CC IL question

Hello

I am a new member to USCCA and I am loving everything I am seeing here. I have my CC class in November and I am trying to get as much information a head of time so I am better prepared. Anyone here in IL who have gone through the CC class care to share some info? Is it difficult, boring, easy, etc?

1 Like

You might want to start with https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/il-gun-laws/. All CC classes cover state laws, to a certain extent. Many also cover how to act, how to notify police you are carrying and when or if you must do so.

2 Likes

In Calif, if you actually know how to use your weapon, and can hit a target at 30’, you’ll walk right through it.

Don’t feel pressure. Many feel like it’s a stress test, but know that it is not intended to be, and shouldn’t be. Just breathe and shoot. It’s not timed. Half the class is laws and dry fire. You only shoot about 18 rounds at the end.

1 Like

I took my CCW class with USCCA in the NW suburbs (IL). The first day was all class work. IIRC, there was a laser pistol and holster to practice draw and trigger pull, as well as some other non-firing training tools. Some of it was instructor lecture and some was a video presentation.

The second day was a combination of class and range (different location), and we had the opportunity to apply right there and get our fingerprints into the system (cost extra). It’s a good idea to have some sort of lock box in your car the second day, as you cannot bring the firearm inside the classroom after the range session.

The range session is 30 rounds, 10 at 5, 10, and 15 yards IIRC. I did a practice session a few days before with the firearm I wanted to qualify with and used the target they test with. It’s pretty huge, along with the hit box allowed. The range should know which target they use.

Make sure you have a valid/current FOID card. I brought a bagged lunch, water, pop, and snacks. and took notes on a legal pad. They also had books with the info available on site (also cost extra but not required). Pay attention to what they teach, as some of the specific details are on the test, as well as a pretty comprehensive overview of the laws in your area. The instructor and staff were very nice (at least at the class I took).

2 Likes

thank you this is very useful information. I have done some practicing with the B27 target which is the one used. I am trying to gather as much knowledge as I can before the class so I feel prepared

2 Likes

If you know who’s teaching your class, @Juan13, you can reach out to them directly and ask questions. I’ve had a number of students call and ask questions before the class.

Love that you want to be prepared! There’s a lot to learn, but it’s all for your physical and legal protection so taking a class is definitely helpful!

Please let us know how it goes!

3 Likes

@Juan13, I’m glad you have decided to take CC classes.
Fortunately for students, CC class doesn’t require ANYTHING but FOID :zipper_mouth_face:.
But, being RESPONSIBLE person try to shoot as much as you can before the class.
You will have 16 hr of class, so it might be a little boring, but everything depends on the Teacher.
There is level “0” of difficulty if you are willing to gain the knowledge.
I recommend to have basic knowledge of firearm (safety rules, nomenclature, how handgun works) and basic shooting skills (stance, recoil management, sight alignment, sight picture) - so you can feel comfortable at the class and focus on legal stuff which is more important during CC class.
Once you feel comfortable you find it super easy. Take the notes about legal stuff (you don’t need to remember it, you have to know this exists and how to find the Law’s “§” later).
To pass CC class you will need to score 21 of 30 shooting B27 target: 10 shots at 5 yards, 10 shots at 7 yards, 10 shots at 10 yards. (1 point per 1 hit in numbered area, anything between 7 and center x)

Good luck !
:+1:

3 Likes

thanks. Yes I am shooting more and getting to know my gun. I went to the range and pushed the target to 40 feet and I was still able to be in the hit zone so I was pretty happy there. I have to work more on my grouping which I will.

1 Like

Don’t worry about grouping shots for CC class. More spread - better result from self-defensive perspective.Just be sure you are inside zone 7.

1 Like

yeah they were all within the 7 zone

1 Like

The class isn’t hard. It’s basic handgun safety, and operation. 4 hours or so of Illinois CCL law, and then the range. The shooting requirements are 10 rounds each at 5, 7, and 10 yards. The Target is a standard FBI silhouette target. Hit 70 percent in the scoring zone, and you pass. Then pay Illinois their 153.00 extortion money.

3 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

@Juan13, check fingerprints requirements. I don’t know how does it work now, but in 2019 I spent extra $60 for fingerprints taken during CC class and got my CCL 5 weeks faster than students without fingerprints.

1 Like

yeah the class I signed up includes fingerprints and application sign up. still have to pay the $150

1 Like

When I got mine in 2016, I didn’t do fingerprints. I got my license in 86 days IIR. Right now, the ISP is way backlogged(sure they are🙄) so FOID cards and CCL’s are taking a long time. I’ve heard of people having waited 6 months or more.

4 Likes

I have been through the IL class, I didn’t find it boring. I give a lot of credit to my instructor, who is LEO, for keeping the class interesting and asking and answering questions in the class. If you are new to handguns, you will want to make sure you are familiar with your gun before you go to class. The IL CC shooting requirements are posted online so you can “shoot the test” before you are in class.

Last week the ISRA filed a lawsuit against the the IL SP to address the delays in FOID cards. Sounds like a lot of people are having issues getting a FFL to do a transfer when they only have the expired FOID card. The delay is being used as a way to ban gun sales.

1 Like