Is.their.A.Benefit.to.carrying.in.A.shoulder.Holster.?

Does anyone have any benefit.from carrying.their.E.D.C… in A. Shoulder.Holster. If.so.Why❓

There is probably some kind of benefit, like being able to conceal a decent size firearm even when it’s warm out with the right over garment, and ease of having spare mags on the other side, but, overall…I have exactly 0 interest in ever using a shoulder holster.

Having to reach across your body and then trying to avoid sweeping yourself, other people, etc, on the way to the target/threat…no thanks.

I’m not sure which one I dislike more…shoulder holster, or 6 o’clock small of back carry directly behind you and over the spine.

6 Likes

there are two types of shoulder holsters. The old “Miami classic” which is a horizontal, and then the newer ones that are vertical. the vertical holsters are a very similar draw to a regular cross draw belt holster setup honestly. They are very handy for being able to CC in a blazer or suit coat, or if you want to carry something fullsize, especially in the winter.

then we arrive to the real reason that vertical shoulder slung rigs exist…

7 Likes

A shoulder holster has never pulled anyone’s trousers down.

12 Likes

Some vertical draw should holsters have a spring retention, meaning you do not have to pull the firearm up and then out (just pull straight out). Faster and safer (no flagging).

6 Likes

Range Matt. I Have a holster. That . My friend made a two mags. Under the right arm just down my side and on my left side my edc. Is straight.in. And it is so kool because you don’t even have to tie it down . It’s simple . And straight in.!! If you turn sideways you can shoot . With it still in your holster. I am going to get some help and get some pictures . Of. Some things that are really kool I am getting better . With my letters with Debbie ann helping me . And . I will try and get on that . . I know everyone would like to see what I have been blabbering about . I know . O. I GOT MY MEMBERSHIP RENEWED. So . I HAVE TO BE VERY KOOL ZZ KAZ Debbie ann is who pays for my therapy. Haw haw humor . :rofl::rofl: MY MEMBERSHIP. So I have to not . Act. Like respect is a bumper sticker . !! No matter . She and I have a deal I will stay .Sharp. And I can have her pay for my ammunition. And my membership. And that’s a good deal . I love ya all and . That’s . Say kind words or in my case shut up . So I . TRULY . Carry my 7””KABARs. Under each arm. And . THAT MEANS MY EDC. Goes. On each side and my magazines . And in the front . And yes you can see them . But I wear my dress shirt . And leave it open and it hides most of my tools. If anyone gets to . Close they. Will have to back up. !! KAZ my straight blades. ARE . DEFINITELY ON DUTY. !! I am on a swivel . All was . Love Bobby jean. What works for you . THATS YOU. If it’s not broken don’t fix it . Amen :chile::us::heart::white_heart::blue_heart::100::100::100::bangbang::beers::partying_face::cherry_blossom:

5 Likes

I would love to carry with a shoulder holster, given my love for James Bond. I also think it would be a comfortable way to carry but I will never know. I don’t wear suit coats or vests anymore. They are just out of style. Some argue drawing across the body is also not the safest or fastest way to draw in a short combat situation.

4 Likes

I have a vertical shoulder holster that I use when hiking. Mainly because my pack has a hip strap that will impede with belt carry. Also use the shoulder carry instead of a chest rig to keep the pistol kinda out of sight.

6 Likes

Sonny Crocket proved you can carry a big gun in the heat while being stylish.

As for me, I don’t see much use. I don’t carry a gun that big, and if I’m wearing a jacket I’m perfectly happy with 3:00 OWB.

4 Likes

I have 2 shoulder holsters! One for my full size gun, the other for my subcompact! Both are leather, both horizontal with extra mags! Concealment with coat, or large flannel shirt, or vest! When I cross my arms, you’re not sure that I have just pulled my gun!!!

3 Likes

Like other folks no ass is hard to keep up your pants so i have both I like the shoulder holster for the comfort and for the hip my suspenders help a lot.

6 Likes

Norman54. I have my knives in my shoulder holsters and they are great and then my two new HELL CATS ARE ON EACH SIDE . And I have SUPENDERS TO HOLD UP MY BELT . And my knives necklace . Is a hundred and fifty grams of 9,25 silver . CHAIN. AND A SILVER AND TURCOIS. Sheaf. SO IT LOOKS GREAT FOR TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS . And I wear . CUSTOM LEGGINGS WITH BUCK 1,19. SILVER TIP BUCK KNIFES . I AM BETTER WITH MY BLADES THAN MY EDC’s. SO T SEVEN STRAIGHT KNIFES AND TWO HELL CATS . And four extra magazines . I AM JUST CONFEE. And I make all my own leather holsters . I have a light weight leather duster . That has no sleeves . . So I can in load everything in less than 3 minutes . I definitely have the old west going on . And spurs . THAT ARE SPECIAL . I was looking at my self in the mirror and Walmart and I have. SO MANY PEOPLE WANTING TO BUY MY LEATHER WORK . I have been working with leather all my life . If I don’t like something or get tired of it I just give it away . . I GAVE AWAY TWENTY KABAR KNIFES IN JUST ONE WEEK . I we to the jumbo KABAR KNIFES . I wear three belts . And I made my back brace . That is a life saver . I customize my spurs . They are not what you would think when you think about spurs . What really matters is being able to get to every single tool . And knowing where it is . I have made mirrors for my duster so I can see behind me . . I HAVE JUST THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF TOOLS :toolbox: so I can get to them without trying love Bobby jean :toolbox::toolbox::toolbox::chile::us::face_with_peeking_eye:HAVE A ROOT BEER :beer: . K

I prefer shoulder holster carry when on a motorcycle.

3 Likes

For me the combo of no ass and a big belly is a double whammy!

5 Likes

I use a leather shoulder holster largely because of comfort. Besides, I find it difficult to unholster from a hip, IWB, OWB, or SOB holster while in a vehicle.

Of course one needs to wear an over garment to hide your firearm from prying eyes. As an aside, It also keeps my britches from falling down.

In the end I suppose it’s a matter of personal preference.

4 Likes

It looks like me and cpgumby have the same problem if that is one.
A great discussion so far everyone has an opinion thats great.

1 Like

Not all shoulder rigs are created equal. Some hang loose from the shoulder and secure the holster only at the belt, making them more comfortable but also allowing them to “wave about” if you are bending or twisting. Shoulder holsters that provide less “waving about” have a tendency to be less comfortable (more restrictive). There is also the matter of cost. A high quality leather holster can easily set you back as much as $300. Cheaper ones (i.e. non-leather) often tend towards being a bad investment. So in the end, it comes down to personal taste and your budget. The return policy of the seller is critical!

2 Likes

I have the us army old shoulder holster for the 1911 maybe not as fast as some bu at least having one could make all the difference ant thoughts ?

I used a shoulder holster early in my CCW journey. The gun fell out of it one day when I was in public. No more shoulder holsters for me. But I can see how they would be a viable option for the reasons stated above.

1 Like

There are definitely down sides that have been touched on. I would suggest a leather one made for your specific firearm that has a sturdy snap. Other down sides include being pricey, learning how to adjust it before and after the straps break in, how to put it on (easy once you ‘get it’) and learning a safe/functional draw as well a safe way to re-holster. IMO, it also looks like two paper back book are under your arms if you don’t have a heavy enough coat and try to close it.

That being said, I prefer the shoulder holster for certain situations when I can wear a heavy coat:

• Easy access while driving without affecting your sitting position/seat belt position.
  • I find it prints less when I’m lifting things like bags of salt/soil/equipment off of the ground.
  • If I’m rolling around on the ground (like under a vehicle) I don’t have to worry about the holster/firearm scraping against the concrete, or digging into my hip while laying on that side. I use the horizontal version without tie downs with the firearm/magazines set high under my armpits which really helps to stabilize the holster.
  • It opens up slots on the belt for tools or other EDC items. This is also helpful if your gear includes a larger backpack with a belt strap, or lumbar pack.
  • Magazine pouches on the opposite side can also carry other EDC items. I use the shoulder holster as a bedside system so that I can put it on quickly and have flashlight, mag, and firearm available, all holstered without needing a belt.
  • Systems like the one from Galco allow mixing and matching components, such as having a second firearm holster, a knife sheath, or even a 4x magazine carrier.
  • No fumbling with holster or firearm when needing to use a toilet.

After getting used to how to put the shoulder holster on, it goes on about as quickly as putting on a backpack.

One way to experiment is to replace the firearm holster with magazine pouches for your spares (Galco shoulder holsters allow mixing and matching of components). However, I think the reduced weight would increase the time for the straps to conform to your body (break-in).

2 Likes