Judge Tosses NRA’s Attempt to Relocate to Texas

4 Likes

@USCCA

3 Likes

Why does the NRA need a judges permission to move its base of operations!?

2 Likes

Best guess is because they’re sanctioned there.as an organization & they’re being sued there.

2 Likes

Why were most of the people on the NRA Board of Directors excluded from the decision to file for bankruptcy?I’m a life member of the NRA and concerned over the news stories alleging financial wrongdoing by the organization. I think it was a mistake to force Chris Cox to resign and not have Oliver North in a high profile public speaking role. It seems the organization is weak at a time the Second Amendment needs a vigorous defense. Although I think the Democrat Party rulers in New York state are carrying out a vendetta against the NRA and law abiding gun owners, the NRA leadership is responsible for the mess the organization is in.

5 Likes

It’s a sad time for NRA members, indeed. I will continue to train as an NRA instructor and will support my fellow members however I can. Hoping things will turn around soon!

Here in California, I work closely with the California Rifle and Pistol Association. While not as big or powerful as the NRA, they do have some"teeth" when it comes to dealing with California gun legislation. They stand independent of the NRA, but work right beside them!

Let’s keep the faith!!!

5 Likes

I don’t think he said they can’t relocate, just that they can’t declare bankruptcy to get out of the lawsuit. Moving was secondary to the bankruptcy.

2 Likes

In the article I shared in one of the other treads on this topic (can’t find it, now), the AP said the NRA was headquartered in DC, but their charter is in NY. That subjects them to NY state jurisdiction no matter where they’re physically based.

Sounds rather complicated, legally speaking. Maybe someone else has the TL;DR version.

1 Like

I think that was the gist of it. They wanted to declare bankruptcy and dissolve the organization, then reform in Texas. From what I understand, that was the plan to get away from the lawsuit in NY. That by dissolving and reforming the entity being sued would no longer exist. The judge basically said they were too solvent and had too much operating capitol to declare bankruptcy.

1 Like

I was stationed in Southern California for about 1 year while I served in the Marines in the mid to late 70s. Beautiful state and I enjoyed my time there. As much as I liked the area I did not want to live there after completing active duty. I thought it was one of the worse governed states in the union and it appears to be in much worse shape now. It may still be paradise for the Hollywood and Silicon Valley people along with millions of slackers on the dole, but, not for the law abiding middle class people who work. And the state is very hostile to law abiding gun owners.

So many different articles out there about the NRA. I could not pinpoint it, but does any one know what was the actual law suit against the NRA which prompted them to want to move to another state?