Why I Chose USCCA

I have been a member of USCCA for several years. My wife and I attended a seminar 2 weeks ago on defending yourself from an active shooter.
The 2 hour class was very informative and at the end a representative from US Law Shield discussed their program and it sounded really great.
When he stated that US Law Shield did not have a cap on attorney fees both criminal and civil , my wife and I looked at each other. We both were very much aware that there was a cap for USCCA.
After the seminar was over I joined USLS. I came home and called USCCA to cancel and was told to think about my decision for a day and then call back. Paul was more than willing to cancel but he suggested that I study the two very carefully.
I did my homework and found that USLS does not have any coverage for a member for personal liability in a civil suite. I am not interested in a guarantee of attorney payment and then lose my assets of 74 years of hard work and savings.
At the time I was a Platinum Member of USCCA and after comparing the two I moved up to Elite Member and cancelled my new membership with USLS. I must say that they did listen very carefully why I decided to stay with USCCA and was told by them that my decision to cancel USLS was valid. Within a day my refund was back in my bank account.
I would not be surprised that in the future USLS has coverage similar to USCCA.
In todays world the Civil Suite scares me more than the Criminal Charges if I were to have use my weapon in self defense.

18 Likes

I believe that to be a valid concern in today’s society.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. I know many of us will identify with the thought process you went through. I too feel like USCCA is by far the best option. We can all get so much more from our membership. This Community is a great example.

7 Likes

Yes @Albert_Al , USCCA’s coverage is more comprehensive. It’s great that you did your due diligence in comparing the 2 when making your decision. Years ago I did the same thing with the then offered NRA insurance and found there was no comparison, USCCA’s coverage was by far the better choice.

Now, the next step in your coverage is to go get some USCCA training. You’ll have the same lightbulb go on once you’ve finished a class.

7 Likes

Bravo! On the insight.

2 Likes

I am convinced that whether there’s criminal charges or not, there will be a civil suit. Someone’s mama will always think their little boy shouldn’t have been shot just because he was committing an armed robbery.

6 Likes

All the more reason to have protection from a Clivil law Suit.

1 Like

In my mind, USCCA was a no brainer. I discussed it with my wife and we looked at several options. In the end she agreed that USCCA offered better overall coverage, so I signed on for a Platinum membership. Very happy I did and will soon be stepping up to the next level.

2 Likes

Only thing I have to say about USCCA, for elite members increase your criminal coverage from $250,000 to $500,000 if possible.

1 Like

I’m a Elite Level and I agree, either up the max for Criminal Coverage to $500,000 or provide a “rider” to $1,000,000 criminal coverage, just like your home insurance riders.

I’m am interested in what you all have said here. I am trying to decide whether to join or not. Leaning more to yes, and the trying to figure which is the better option plan

4 Likes

This is a great place to ask questions, @Rayg5102! If you want to ask a question of a specific person, please be sure to tag them with the @ before their name (@dawn to tag me for example).

We would love to have you in the USCCA Family!

3 Likes

@Dawn

Is there ever going to be an increase in coverage. $250,000 for bond and criminal attorney fees is nothing in a murder case nowadays.

1 Like

@Zavier_D, we do review our membership offerings every year to see how we can best serve our members. If you’ve been a member for a few years you’ll have seen some very positive changes in membership offerings already.

I cannot tell you when (or if) there will be an increase, but I will share your feedback.

I agree and echo @Zavier_D’s opinion on the coverage amount

1 Like

I get a magazine called OffGridWeb.com, it’s generally a good read with a blend of self defense, self reliance, and prepping articles. In this months issue (#41) there is an article on Self-Defense Insurance Policies.

If you want to see how great the USCCA is read this article. They don’t mention the USCCA at all, they talk about the NRA insurance trying to make it sound amazing. It doesn’t come close to the benefits of the USCCA.

The NRA insurance on their website is through Lockton which is NOT the NRA. If you read the fine print at the bottom of the NRA/Lockton insurance it says this
 “Not available in all states including NY.”

So, the NRA got shut down in NY and had to pay millions in settlements, a lot of folks would say “good they deserve it” but, if this can happen to them it can happen to the USCCA so always watch what you wish for or celebrate.

Personally when one of our competitors at work go out of business it’s terrifying! What did they do wrong, what happened, will it happen to us?!

1 Like

Great post. Much food for thought. I wondered if I owned two insurance policies, one from USCCA, and one from another company which offers some of where USCCA might have gaps in or lack in. However, I’m sure how it would even work at all having “two”. I had emailed USCCA, but their initial response was a bit confusing to me. I need to check ‘better’.

What is the difference in insurance coverage, if any, between the three membership levels?

Call 877-677-1919 and you will get answers to more than you even knew to ask. 24/7, 363 (except ~1 hour a week for the meeting where you may leave a voicemail and get called back)

It’s my understanding that changes in the past year or so have made the coverage the same for all membership levels. The main difference in the levels now is the amount of training materials and other information resources you have access to.

2 Likes