Illinois gun law changes January 1st 2022

There shall be NUMEROUS changes to the gun laws in Illinois on January 1st 2022 and beyond. I do my best to detail all of those changes into this one document.

10 Likes

Good info. Thx.

:+1:

4 Likes

Thanks! I have subscribed to the news letter and will follow on YouTube. Have Bookmarked your pages!

My FOID expires 03/2022 and I received an Email and Snail mail from ISP invitation to renew on line for $11 with the service fee (done). My CCL is good to the end of 2023, so we’ll see what happens.

Thanks again!!!

4 Likes

It’s going to be interesting going forward. I predict a cluster of “oops I forgot to renew!” because of the lack of expiration dates shown.

I also predict that the number of ammunition dealers willing to sell to Illinois will continue to shrink as some dealers simply won’t want to deal with the headache of checking.

I further predict that the thousands of ammunition sales taking place daily, and that’s probably a low estimate, shall crash the system from time to time. And the cynic in me predicts that the system may also intentionally be crashed by the government at certain critical times. (riots, unrest, natural disaster)

2 Likes

While I don’t live in IL and my CCL does have the expiration date on it, I still put the expiration date on my phone calendar with a 2 month prior to expiration, reminder. Is the lack of an expiration date due to not issuing a new physical card at renewal?

2 Likes

1 Like

LOL. Reason I ask is that my cynical side would not trust the state to send an expiration notice and would tend to think that it’s so that the state can revoke it when holders forget to renew. My trust of governments is currently at an all time low and cynicism at all time high.

2 Likes

Just wondering how this works out. When buying ammo seller calls to see if buyers card is in good standing, does anyone else wonder if they’re going to keep records, name, ammo type, how many boxes, where purchased.

3 Likes

I have no doubt they have nefarious purposes! I buy some ammo on line and the vendor, many states away, has my FOID card on file.

Now are they gonna’ make the call or just quit selling in Illinois?

1 Like

If you buy ammo from the store - they will get access to check and validate your FOID.
The problem starts for private sells. Are they gonna have access to your files? Hopefully not, I wouldn’t like it. This shouldn’t be available for anyone.
Will they stop selling to IL residents? There are already dozen stores doing this. Whoever doesn’t ship to IL, he will continue doing this.

I see one good direction with it.
ISP made a good move to to not reprint millions of cards. But what that card means without expiration? It will be just another ID. If the seller will be forced to validate your FOID every time you use it, somebody eventually finds out we don’t need FOID. I’m hoping, one day, we will not need CCW as well. :thinking: :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I’ve trained thousands of students over the last 8 years. I ask in every class, how many people receive renewal notices for their FOId cards. Out of the thousands, only 7 have ever received renewal notices. It is incumbent upon the licensee to remember or SOL. The state is supposed to send notices 60 days before expiration, but that appears to happen less than 1% of the time.

3 Likes

It will be done on a web-based system. The seller will receive approval showing the card is active. This is the same process for a current person-to-person transfer. The web-based system will not ask about quantities, caliber, etc… If you’re worried, buy your ammo by the case. The state won’t know if you bought a box or a pallet.

3 Likes

Not an issue here in Wisconsin just a curiosity to me so thanks for explaining it.

2 Likes

I wish Illinois would get their hands out of everyone pockets and do the right thing and do away with that unconstitutional FOID card and let honest Americans have their constitutional/ God given rights to protect self and family without having to pay out the nose.

2 Likes

Unfortunately Illinois only exists to reach into the pockets of its residents and fill the through of the politicians. The state is controlled by the demorat machine controlled by three counties. Cook, Champaign, and another near the Shawnee National Forest.
ff

2 Likes