Just Wrong - Porch pirate stopped cold! (Combined topics)

No one has the intentions? Their intentions were made extremely clear during the “peaceful insurrection” all summer long! They enjoyed every drop of blood they spilled. They paid for every drop. Not only do they have the intentions, they have the means and the will. Best of all they have the money and the backings of some very disciplined communist parties! Not to mention the largest propaganda machine in the world! The media!
Trust me, by the ides March she’ll have all the authority of the Oval Office! So, truthfully, I wouldn’t worry about the package on the porch!
No intentions? Tell that to all the people on the pipelines, tell that to all the LEO’s on the front lines, tell that to every small business owner who struggled their whole lives, tell that to the NATIONAL GURAD that just got questioned about their loyalty! Tell that to every family whose kids have to go without school or food!

How about we start with a few loyalty questions for our new President and VP? (correction of terminology for President and VP. ~Moderators)
Oh, that’s right, we’ve been silenced! We can only ask what they’re favorite ice cream flavor is! Trump was a crude New Yorker, but there’s never been a more true to his word President in my lifetime! He did all he said he was going to do with both hands tied behind his back. He did it in 4 years, the new loon that occupies the Oval Office had (can’t say this loud enough) 47 years and all he knows how to do , is sign here, at the behest of the one you think has NO authority! 50 executive orders? That’s a record, I’ll give him that! But “build back better”! That’s the best joke I’ve heard, since man started telling jokes.
When was the last time you used the words “this is a FREE country ain’t it? “ Unfortunately it’s not our country anymore and there is no freedom, and surely nothing to aspire to either, unless you consider being “dumbed down” an aspiration!
By paying bail for violent criminals and allowing scum to walk freely and breathe the same air as my children, and then tell me I can’t talk about it, is insanity with a capital “I”.

3 Likes

So not an attorney, but being well read on our laws here,
Brandishing is when you pull, draw, or show a weapon in a threatening or hostile manner or during an argument. If it is done by the would be victim it is no longer brandishing, it’s a warning. Had he of had the gun slung in sul position in front of him, he might have been able to claim open carry, which is legal in our state on your own property, but he was holding it by the grip, charged it, and was yelling at him. So it’s either a warning or brandishing, the open carry ship has sailed.

In my state you can use lethal force to prevent or stop someone from committing a forcible felony (which includes great bodily harm, arson, breaking into a vehicle that you are currently occupying, etc.). You can also use force up to and including lethal force to detain or enforce a “citizens’ arrest” of someone whom you physically witnessed commit a forcible felony. The thief was not committing a forcible felony.

He was however stealing mail which is a federal class C felony, so the homeowner would have been justified in using “necessary” force (but not lethal force) to stop him and even detain him until the police arrived. Lethal force could only come into play if it escalated and the thief pulled out a weapon of his own. This starts to become a really gray area.

So if it was obvious to the homeowner that the thief was armed while committing his crime, maybe the homeowner was just warning him. If not, then he was brandishing. Of course who is going to press charges, the guy who ran away so he wouldn’t go to federal prison for stealing mail?

I guess it’s not so clean and simple. You have every right to stop someone from victimizing you and to try to do so in a fashion that minimizes risk to yourself, but if you wind up shooting them over stolen mail, that’s a legal battle I wouldn’t want to be in the center of. Especially if I walked out the door yelling and carrying a rifle in hand.

My 2 cents, ok maybe that was 3 cents.

2 Likes

I watched the full video and my position remains unchanged. Protecting a package is not worth going to jail or taking a life. And charging the weapon would not help his case in many jurisdictions.

8 Likes

Search youtube for porch pirate vs glitter bomb.

3 Likes

I’m going to call for a break right here to remind everyone of a few of the Community Guidelines:

NO name-calling - whether they are in the Community or not or if they’re a public figure. Name-calling does nothing to advance your position/view and actually weakens your argument.

NO personal attacks. You may not agree with someone, but that does not mean they’re wrong, are paranoid, or are imagining things that never happened. We all have different backgrounds and different ways of interpreting the same information. Just because their opinion is different from yours does not mean they’re wrong or you are allowed to attack them.

Do NOT advocate illegal behavior. If someone is stealing property in a state that does not allow for the lethal use of force to protect property, do not advocate illegal behavior.

Is it worth the legal aftermath of using lethal force to protect a package being delivered? Committing a crime against someone who’s committing a crime against you does nothing to improve the situation. Illegal use of lethal force will cost more money and more of your life than reporting a stolen package that will be replaced by the shipper (in most cases for free).

Even the legal use of lethal force will result in greater expense in time, stress, and money than replacing the package. How much are you willing to give up over a package that can be replaced with a phone call or an email?

No one wants to be the victim of a crime. However, just because you can use lethal force to protect property (possibly in your state, check your state laws), should you?

7 Likes

This was a staged video. All parties were involved.

2 Likes

Josh, I’m not sure about that–from what I’ve read, only mail or packages that go through the USPS are considered ‘mail’ and would qualify as a federal offense (not sure it applies to FedEx, UPS, etc. )
I completely agree with your logic and presentation of your thoughts on this. Well said.

Josh what state you live in Florida or Texas

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /
That is the the key right there! Unless those were life saving medications in that box, let it go!

6 Likes

Where I am we have stand your ground but , you have to know how to apply it to your condition if you could safely leave after deescalation , do so if you have to shoot be mindful . Attached to every bullet is a potential law suit , and having a pistol with a catchy phrase on it like come and take or we don’t call cops can set you up for failure in court if you have to go to trial, including what’s posted here so yes we should be measured , in our response and our reactions to things around us. My take away his presence and loud tone should’ve been enough, and is step one in the use of force continuum, now his life wasn’t in danger he can be seen as an aggressor, “if it’s not mission critical leave it “ basically like you said if your life depends on it ! If not don’t risk it. And lastly just because you can doesn’t mean you should! The law of the land is what we go by, as broken as it is it still works sometimes and I can live with that , I’ve been doing that since the age of understanding

1 Like

Oh yeah, charging the gun was definitely a threat and showing a hostile manner. :joy::rofl:

1 Like

I second this, that video is awesome.

1 Like

I questioned this as well. There are sites like quora that state it is not a federal crime. However, these answers are often the product of what someone thinks is or should be true rather than what their state statutes and the US code actually say. Typically victims go to their local authorities so the state prosecutes under their laws. This can often result in a misdemeanor instead of a felony depending on the value of the package.
Again, I am not an attorney or authority on the matter, so rather than taking my interpretation or the interpretation or beliefs of someone else on-line, this is the U.S. Code in question:
[USC02] 18 USC 1708: Theft or receipt of stolen mail matter generally (house.gov)

or if it is easier to read, from here:
18 U.S. Code § 1708 - Theft or receipt of stolen mail matter gen­erally | U.S. Code | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute (cornell.edu)

Take note of terms like “any”, “left for collection”, “postal route”, and “mail matter”.
I would be interested to hear your take on it. Am I mis-interpreting something?

I do not live in either of those states. At least not yet. :wink:
We do not have stand your ground. I am in one of the 35 “no duty to retreat” states.
Stand Your Ground (35 States) vs. Duty to Retreat (15 States) – Reason.com

Welcome Sean83! The same thought went through my mind!

I was not sure either.

@Sean83 Welcome to the community! We are glad to have you!

This story explains that the video is “comedy”.

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Maybe it’s time we all just gave up, join the winning side, bow to our masters and be done with it all! Let all the illegals run in, let loose all prisoners, take away our god given rights to defend ourselves, increase lock downs, what’s the point, we can’t get anything done anymore!
It’s happening right in front of our eyes! They won! No use in arguing! All we have left is faith!

1 Like