In an article posted yesterday, ISP Director, Kelly was quoted “FOID card helps keep guns out of the wrong hands.”
Hmmm…in my #45 ranked 2a friendly state, it seems that every “gun crime” in the state is committed by someone not permitted to have a gun…imagine that…
Well he put his foot in his mouth there, I believe back in 2019 when a disgruntled employee at a Aurora, Illinois business opened fire at his workplace. The ISP never revoked his FOID for a prior incident or confiscate his guns, could have been prevented…
Wow. I feel sorry for folks living in that state. Typical of some politicians, blame the citizens, not the criminals.
This link will bring you to the full disclosure of ISRA position on the new law.
FOID Modernization Act (HB 562, SA 1&2)
Items ISRA supports:
• FOID cards are automatically renewed through the valid period of a CCL
• FOID and CCL renewal dates are synchronized
• A single combined FOID and CCL card will replace the current two card requirement by consolidating the
FOID and CCL into a single card
• Further streamlines, simplifies and modernizes the FOID/CCL process by authorizing the Illinois State
Police to create an electronic version of the FOID/CCL card in lieu of a paper card and to replace paper
communications with email or text. FFLs and ammo sellers will be able to accept the electronic card as a
• Improves due process for FOID and CCL card system by establishing professional appeals board and
simpler methods for FOID/CCL reinstatement when appropriate
o Adds a public defender to the review board. (Rep Tarver request)
o The board shall issue summary decisions within 45 days (Rep. Tarver Request)
o Board limited to only two 30-day extensions to issue a decision to the applicant.
(Rep. Tarver Request)
• Allows FOID and CCL holders to apply for renewal six months before expiration date and requires ISP to
send notice of expiration six months before
• Opportunity provided for FOID card holders to be continuously renewed in lieu of the current ten-year
• Change of address requirement eliminated; ISP will rely on SOS data for address
• No longer have expiration dates on the FOID card
• Allowed to Carry (CCL) while hunting
• No increase in the FOID card Fee
• Renewal notices through email or text messages
Items where ISRA is neutral:
• Law Enforcement prohibited persons portal codified
• Mandatory firearms enforcement task force lead by Illinois State Police
• Provides new funding designated specifically for firearms enforcement for state and local police
• Updates intergovernmental drug enforcement statutes to allow for regional law enforcement task forces
to investigate co-occurring gun trafficking and drug trafficking
• Requires timely “fusion” of gun trafficking data and ballistic evidence including through use of NIBIN and
forensic systems across law enforcement
• Requires Illinois State Police to establish a public database of all firearms that have been reported stolen
to be checked prior to the transfer of any firearm to prevent the inadvertent transfer of stolen firearms
o ISRA NOTE: This can be advantageous to help FFLs to avoid illegal gun purchases.
• Mandates and codifies into state law the duty of the Illinois State Police to continuously monitor state and
federal databases for firearms prohibiting records, to correlate those records with FOID card holders, and
to revoke the FOID cards of any prohibited persons identified in those continuously monitored databases
• Requires State of Illinois to apply for federal NCHIP and NARIP funds to help courts, corrections, hospitals,
and other reporter’s close gaps in firearms prohibiting state records reporting systems
• Strengthens and clarifies definition of protective orders, including firearms restraining orders
o ISRA NOTE: This is not new law but a codification of existing practice.
• Expands and enhances gun trafficking data reporting requirements under the Gun Trafficking Act and
o ISRA NOTE: ISRA added language to help track times when a person filed a Firearms Restraining
order and the request was rejected or a person filed a false Firearm Restraining order and that
person was prosecuted for perjury.
Items where ISRA has concerns:
• Voluntary Fingerprinting for a benefit (Currently done for CCL licenses)
o Incentivizes improvements to the identification of prohibiting records by expanding voluntary
submission of fingerprints by simplifying FOID card renewal in sync with the FTIP process.
o Incentivizes additional use of fingerprints by allowing the Illinois State Police to develop
procedures for the voluntary use of pre-existing fingerprint data submitted through other state
background check systems
o The incentive is automatic FOID renewal anytime you are before the FTIP system.
o ISRA NOTE: While we do not like to see a discussion about being fingerprinted for a
constitutional right, we believe we should not get in the way of law-abiding gun owners
voluntarily making this decision for a benefit similar to expedited CCLs with the submission of
• Enhances Private Firearm Transfer Requirements:
o Allows for person-to-person transfers to be subject to NICS at an FFL dealer or;
o Allows for person-to-person transfers using the ISP person-to-person FOID verification system
Buyer shall provide a record of the transfer to an FFL within 10 days of sale
• (Does not take effect until January 1, 2024)
• Buyer does not have to keep a record of the transfer
• No penalty for failure to send transfer record to an FFL
• Buyer must, upon demand of a peace officer, identify the FFL where the
transfer is maintained
Seller has to maintain the record of the transfer per existing law for 10 years
FFL may charge a fee if they accept the transfer record of no more than $25
o ISRA NOTE: ISRA added language that would allow for supervision and expungement for the
misdemeanor offence if a person failed to identify where the transfer records were maintained
by an FFL.
• Mental Health Funding (GPAC last minute request)
o Surplus funds used for random community based mental health programs and random grants to
promote the National School Mental Health Curriculum model.
o ISRA NOTE: Previous versions had surplus funds going to the Safe Schools and Healthy Learning
Environment Grant Program. This program has been vetted by mental health professionals and
is an initiative of Speaker Welch.
Thanks for the info @George98.
Also, Happy Anniversary!
@George98 I could be mistaken but it looks like it’s you uscca anniversary. Have a good one and happy anniversary
@AL34 Thank you sir! I noticed the slice of cake earlier.
I’m glad you guys and gals let me hang around!
@Adam34 Thank you sir! I noticed the slice of cake earlier.
I’m glad you guys and gals let me hang around
Too bad there aren’t enough freedom loving citizens in IL to vote these clowns out of office. How the mayor of Chicago keeps getting re-elected truly baffles me.