I'm planning on obtaining a Pennsylvania CCW, I live in Delaware

I am now having to travel into Philadelphia regularly and want to be able to carry concealed. I understand obtaining a concealed permit since I have mine in Delaware is not an issue. I am not familiar with the process and also understand there are locations that will expedite the process so I can obtain the permit within one visit.

Can anyone validate this/provide clarity?

Thank You!

-Kit

4 Likes

I live in MD, but about 3 miles from the PA line. I have my MD CCW, which took over 90 days to receive. Since I am in PA a lot, I applied for PA CCW online and picked this up the next day. Should be that easy for you since you have your states CCW.

4 Likes

Welcome to the family @Kit and you are blessed to be here.

2 Likes

Any time you can get a permit to carry from another state that is a good thing. I am eventually going to take the Utah CCW class which is offered here.

2 Likes

Good morning Johnnyq60, thank you for the greeting, and yes I am Blessed and this organization is great. Since becoming a member over a year ago I have taken online classes and found the instructor whom provided the CCW class I attended. Great Resources, Solid, reliable information!

-Kit

4 Likes

RavensFan, I’m looking for an official website for PA CCW but have not found it. Did you happen to bookmark the page when you completed your online application?

Thanks for the information it helps!
-Kit

3 Likes

I went to a local website (York County), which is above me in MD. Could have used Adams County. Perhaps you can check here

3 Likes

Gotcha, I saw this page, but thought there was an online portal. Thanks Again.
-Kit

3 Likes

From the application it looks like they have stopped processing out-of-state applications as of Dec. 7th, 2020.

I tried calling the Philly Police department for Gun Permits but their lines are busy and you just get dropped when attempting to talk to someone.

So now, I am hoping to find an office that will either take my call, process an application or confirm they are not processing out of state CCW License holders.

Thanks

-Kit

4 Likes

Kit, trying other offices that are able to help is a great idea. You can also try contacting the Philadelphia County Sheriff to see if they are able to help offer more guidance on this.

Because you are a Non-Resident of Pennsylvania, it does not specify the law enforcement agency that you need to apply through.

If you are close enough, another option would be to print off and fill out the application and then take it to a county sheriff or law enforcement agency with your driver’s license or state ID, and current Deleware permit.

3 Likes

Thank you Tim, I have found York County will accept my application, a bit further so I’ll have to make it more of a day trip. Contacting the Philadelphia County Sheriff’s office is a great idea.

I did just hear from a friend that said the place to go is “Media PA” Sheriff’s Office. It was too late for me to contact them, I’ll follow up tomorrow with confirming information for those in Delaware looking for their PA CCW.

Thank You

-Kit

5 Likes

@Kit Welcome to the community. :us: :us: :us:

2 Likes

Be careful of scammers, websites which might offer something too good to be true. Maybe it’s because where I’m from it’s been taking 6-9 months for a Permit. Proceed with caution, “Trust but Verify”.

The link to the state of PA which dear RavensFan posted was the same one I found, sounds like the correct place to start.

If you can’t obtain a PA CCL Permit as soon as you like, maybe investigate if you were to obtain a non resident Permit from another certain state, if PA would honor that other state’s Permit but as a non other state resident? Such as FL, AZ, or UT. Good luck partner.
:innocent:

2 Likes

That’s great to hear, and road trips can always be fun! :smiley:

I hope it works out and yes, please be sure to update us on how things went, so others have a road map to follow!

2 Likes

Okay, for right now York County Sheriff’s Office is the only office accepting out of state applications for CCW.

Just talked with the Media , PA Sheriff’s Office and they do not.

If/when i have more info I’ll update this thread.

-Kit

3 Likes

For those interested in obtaining their CCW for PA. I found the Sheriff’s office in York PA has an open application process that can be used if you currently have your CCW. The application did not state if they will only accept certain out of state licenses. I do know they allow for Delaware and Maryland residents to apply. Cost is $25, you will have to provide at least 2 references. I used 4 of the references from my original Delaware application. They will ask you to upload an image(s) of your drivers license front and back and the same for your CCW permit card.

Here is the link for those interested:
https://yorkcountypa.gov/courts-criminal-justice/court-courtrelated-offices/sherifs-office/concealed-weapons-permits/licenses-to-carry-firearms.html

-Kit

4 Likes

In less than 24hr I received a status email letting me know I have been approved for my PA CCW. This office is very well organized with the details and how to arrange to physically get the permit.

Very impressed with the speed of approval and the over all process.

The only draw back is the distance to travel.

Hope this information will be helpful to others.

-Kit

4 Likes

All wrapped up. I visited York PA, Sheriff’s office at 8am this morning. I was the only visitor, made my way through the scanning area very quickly and in less than 10 minutes I was walking out with my “Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms” permit. I was a bit confused at first; there is no mention of “concealed carry” on the permit card. If you look up the PA guidelines though it clearly states the “Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms” permit allows a legal holder of this permit the ability to carry concealed.

The staff at the York PA Sheriff’s office 2401 Pleasant Valley Road were very friendly and helpful.

If you are looking to obtain your Concealed Carry for PA, I highly recommend the York PA Sheriff’s office. You can find the link above in this thread to file your application.

Blessing!

-Kit

2 Likes

@Kit
I just completed my online application and they sent me the confirmation email and text. Just paid a $25 app fee. Hopefully they approve me. Will let you know. It will be worth the trip to PA from VA if I get approved. Me and my wife will make a weekend trip down. I believe this permit will give me some states that VA doesn’t.

3 Likes

From looking at the maps it does not really. You lose about 4 states and better only 2 with the PA permit and is honored in 32 states. VA is honored by 35 states.

1 Like