Is 14 rounds too many?

14 rounds fired at a fleeing drug dealer,two hit the person fleeing one went almost through a house ( through the living room and stopping in the kitchen). Also reported that the car had numerous bullet holes. What I don’t understand is that I have always taught my kids and others to make sure of your down range. There was a school a couple of blocks away. Am I looking at this right or wrong? And yes they are still protesting

3 Likes

Do you have a link to the story?

2 Likes

A fleeing drug dealer have ceased being an aggressor. How is shooting him considered self defense?

9 Likes

Shooting a fleeing person is tantamount to murder unless the person is shot at you. Cant you seek cover?

6 Likes

The person hit a deputy with his car and almost hit a second deputy while trying to flee that is when the deputy opened fire my question is too many rounds fired in a congested area you can’t outrun a radio

5 Likes

@John460 - A link to the story would help a lot. There are a number of components of the story that are missing.

4 Likes

Our local PD has a do not pursue policy once the helicopter makes a visual.

1 Like

This sounds like the Andrew Brown shooting in Elizabeth City, NC.

If this is the case you are referring to, I believe the fleeing felon hit one officer when he went in reverse, then hit the second one when he floored it in drive. The only reason the 2nd officer was merely bumped and not run over was because he managed to jump mostly out of the way. The 14rounds were fired by 3 different officers and the entire thing was over in a second or two. I don’t think i’ve seen how many hits vs misses and where misses may have landed. Badge cam video is available on the internet.

4 Likes

Thanks Harvey and John460.

I’m not sure if anyone else was shot by accident/friendly-fire (by the police). If they had, I can see how it could have been “heard around the world”. I can’t speak for the officers, allegedly, they could have fired 4-5 shots per officer – to some, I imagine that can be perceived as a low amount, and that their lives were at stake.

Still, valuable for review by law enforcement for education and training, looking for best practices like other professions do. IDK.

2 Likes

I’ve seen some LEO’s shoot, they need more range time.

6 Likes

You can try to get the daily advance newspaper , kinda one sided

1 Like

Imagine how much death and destruction a berserk, combative, drug impaired driver can cause with three ton a car?
Stopping the perp in that case has to account for something.
A moving car is a pretty large target, while a moving head in a car is not, leading me to suppose many of those shots might have been intended to disable the vehicle in order to stop the mayhem

3 Likes

No, I do not believe that they were aiming at the vehicle to disable it, could be, but the shot placement would seem to rule that out. The fleeing felon rule is more likely that police operate under (which other private citizens do not have available to them) would allow them to shoot even in areas where collateral damage is likely.

Many departments prohibit or discourage firing into moving vehicles, including the Pasquotank County Sheriff’s Office.

There was an incident in NYC a number of years ago and nine bystanders on a sidewalk were also hit.

Here is some interesting videos on shooting through different things. We shoot center mass, the largest area on the human body, to ensure that we stop the threat, since the engine block will stop handgun rounds, shooting at that will not stop a vehicle. Shooting the tires sounds nice, but, again, small moving target. Police have a difficult enough time to hit a person, much less their torso, even less so a tire on a moving vehicle. So that leaves shooting at the next largest target in the vehicle, the suspect. As police departments typically have policies against shooting at vehicles, I suspect tires would be included in that prohibition.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen the video or read the details so will withhold judgement one way or the other. But 14 rounds from 3 officers who may have legitimately felt someone was trying to kill them and may have been an imminent threat to others if they escaped seems like a very reasonable number to me. Each should have been shooting to stop the threat and could easily fire 5 rounds in a second or 2 before recognizing that the threat was stopped. Would be hard to judge if they were responsibly aimed shots. Even if they were there is a good chance they could have deflected off of the car and ended up in a lot of different places.

3 Likes

When adrenaline dumps, the heart rate goes way up, complex motor skills decline, auditory exclusion and tunnel vision take over. Cognitive ability is severely impaired, all of which contribute to real degradation in skills including marksmanship and rational thought. Can this be overcome? Yes through the right training under stress, pressure testing. Do the majority of police get this training? A taste at the academy and during specialty schools and in service training, maybe. Tier One military and SWAT operators get more of it and learn to use the adrenaline. Most do not. Cerebral knowledge doesn’t manifest itself when the limbic brain is yelling fight or flight. When that first round is fired, there can tend to be a sympathetic reaction by colleagues to start slinging led. It is the nature of the beast. And so it goes…

3 Likes

“Fleeing” is a bad word in the self defense. I wouldn’t want to be the defendant.

2 Likes

I believe in this case after hitting one officer and just missing the next they call it felony fleeing. If one of the officers were hit or it was proven they attempted to hit an officer to escape I am pretty sure felony fleeing applies.

4 Likes

A 1911 + 2x Magazines =14 rounds.
Sounds good to me! :+1:

3 Likes

A 1911 + 2 mags = 16 + 1 rounds.
Sounds good to me to! :+1:

1 Like

1911, 2X10 round mags = 20. I don’t +1. :grinning:

2 Likes