Just Wrong - Porch pirate stopped cold! (Combined topics)

Really? By reading this post? That’s amazing!!!

1 Like

Yep! Amazing, isn’t it? Words in a public forum, showcasing how meek we’ve become as a nation, and how little is being done to prosecute petty crime, let alone big honking murders.

I think there are a lot of better ways to deal with a porch pirate other than a gun. Especially when you leave the safety of your house, with a gun, to pursue a criminal.

3 Likes

Let’s assume, for an instant, that there no longer is a gun visible to the perp in question.

Do you:

1. Shout agressively “PUT IT DOWN!” and then send the film to the cops, who will not come, and nothing will get done

2. Let the perp walk away with your (thing) and have the seller send a new one (wait, this puts either you, or the seller out)

3. Offer the perp milk and cookies and a nice fireside chat

4. Post the video (minus gun showing) to the world, hoping someone can ID the perp?

Tell me what your “better ways” are.

Edit: Turns out the perp may have been armed. Read every line of this article, don’t just skim it looking for cherries to pick.

4 Likes

Lots of ways to mess with porch pirates, search around.

I am not saying we should put up with crime. What if this had been the outcome? Guys confronts the pirate, argument ensues, man thinks pirate is going for a gun and shoots him. Gun was a cell phone.

Now, is the man within his rights? In a way, I think so. But, how do you think that will end up if it goes to court? That simply is the reality in many cases. The homeowner would have to defend this to a jury that may not like guns.

Honestly, I don’t think the homeowner grabbed his rifle because he thought the pirate was armed. But say it escalated, would you want to potentially shoot someone because they were a thieving pos? What if other ‘witnesses’ told a different story than the homeowner? What if the media decided to run the fake story? Remember “hands up, don’t shoot”? Did not happen in reality, but how many potential jury members in that city believed it did?

The reality is you may be judged unfairly if you use a weapon in the best scenario. Perhaps you see this as being weak, but to me it seems best to pick my battles, especially if it involves potentially shooting someone.

Just my 2 cents worth. Probably worth at least 1/10’th of that. :grinning:

1 Like

So here’s a question for you. What are you doing about it? Personally?

Writing politicians, and where possible, meeting them in person… like my mayor, for example, to explain my position and what I would like to see from my elected representatives.

Hardened the house. Passive deadbolts on the hinge side. Alarm. Cameras.

Doing my homework on who needs to go, and who needs to take their place in '22.

And as the right time comes, I’ll be volunteering with the NRA, GOA and RNC.

What are you doing about it?

1 Like

This is what it looks like when civilizations begin to fall apart. I hope there won’t be so much Monday morning quarterbacking when it is your turn, folks.

In fact, no one can enter a strong man’s house without first tying him up. Then he can plunder the strong man’s house. ~ Jesus of Nazareth, Mark 3:27 (NIV)

Are you bound up in your mind, or are you free to defend what is yours from predators and scavengers?

2 Likes

Can we talk trapdoors, pits and gators? Plenty of gators in FL to stock my (hypothetica) pit over where the trapdoor sits…

1 Like

Good spin. Have I said anything I need to defend? I do what I do. That said perhaps you’ve earned some respect, hmmmm

I was thinking more along the lines of mouse trap glue, weights in the packages, or something along those lines. :grinning:

One thing we have to admit to ourselves, there is NO SUCH THING AS CRIME PREVENTION!
If you really want to prevent crime, theses visual aids should help!

image image
This is the ONLY way to “PREVENT” crime!
I’m taking serious notes from the current affairs in Washington DC! ( Unscalable fences, armed guards with visible ( “scary looking guns” ) weapons and razor wire ).
If anyone has a better idea of how to ACTUALLY PREVENT ( literally meaning, to keep a slime ball from doing something, impede or ACT as a hinderance ) I’m all ears. But if you’re solutions included call or writing to the very people that bail out said slime ball, save your breath!
We’ve tried those measures since man became “civilized”, the current climate does not portend a civilized community, it’s time for a change!
IN NO WAY AM I ADVOCATING ILLEGAL ACTIVITY, JUST TRYING TO MAKE A POINT. ALL CRIMES NEED TO BE PROSECUTED.

4 Likes

Something to consider. We firearm owners talk often about protecting our rights, especially as guaranteed by the the 2nd. I believe one of our most basic rights is our right to our private property. It’s what we build our life around and it includes our mental and physical abilities which we exchange for other property. So i ask the question, exactly how much of your ‘property’ are you willing to just give away to those who just take it before you fight back to stop them? It’s a rhetorical question. There is no one answer that fits all. I’m just pointing out there are many forms our rights take. Regardless every time some just ‘takes’ from you they are taking a piece of your life.

1 Like

Well, the guy who we’re talking about – he’s being pilloried even here, though strangely enough he’s not being pilloried in “regular” gun forums (this place isnt’ a “regular” gun forum, by any means – and I don’t mean that in a derogatory form – only that due to the nature of the host, the people here are not necessarily all POTG yet)

Anyway… the McCloskeys went even further than this guy, and they also go pilloried by the non-POTG.

I hear you, lima charlie… if you can’t defend, and writing letters is going nowhere… let’s see.

The Soapbox has been compromised.

The Ballot Box … heh. What counts is the counters, not the ballots. The Ballot Box is broken. THis year should be proof of that. California is proof of that. Georgia, PA.

The Jury Box… remains to be seen.

So y’all… hold on to your Ammo Boxes. We’re ONE box away from needing that ammo box…

(edit… fixed a horrid typo)

1 Like

Where I live you get prison time if someone steps into your yard and is injured by a booby-trap, a device intended to injure, maim, or kill.

1 Like

You’re breaking my heart!
If stupid gets maimed enough, your yard, home, car or children surely won’t be harmed by said maimed ass#*le. You can thank me in the future!
In some states, if you commit murder and other heinous crimes you can be set free by the VP of the United States! That’s what I call a Booby trap!
There are two devices in the White House who have clear intentions of injuring, killing and maiming all of us.

3 Likes

Oh H*&l I almost choked on dinner :rofl:

Are you okay? You seem off.

The Vice President has no such authority anywhere and no one has the intentions you assign.

I once strung piano wire at headlamp height on a typical ATV across numerous trails on a farm I managed to dissuade trespassers without actually having to wait outside for them to show up a few nights in a row. They showed up the 2nd night. After that, they never came back again. Obstacles and barricades work!

3 Likes

Is it illegal to charge a rifle on your property in some states? I’m assuming it depends on the definition of “brandishing”. I think some states you may be able to get away with this.

I do think this was extremely imprudent, I would never do it (though I do think it’s funny). I also don’t believe in pulling a gun out I’m not ready to use, and I would never shoot someone over a package. He could have really escalated this to a gun fight depending on the perp which would be his fault for bringing it to that level.

1 Like