The Next Gun After the First One | Beth Alcazar | USCCA

It could be because it’s my birthday in just a few days or maybe it’s because I haven’t personally purchased a firearm in a while (define that as you will), but I thought it would be fun to discuss what to do now that you’ve bought a gun. Well, in my opinion, you might as well be thinking about what your NEXT gun will be!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/the-next-gun-after-the-first-one/
1 Like

This is not a good question for me as the number of guns I have surpassed the “need” a long time ago. That said, I would like to get into some experiences I had with some people new to guns and new to carry that really apply.

First, I had a plant manager who jumped in to carrying with both feet. Got himself a Glock 23 and loved it. Loved to shoot it, but its a small gun. From getting more into shooting, I eventually convinced him that he needed a Glock 19 also. Why? Because his only gun was his carry gun. Now he has a gun that is very similar but is more comfortable to shoot for long periods of time when he goes out shooting with those of us who can shoot for hours on end. He ended up using that also for defense, it is just in his office at home in case he is too far from his EDC in his bedroom in his house.

Another friend that I got into shooting started out with a S&W SV40. Good starter gun for him, large enough to shoot for extended range sessions. However, he struggles a bit with his marksmanship. He also acquired a compact Ruger 9mm for easier carry, but also, not the easiest to shoot. So, what to do? Simple. Took him to the range and he spent some time behind one of my Ruger Mk IV’s, good trigger, easy to shoot, got him shooting well and the time behind the .22 really helped build confidence and fundamentals. So, what did he do? On the way home from my gun club, we stopped at a gun shop and he bought a good .22.

We are all in different places, and different priorities. These are just some examples from my life.

2 Likes

Actually it is a very good question. The manufacturers have gond beyond a specific model by improving existing models. At one point I would never have considered a Glock 19, however They are on Gen 5 and have made significant improvements. Same with Springfield and their XD Series. My next I may consider a Glock 19, or the Saint Evac. Just on weirdness alone I like the backpack version of the Glocks, maybe a future collectable? If I run across a deal on a Kimber 1911 compact in 9mm or 45, that is in the running too. Ruger has their 5.7, which appears pretty awesome (I have yet to see a Ruger that is Junk. For affordability I like the Carbine version of the PMR 30 (The pistol is very reliable!) Too many choices!

My purchase history is pretty well in line with the article. I look at what I have, notice what I don’t have, and start a mental wish list. Do I need all these firearms? No, but each one I own is better than all the others in specific situation.

Also time. Over my career, I might have bought the best firearm I could afford at one point, but now I’ve finally saved enough to buy something that was previously out of my price range. I have a hard time parting with old firearms, though, even if I don’t use them anymore.

So, I don’t know if this is going to rub some folks the wrong way, but I wonder honestly if many of us own too many guns. Not because of any other reason other than this, that perhaps we don’t train enough on the guns that we have. What would it be like if we chose one for carry, one for home, and became masters at those weapons? Would that not serve us so, so, so much better? Again, this is not about me saying we own too many. This is about me asking if we’re making the most of the weapons we actually own.

3 Likes

I get what you’re saying. It’s like hopping into a different make automobile, things just aren’t in the same place and you get distracted trying to find the turn signal instead of watching the road.

Same thing with firearms.

I’d wager that few of us switch up our carry pistol on a regular basis, though. I have one pistol that I carry every day, some that I could carry but usually don’t, and some rifles that I can’t conceal. Plus the stuff I lost in a boating accident.

That’s interesting, I hadn’t considered that. Could you walk me through the potential merits of changing up your daily carry?

I can’t, because I don’t. :grin:

This has been a question I have been toying with. I started out by placing an order for a glock 17 for home defense, before owning a gun I had already joined USCCA. I then realized I wanted an EDC and instead of paying off my glock I purchased a S&W 2.0 compact 3.6in. I am still paying on my glock but I am already thinking of my next gun. I love training with my compact and do dry fire practice daily and once or twice a week at the range. I am disabled so I have a very limited income. With the ammo shortage though I have been wondering if I should have chosen something other than 9mm to learn with.

I am a sponge when it comes to learning, I have read multiple books including the concealed carry home defense, the concealed carry bible, and others. I have watched every proving grounds I can find, I am currently on season 6 of the weekly training, and have finished Armed and ready. I have been waiting for the training to start back up in my area but it’s going slow at this point, but I have been in contact with two local instructors. I watch every training video I can find and include the drills in my self training.

All that said, I am thinking about eventually trying to become a trainer(not with my limited experience at this point) and thinking I would like to maybe tryout a competition eventually and would like a gun that would allow me to compete at a decent level. I train as much as possible and research when I am not training, so even if the gun had a quirk to it, I would train to incorporate it. I would like any suggestions you guys may have to offer for me to check out and I will gladly do so. Keep in mind I only became a gun owner 2 months ago and I am 47 yrs old.

1 Like

I’ve had similar thoughts. I’d like to get all the training required to become a trainer, but just for my own benefit. I wouldn’t trust any organization that would certify me as a trainer.

Sure, switching up guns to the dress or potential threat. Take for instance you dress differently due to weather, so your outfit might make your normal EDC harder to conceal, or make it easier to conceal a firearm you like better. Also, the situation. For instance, a person’s normal EDC might be a pocket .380. Nothing wrong with it, its a solid EDC choice. But you might live in a more urban area and in the current situation, your risk of encountering a group of rioters increase, so you carry a higher capacity 9mm due to the potential risk that has increased. Also, travel might dictate. For instance, if I travel out west on vacation with my family, I typically trade my normal 1911 Valkyrie for a 10mm Valor. Both similar handguns, but where I am at and what I am doing, I am in a situation where I might also encounter 4 legged threats such as bears and want something with a little different ballistics to protect myself and my family against all threats without bringing multiple firearms for different situations.

That is a great question - not negative at all! I would agree that we can all use more training (there’s never too much good training!). If you carry different firearms dependent on the clothes you wear (summer/winter clothes are very different in WI), I would still suggest carrying in the same position.

Training for the different nuances of each firearm is important - especially if one has a safety and other carry doesn’t.

Do we need to train frequently with every gun we have? Maybe. But we should definitely train frequently with every carry gun we have.

Great, great point, @Revjoshv! Welcome to the Community!

1 Like

I carried a Glock 46 for years. it was my EDC but it was heavy & being a double stack, it was bulky. It was the only non-full sized pistol I owned. I finally got a Walther CCP which is a great pistol but I am addicted to tritium sights & they had none for the CCP for over a year. I did some homework & had a Ruger P89 9mm, Glock 22 40cal, S&W 1911 45acp & 2 revolvers, Redhawk 44mag & Taurus 357. I finally settled on the Ruger LC9s w/trutium sights & a grip sleeve. The triggervis sweet & after some range time was comfortable with it. I use IWB, Paddle & pocket holsters. It’s a convienient pistol.
I bought my stepson a Ruger SR1911 because he loves my S&W 1911. I like the 45acp. but I carry a 9mm. SO!!! that being said, I am going to buy a 45acp EDC pistol. Still researching & testing

I just wonder because it just seems self-defeating to me. Why purchase a gun you’re not going to become an absolute expert at? What good are all those guns in our safes if, when the time comes, we can’t even use them, or worse, hurt ourselves or someone we didn’t mean to shoot. Would it not be better to take the time to narrow it down to one gun, and train like a bat-out-of-hell to become the absolute best?

Again, I am not saying these things to stop people from buying. I want people to buy, no question. I just want us to be able to handle our business if the moment jumps on us.