expert. In addition to getting advice from a martial arts expert, you may want to pick which martial arts style you want to inquire at. Depending on style, they may not use a fixed blade, but specialize in specialty folders that can be carried in every day situations instead of a fixed blade. Or they may specialize in fixed blades, but with a blade that is legal to carry everyday on your belt. Your personal style or what you desire to carry may dictate which style of martial arts you pick as well as what your state says you can legally carry in regards to blade size both as a folder or as a fixed blade.

1 Like

I say yes to all of them! They’re gorgeous! But I’ll let those who know more about knives give advice on which one you should get. :grin:

1 Like

:grin: dang it, you’re on to me :innocent:
Missouri is pretty sweet, and we’re not full yet. Come on down!

1 Like

My wife would never go for it. There are venomous critters of the no-leg variety that she is petrified of. (The part of Michigan I live in has none!)

That being said, I’d love to move there. There is a Survival School there I would love to go to.

1 Like

I second what your wife says!

I’ll stay in Wisconsin and visit MO. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not to hijack @Zee s thread, but would anybody want to start a gofundme so i can buy this? Pretty please?? (I’m kidding, was looking for knives for Zee and found this one that I almost couldn’t restrain myself from buying…)

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/bark-river-knives-macv-sog-recondo-cpm-154-black-green-linen-micarta/

2 Likes

Damascus is more for looks. A 1095 carbon steel will outperform Damascus. Most of the time it’s nickel folded into carbon steel.
A carbon with etching can look really nice.

2 Likes