Is S&W Performance Center Overrated?

Before I continue, my first gun was a PC Shield. I bought it on sale for $450. The o lay problem I had with the gun is the front fiber optic sight tube fell out on my 2nd range trip. Gun Smith super glued it back in and it never came loose again. It is a great gun.

My wife has the gen 1 standard shield and the PC shield is a decent upgrade, the trigger being the biggest difference. The PC shield is ported, and knowing what I do now I would avoid ports for a carry gun (though I will still carry the PC shield, I just don’t plan to buy ported guns for carry in the future).

However, I ran into the PC Shield Plus the other day and it was $899… that seems outrageous to me. Those look like fiber optic sights, which I would already want to change.

1 Like

:scream:

$900 for upgraded version of polymer handgun worth $400 :zipper_mouth_face:

To be honest… the only reason I would ever go with PC version is 4" barrel. But the price is unacceptable for small polymer pistol. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

7 Likes

Exactly

2 Likes

That’s highway robbery. I paid $560 for my 9 Shield Plus PC 3.1” barrel. I love it.

2 Likes

Find a new gun store. That’s a ridiculous price.

3 Likes

I’d pay a premium for a performance center… but not 2X the price. Yikes!

5 Likes

Perhaps it comes with golden plated trigger bar and sear? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

This is Cabelas, they usually have big box store prices…

2 Likes

I wonder if they forgot to put the optic on… looks like a mistake now that I’ve looked at their website.

Here is a whole kit with the standard Shield plus and it’s $650 plus a bunch of goodies.

2 Likes

Hence find a new gun store. But then I haven’t stepped inside of a big box retailer for a gun. Ever… I have bought all of mine from small family owned or had them custom built. But that’s just me.

2 Likes

I think right now it’s definitely a sellers market.
Unless of course I’m trying to sell something.

3 Likes

I think I paid 650 for mine, I’ll look for the receipt when I get a chance.

2 Likes

These are regularly under $600. Find a new store.

2 Likes

Do not confuse “Performance Center” with the S&W “custom shop”. The performance center is where gun monkeys bolt on cool toys. The custom shop depending on the depth of your wallet is where art and magic come from. I am not a S&W fan but I have been given a private tour of the custom shop and it is impressive, more so the 4 or 5 smiths that do the real custom stuff, true craftsmen and artisans. Our world will be lacking when they pass as most ore well into their 60’s and that has been a few years ago.

Cheers,

Craig6

7 Likes

If it is the model, that comes with a holographic sight that’s one thing. If it’s just the pistol, with FO sights, that’s highway robbery.

3 Likes