Just don't understand?!

This is one of those head scratchers…
Why on God’s green earth, would a firearms manufacturer be located in an unfriendly state? For instance,
Kimber
Dan Wesson
I remember not that long ago, if memory serves… Didn’t Beretta move from Maryland to Georgia,?
I am sure they don’t get good treatment from state governments, not to mention some of their firearms can’t even be sold in the state they manufacturer!
Reason I pose this is because cz/Dan Wesson are supposed to have had out a new model called the DWX. It was due out in the first quarter. Well the email I received was we are closed by NY state due to them not being an essential business.( That essential stuff again) so they have no idea when they can open back up .
Which also means if you have a Kimber too, good luck getting spare parts! Wow! Just shake my head! Especially NY state they don’t have a good reputation with the 2A.!
Thanks for listen to my rant! :angry::rofl:

6 Likes

I imagine you have to have highly skilled, highly specialized labour. The trouble of hiring new or relocating old employees is likely much more than annoyance by the unfriendly state.

1 Like

The only reason I can think of, is long, long ago, in a mythical democratic republic these businesses opened their manufacturing operations before the communists took over. I do feel that every effort should be made by these manufacturers to relocate all the highly skilled workers out of communist states. I would be willing to pay higher prices for their freedom!

2 Likes

That has always bothered me too. I really hate spending money in states that are not 2A friendly, as in I will bypass them. Especially if they do not share reciprocity.

2 Likes

I would think in the environment that we are in now, it would be easier to relo. As far as highly skilled Smith’s there are plenty of schools and Smith’s that would jump at the chance to work for these manufacturers( if I was a betting man)

2 Likes

Hi James and all, I don’t know the timeframe of relocations… I have a little .22 derringer made by North American Arms… Provo Utah! What? No caffeine, no alcohol, no Coca Cola… multiple wives are okay… but this company has been around forever. (I’m missing something in this logic.) They are also very hush-hush. I had to send my little pistol back because of a mfg. defect and had to address it very carefully… sort of a secret code. All was made well. Took a bit of time because everyone who is not directly in mfg/production is working from home–and teaching 5th grade.

Oh, and I originally bought the gun from their San Diego dealer… Hiram’s Guns and Liquor. Keep scratching your head–NOT making this up! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They still have a service facility in Maryland. The slide on my APX is marked Accokeek. Wonder if it was from before they moved out manufacturing?

1 Like

Kimberly,
I understand what you are saying, yet if you have shipped firearms to other manufacturers for repairs , they tell you (yes to use “secret code” ) even in 2a friendly states. Being some parcel carries get funny about shipping firearms. For instance many times I was told to label firearms machine parts, and to send second day air. And to insure it.
Thank you for your feed back! I do appreciate it.
And no I don’t have lice! :+1::+1::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

A lot of anti-2A laws were introduced within the last 20-25 years. I guess some companies were overtaken by events.
I’m not a business owner so I’m not sure how easy or hard it is to relocate.

1 Like

The answer is in history. The U.S. firearms manufacturing has been in the north east since before there was a USA. The main reason is steel/iron in the granite rich hills/mountains. Also the vast majority of people in the mid to late 1800’s lived in the north east as a manufacturing center for all manner of things. The south and the west were primarily agricultural and much less densely populated. That was also one of the major causative factors of the War of Northern Aggression contrary to popular belief. Why are they still there? I have no good answer for that.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

Some are moving, or have been moving. How about Magpul getting out of Colorado. Beretta moved to Tennessee. Remingoton to Alabama. Ruger to New Hampshire and Arizona.

BTW, you can get alcohol, soda, etc in Provo, and all over the State… thriving beer industry too. :smiley:

4 Likes

One of my favorite things to do was to visit the Remington Museum before I would head north up to the Adriondacks. That factory was built long before NY became 2a hostile. I had to look up where the Dan Wesson factory was, as I didn’t realize they were made in NY also. I wish I had known long time ago as they’re even closer to where I lived than Ilion. It’s now on my list of things to do the next time I head back north.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good reason to relocate!

Larry

1 Like

I feel your pain @James322:pensive:
I’ve been waiting for my DWX C, hoping to have it on April … and now have to wait another 6 months or more… :tired_face:

Perhaps Dan Wessons’ wife loves Norwich Neighborhood, he loves his wife… and Family gets priority over the Business :sunglasses:

If I need to replace parts on a Kimber, I won’t be ordering from Kimber… :grinning:

I do get what the OP is saying, no clue why they stay in gun hating states.

I just bought a fun lever action Henry Rifle.
I asked them why they stay in NJ when they are shutdown because of it, we’ll take you here in TX

They replied, because we have been here for over 100 years.

2 Likes

From personal experience, Kimber has located a number of their services in GA.
I shipped my 1911 there, not NY–when it needed help.

1 Like

Christensen arms is also made in Gunnison, UT. (on my bucket list is one of their rifles)There are probably many manufacturers of firearms and parts in Utah. Boise, ID is another huge hub for the same industry. One of my favorite brews is called “Polygamy Porter”, which I think is outlawed in NC., brewed in Salt Lake. I am not to sure about this statement…I think there is a large commune south of the Idaho border…anyways the company name that is associated with the large parcel of land, etc…owns many companies, including firearms companies. I cant remember the name of that corporation off hand…
Kimber has a service/repair center located in northwest MT. Out here in the “wild,wild, west” thank goodness we have several firearms companies!!!
ps…my nickname is kimberly sue, my mrs gives me a jab when I tell people that…

1 Like

James,
Two things: FedEx and UPS will ship Anything. USPS is a totally different story. Also, insurance is a joke–with any of the carriers. Yes, you can pay for it, but if anything is lost or missing, you will be SO out of luck. Be plain and ordinary.

Second (you will laugh): Talking to the rep on the phone to get the address, I did a, “WHAT? Wait! UTAH? I thought only Mormons lived there!” She chuckled and said, “No, mostly Californians now.” Even funnier… the street addresses are compass coordinates!

2 Likes

One would think that they would move, but the area you are talking about has been the center of firearms manufacturing since this country was founded. What needs to happen is some state or municipality offer some kind of major incentive that is temping enough to lure these companies away from the historical hub of firearms manufacturing and create a new center of the industry. Problem is, there is an entrenchment of people and roots in a community that go beyond any and all financial incentives. Companies like Magpul are the scrappy young startups compared to a Colt or Remington, so those shallower roots are easier to move.

1 Like