LEO charged with murder for stopping active shooter

Well, this is a seriously sad turn of affairs, and doesn’t bode well for anyone in the future.

2 Likes

IIRC this was the case where the officer was shooting through his windshield while both vehicles were in motion and there were an awful lot of rifle rounds flying around unaccounted for… wildly reckless shooting by the officer. I’m surprised they are charging him with murder. Reckless Endangerment and violating police policy seemed much more likely.

1 Like

I was talking about the murder charges. Regardless of the rest, him being charged with murder sets a dangerous precedent.

1 Like

And what was exact reason for murder charge? :face_with_raised_eyebrow::thinking:

1 Like

Something about 60 rounds from his patrol rifle. It’s my understanding the officer had to shoot through the side and/or windshield of the ladies pickup. With that and her shooting at them (at some point, they don’t give a very good timeline of how it went down) I would dare say why does the number of rounds fired even matter?

Murder charges should never have even been considered.

2 Likes

I am astounded that the grand jury chose to return a bill of indictment for that particular charge. As @Zee says, there are plenty of other actions taken by this officer which are deserving of scrutiny, but shooting the perpetrator is not one of them. All kinds of reckless/careless/wanton charges may be sustainable against this officer, so why did they focus on this one? Make me wonder about the motives of the prosecutor who presented the case.

3 Likes

Perhaps they found all 60 round in shooter’s body? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Oh boy… I would never understand US Justice system… :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

This almost sounds like an anti police prosecutor. Something has to be on the report that brought about the indictment. Now if one of his rounds hit an innocent bystander, I could see this happening.

1 Like

That would be excellent marksmanship under stress then. In all seriousness, this lady was doing far more to justify getting shot by LEOs than many, many others who were ruled justified. Even Internal Affairs (the police who investigate use of force by police) decided the officer was justified in shooting the woman.

This is all politics, and it’s a dangerous precedent.

2 Likes

I heard this long time ago: “Politic is a bit**”… and that was true.
I’m upset (don’t want, even I should to use stronger word) because innocent people have to pay the price for someone’s political tendencies :rage:

1 Like

So are the other officers involved, the ones that opened fire, the ones that pursued in the chase being charged as accessories to this murder? Seems like they should be.

If we’re talking just recklessness, ok fine…lets examine exactly what was reckless about his actions…firing through the windshield of a suspect that’s actively fleeing police after already firing upon several individuals? What exactly was reckless about that? 60 bullets excessive? Maybe but at what point was the threat stopped? Bullet #5 or Bullet #55?

There’s a lot the grand jury was told that I’m sure is not being told in this story in order to come to that indictment (at least I hope so), so I’ll reserve my final opinion for all the facts to be reported, but with just the info from the news story…I’m looking at this with a crooked eye towards the prosecutor. :thinking:

1 Like

I would be interested in knowing if the prosecutor in this case is a George Sorros paid for prosecutor. Sorros is corrupting Justice around the nation by funding the campaigns of uber leftist types.

3 Likes

Does not sound good. I wonder if there is more to this story than what has been released.

1 Like

Perhaps the JURY will consider ALL the facts.

2 Likes

Even if this officer is cleared of murder charge, the next one will be seriously intimidated from decisive action against a threat in the future. They should all consider what happened in Parkland school massacre, and police conduct then. SRO didn’t want to enter the building, another officer took 2 minutes to put his vest on, then drove on highway in the opposite direction, etc. This is the kind of PD they are going to have.

3 Likes

Murder requires malice aforethought. The D.A
apparently has a problem. As the saying goes a decent D.A. could get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich. This LT. will skate criminally. Civil could get dicey. 60 rounds is certainly “unique.” Two 30 round mags. Let’s be charitable and say the LT. was really “into it.” You know he fired wild “to whom it may concern” rounds during the pursuit. He didn’t hit the car everytime. I can guarantee you one thing. He wishes now he had stayed in the station and let patrol (the Real Police) deal with it.

2 Likes

If a Grand Jury found DA argument convincing, so will trial jury. His hope is with defense lawyers.
For some reason I keep thinking about the soldiers pardoned by Trump recently, they got convicted, with exception of 1 I think.

1 Like

In a Grand Jury there is no defense evidence. They see and hear what the D.A. wants them to see and hear. There is no examination of witnesses and “facts” by the defense. That’s why it is so easy to get an indictment. The standard for an indictment is low.

2 Likes

He needs to appeal if he is charged

1 Like

Yea, this is how I understood the indictment works. Still, to apply legal term “murder in the 2nd” to someone who was killed by cops while shooting people en masse… The standard must be low indeed.

1 Like