Illinois Concealed Carry License Taking Questionably Long Time

So I took a class back in July I think it was for my concealed carry license and I applied on august 3rd of this year. I was lead to believe that an answer was mandated to be given within 90 days of applying wether you are approved or not. I have not gotten any other notification and check the website. I am a little concerned they have forgotten about me despite having tried contacting them by email. Is this an actionable concern? Is it even legal to the letter of Illinois law? (I know some of you out there feel all licensing for carry is illegal but I am asking within what is written and currently on the books) HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS ISSUE TOO? now a little over 100 days from applying and fingerprints were submitted. I heard about a lawsuit too but thats been taking forever right?

3 Likes

Move to a gun friendly state.

8 Likes

Just be patient…
This has been discussed already.
90 days IF you applied with fingerprints, 120 otherwise.
However you will never get any answers from ISP within that period.
There’s less money put into CCL this year that means longer processing time…
I would add extra 4 - 6 weeks to your official waiting time.

1 Like

Can’t right now.

So you think another what like 35 days? Isn’t it like violating whatever law it was to take longer than that? Even with this pandemic they should have hired and trained more people for analysis. You would think enough people are looking for jobs they could do that. Its definitely a funding issue too. I hope they got the prints because it was very expensive to do that for them.

If you applied with fingerprints, you should be good with CCL within 90 + 45 days.
I wouldn’t expect anything earlier.

It may violate all the rules and Laws… but…yeah…in my case I wouldn’t have any time to do anything. Just be patient…

2 Likes

Everyone in Illinois and various other states are having this problem. Specific to Illinois the State Government raided the State Troopers FOID and CCL fund for budgetary reasons, then Covid hit, and the largest in year over year 1st time gun purchases and Illinois system is basically broken. There’s a thread by @Robert8 about it. It’s basically a way to do gun confiscation without any messy little laws getting in the way.

4 Likes

Okay thanks for a guesstimate at least 10x better communication than the ISPD . I think I will give it to Feb of next year before I raise a stink which should be more than enough time to catch up IMO.

I received mine just last month. Took about 135 days from payment to issue. No fingerprints given so over the 120 days, but what can you expect from the State of Illinois.

4 Likes

Congrats @Kurt22.
135 without fingerprints is a great score ! Not so bad for 2020.

1 Like

I am hearing ( from my instructor) 7months for FOID and 7 months for CCL . Priority is being given to initial applicants, then renewals.

2 Likes

There is no pattern. I’ve spoken with my classmate at the range today and he has received his FOID in October, three months after application.

1 Like

@Andrew79 I am having the same problem, I applied for my Illinois CCL January 14, 2020 and my FOID renewal on 1 Feb 2020 and have received no word from them. They won’t answer phone calls nor emails but they sure took our money. I have been checking around for lawsuits against the State Police and have been asking to be added to any I find but no luck yet.

2 Likes

Here’s something of interest:

https://www.isra.org/News/isra-files-injunction-to-compel-illinois-state-police-to-issue-foid-cards-within-30-days

1 Like

Mine was issued on day 151 with no fingerprints. I’m on day 6 of waiting for it to arrive. I called a couple times after day 120 but never got through to a live person. Considering 120 days is the norm, since we are in a time of emergency with Covid, I don’t mind the extra month.

On the other hand, I applied for a Florida non-resident license in late September and have had it in hand for a couple weeks. Illinois’ normal wait time is unreasonable.

1 Like

:man_shrugging:

nobody to answer the phone… nobody to print CC plastic…

A 2020-12-29 20-12-34

1 Like

I’ve been waiting on my CCL since 1/14/2020 and my FOID renewal since 2/1/2020 without fingerprints. I’ve emailed them and they just ignore my emails, don’t even get an acknowledgement that they received it.

That’s way too long. Have you used the isp firearms website to check your status? I’d be glad to post the link.

Ask your Congressman to call them on your behalf?

1 Like

Yes, I check it daily and sometimes twice a day.

1 Like