Is USCCA membership worth it?

For years and right up to this day probably the most discussed and publicized self defense case in the history of the US is the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin case.

Despite the demoniation of Zimemrman in the media prior to that night he was just an average guy, going to school, working part time, active in his community and liven in a neighborhood that had been faced with increasing breakins and other criminality. As a result of the latter he joined the unofficial and rather disorganized neighborhood watch just as millions of other Americans have done over the years.

FF’wd to that night. Well George has the munchies and heads out to he grocery store. As a NW participant he made a slow pass around the neighborhood prior to heading out to the store.

Oh, by the way just like 16-20 other Americans he was legally carrying his personal defense firearm.

We all know how it goes from there.

I’d heard in an interview with his lead atty that his case cost over 100k per day if all you counted were court days and did the math in my head thinking that was a whopper of a bill.

In an article about a recent interview with Zimmerman they mention a figure of 3.5 million dollars in total for his defense.

Think long and hard for a minute. Should you ever find yourself in a self defense shootingh without some form of prepaid legal or self defense insurance how would you pay for your own defense if it went to trial?

It wasn’t until that case that I myself added a prepaid legal to my own existing shooter’s liability coverage and after a long time looking into what else was available decided to join the USCCA as a member. I’d already figured that the cost of membership was more than offset just by the free training and information available through the site and through the regular emails to members and the cost of membership was less than I was paying for prepaid legal alone.

To me, it’s some of the best money I’ve ever spent so for any of you that haven’t joined I strongly suggest you take the leap and do so.

Here is the article.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/07/seven-year-later-george-zimmerman-speaks-someone-he-trusts/#axzz5t3SHFC4Q

8 Likes

I joined the USCCA when I began the process of obtaining my carry permit. I have several reasons for maintaining my membership, but the dead simple bottom line is this: I don’t want to be in the position of being forced to defend my life just so I can lose everything I spent a lifetime working for.I

Regards.
I don’t shoot to kill; I shoot to live.

5 Likes

All very valid points.

I would add that all the access to training materials you get with a membership is worth the monthly cost alone. If you take advantage of the material.

1 Like

That’s how I see it. Even with the premium package I have the cost is completely offset by the training and information resources alone.

Statistically I’m not likely to ever need the prepaid legal benefit anyway and should I, I’m getting it essentially for free as I see it.

3 Likes

Before retiring from law enforcement, I had the advantage of qualified immunity and the FOP Legal Defense Fund to lean on if I ever got sued. While a LEO, I became an attorney and worked a Lot of insurance cases. After retiring I knew I had to get insurance. I started with NRA’s insurance which was a reimbursement program. Law Shield was around but it’s benefits were similar to NRA’s program. I was not aware of USCCA at the time. After I learned of USCCA and it’s benefits, I was quickly sold on its benefits over the competitors. I have been a USCCA member since and recommend it to everyone, even active law enforcement because they might cross a county line or even a state line and become just like Joe Citizen as far as use of force. I will admit that I tell them to check out Carry Guard, Law Shield and USCCA so they can decide but tell them let’s talk again after you compare. I was so impressed with USCCA that I joined their network of attorneys and an part of the rapid response team.

10 Likes

Like you, when I was active duty I had the County backing me on general damages and I had a union attorney to back me on punitive damages. Had to use them twice. No punitive, which was my main concern. Since retirement I joined a state peace officers group that provides attorneys if I’m involved in a shooting through their Legal Defense Fund. That group is less expensive than USCCA, however the coverage is not as extensive. I went with USCCA due to that.

4 Likes

For me it was a USCCA video featuring a law abiding Black American member (David Jackson) who received “Class A” service from the critical response team. His testimony provided me with the comfort I needed; I went ELITE that day. Thanks Mr. Jackson!

3 Likes

All good points guys/gals. Another issue that this particular case raises is just how expensive even a case that on it’s face is a slam dunk can be if it becomes politicized. Many of those other providers have very strict limits on the coverage provided. Some of them will only go as far as a simple criminal or civil trial and will not cover any appeals.

One of the things I found most attractive about the USCCA is that they are with you to the end. If you have a case and want to keep fighting they won’t abandon you.

8 Likes

Bingo… what WildRose stated.

1 Like

Joining the USCCA has changed my life and I’ve only been a member for a couple months. I went all-in with the Elite tier. All the helpful resources and training information has grounded me and opened my eyes to the seriousness and responsibility of carrying concealed and defending my home and loved ones. There’s so much to learn and digest. Plus, it feels good to have piece of mind that should the worst happen I am not alone. Before I get there hopefully I can avoid it to the best of my ability.

6 Likes

I joined USCCA after I was no longer covered under the FOP Legal Defense Plan and lacked either sovereign or qualified immunity. Had I known better before, I would have joined when I was an active LEO because there are many cases where immunity and/or FOP would not have applied. I now recommend every LEO get their own personal coverage identifying the big three providers and giving them my personal recommendation as a retired LEO and attorney.

3 Likes

I really think it’s very inexpensive mine is like around $26.and change so rounded up to $30/month let’s say is $360 per year. I’m going to switch up and add my wife shortly to the Elite but at the moment Platinum is performing well.

I am a fairly new member to the USCCA. A good friend, shooting buddy, and lawyer recommended I join. In addition to the training and such available, I think it is invaluable to have access to a lawyer for the initial interview, if God forbid, I am involved in a self defense shooting.

I was in a minor car accident today. I was not at fault, but my hands were shaking for at least half an hour, and I was out of it a bit mentally for part of the morning. I can’t imagine the stress of an actual self defense shooting.

How many defense lawyers have said: “OK, you talked to the police without me. Good deal, you certainly saved some money and made your case so much easier.” :grinning:

Not a dig at the LEO, but as an average citizen, I am out of my league when it comes to legal questioning, especially after a stressful event.

1 Like

One word: YES IT IS! That is all.

2 Likes

Well, @ShawnShine, that was three words, but I get it! :rofl:

4 Likes

Most, if not all of us run into situations in our lives which we are not prepared to handle on our own. Usually these require some kind of specialized knowledge or skills or tooling, and likely all three. If my computer has a problem deeper than my basic understanding, I seek out someone with the skills and experience to to the job. Think of the things that might warrant calling in a professional: plumbing, electricity, medicine, auto repair/body work, major home renovation, bricklaying, HVAC, gunsmithing, investing and taxes, etc, etc.

I’m reasonably certain that a lot of folks here are capable of handling any number of these situations, and many more I haven’t mentioned. But when it comes to the criminal justice system, well, LEO’s, and detectives and prosecutors are very well versed in the inticacies, but I am not. I need an experienced professional right from the start and all the way through. What I don’t need is my usual cut-and-try, university of youtube, figure it out as I go approach which has served me well enough in most things. In the past that way of doing things has cost me some money (and maybe a few minor injuries), but in the aftermath of a self defense shooting, it could cost me my life and everything I’ve ever worked for. I need the kind of professional which the USCCA is here to provide. The relatively minor cost of membership is nothing compared to the actual and potential benefits.

4 Likes

@David38 is absolutely right. Police have attorney’s represent them if they get in trouble and usually have the backing of the government or the FOP or both to provide them attorneys. Even the best attorney will hire another attorney to represent him in a dispute. The old adage is “The attorney who represents himself has a fool for a client!” Even when prosecuting cases, police may know the system but they are fact witnesses, nothing more. Prosecutors, defense attorneys and judges (all of which are attorneys) run and regulate the criminal justice system. There are a myriad of laws, procedures, state rules, local rules and customs that need to be adhered to in the CJ system. Very few people who are not regularly in the system are able to grasp and follow all the technicalities in the system and a single mistake can mean the loss of liberty or property.
USCCA can provide you with an attorney when you need one most. And there may be an attorney or two that participate in the discussions in the Community.

2 Likes

It is if you shoot somebody. It’s like all insurances, if need it, its there. You may go thru life with never needing car insurance but it was there if needed.

JC
Rotonda, Florida

1 Like