How old is your carry firearm?

New guns models come out nearly as often as new smartphone models but I never hear about the lines to get the latest Glock/Ruger/Sig/Beretta.

How old is your carry gun?

• <1 year old
  • 1-2 years old
  • 2-5 years old
  • 5+ years old

0 voters

Why would you change your carry gun?

1 Like

Why would I change my carry gun?
Any sudden change in ability of the weapon to faithfully and reliably perform it’s mission. (Until it returns from the Master At Arms with new springs, extractor, firing pin, sear, or barrel - if the weapon is not simply just “shot out.” ((which is darn rare))

Now, this doesn’t account for the idea that different sidearms bring different performance characteristics to expected differences in ballistic requirements. A 45acp has one profile, a 40 S&W might be close but still different enough to better serve the moment, where a 9, 357 SIG, or 10mm would address other requirements.

7 Likes

I marked <1 year, because the G30 is new, but the other ones I have are >20… had to pick one though.

I changed it because I wanted a smaller, more concealable .45 :smiley:
Ok… the G30 is not that small, but it’s smaller.

3 Likes

Usually I change my carry gun (what I refer to as a “platform”) when I change what I compete with. Not always, but usually. When I switched to a Glock 34 a few years ago, the platform was new, so I needed a new gun. I have other carry guns that are anywhere from 10 to 25 years old.

I am thinking about switching to a CZ or Beretta next year, so may get a new carry gun or use one I already have for that. New gun “just because”. :smiley:

1 Like

Why all the Glocks that’s all anyone talks about or seems to carry I am a Sig guy and will put them up against any Glock. Just Sayin lol

3 Likes

I picked up a CZ 75 D PCR recently. Haven’t shot it much yet but so far not disappointed.

2 Likes

Like CHRIS4, only if reliability issues started to arise or if I damaged it some how beyond reasonable repair.

1 Like

I’ve been carrying mostly glock19 or 26. No problem concealing but wanted something just a little easier to conceal in the summer time. I was intrigued by the Sig P365 but didn’t like the small grip. When the P365XL came out I shot it, then bought it. This is my current carry gun and it’s working out very well so far.

2 Likes

@Tony4 we do love our Glocks :smiley:
You’ll find some sig folks here too @Dawn @Nathan …
… and some of them are buying Glocks too… :scream::thinking: @Dawn @Nathan :+1::+1::joy::rofl:

5 Likes

@Zee and some of us Glock people are buying Sigs!!! My first Sig is the P320. Dont use it for EDC yet but I do like the way it shoots. I do carry a Glock for my EDC, but who knows??

4 Likes

3 reasons.

1. My current weapon suffers damage or a loss of accuracy or reliability.
  2. If I suffer damage making my current weapon uncomfortable/unusable in my new condition.
  3. If I acquire a new weapons which serves as a better EDC, either through fit or function.

The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.

2 Likes

< 1 year…
I want to pass my EDC to my son. He likes it (and I know he has other expenses now). I’m not sure what would be my new carry gun… maybe SIG or M&P? I’m still in love with EDC-x9… but cannot afford it now :pensive:

2 Likes

30+ years. Trust, dependability, demonstrated performance.

Haven’t found anything worthy to replace it with.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

I’m not likely to change unless what I have now fails at some point and even then I’d likely just upgrade to a newer version of the same XD/XDM.

1 Like

Depending on the day and my activities, I carry a CaNik TP9SA, a 1911 or my SP101, oh and I have a Glock 42.

1 Like

3+ years. I’ve carried the same pistol 359 days a year. The other 6 days are deer season, and I switch too my hunting revolver. As long as my 45 doesn’t give me any reason, it will always be part of my carry rotation. I will, in the near future, add a single stack for when I’m dressed nice.

4 Likes

My G26 will be my carry gun for the foreseeable future unless it fails.

2 Likes

Yep, I have a sig too :smiley: :laughing: I carry the Glocks but I have a sig 22 for teaching.

2 Likes

1 1/2 months. And I just purchased a Beretta 92x Centurion that could end up being an alternate.

3 Likes

@Tony4

I’d do the same with my M&P 2.0!

1 Like