New Court Decision about Red Flag laws

I think this may cause a change in Red Flag Laws. I am glad to see this.

5 Likes

Iirc, CT, the “Constitution state” has had red flag laws for 19 years now…and watching several states reactions to the Bruen decision, has me saying “whatever.”
ATF still running amok, trying to redefine chunks of metal, computer programs, and molded plastic with Velcro straps…
It’s a great time to unknowingly become an outlaw, eh? :smirk:

3 Likes

I agree with all of your points @mattm. I am just glad to see the decision. My hope is that, eventually, the sheer number of infringements being overturned will eventually cause infringements to not be pursued.

Call me an optimist.

This non stop attack on the 2A is a fairly recent phenomenon. Yes the Assault Weapons of the 90’s was not fun. But, lately it seems like 2A is being attacked from every angle.

6 Likes

The headline of the YouTube video can be rather misleading.
The NY Red Flag Law has been declared unConstitutional ONLY in Monroe County, NY, and not even in the neighboring counties around Monroe. The video headline means that the SCOTUS 6-3 decision in New York State Rifle and Pistol Assn., Inc. v. Bruen, is the basis for the local county court judge to make his ruling that the NY Red Flag Law is unConstitutional.

This is a good start, but we have a long way to go through the courts before all Red Flag or Extreme Risk Protection Order (ERPO) laws are voided as unConstitutional.

Part of the confusion is due to New York calling the first level local court in each county the Supreme Court of the County of X. These are the equivalent to what most other states call District Court. They are not appellate courts, and their rulings set no precedents usable by any other jurisdiction.
If this ruling is appealed to the New York Court of Appeals (their state supreme court) we could see further back and forth on the decision.

5 Likes