How often do you actually shoot your cc pistol?

Just curious about how often folks fire what they carry. In talking with different folks over the years I’ve been surprised how little some folks actually shoot their pistols (especially the “nite stand gun). I’m blessed to live in a (still) free state, on my own farm, and load my own ammo. I average between 200-250 rounds/ week with my CC and 300 or so/month with the nite stand gun. I know lots of folks don’t have the advantages I do for shooting, but I was curious how others do. Also, for those who “dry fire”, are y’all using the penny trick or just pulling the trigger? If the latter, may I suggest you try the penny trick (balancing a penny on the side and then pulling the trigger without the penny moving). You may be surprised how hard that is to do, but if you can’t, consistently, you ARE moving the pistol and you accuracy will not be what it should. Taught my wife to shoot this way years ago-it does work.

5 Likes

2-3 times per week. About 400 rounds.

3 Likes

I live in a pretty rural area so i can go pretty much whenever. However in the winter all the places around me that i like to use are either snowed in or down trails groomed for snowmobiles. I do what I can, when I can.

2 Likes

Right now I’m going about every week. Soon it will be one or twice a week.

2 Likes

I’m in a very urban area with limited opportunities, so a couple of times a month is as good as it gets. It makes it important to have quality range time and drills I can shoot on an indoor range.
Not the best situation but workable and better than a gun collecting dust.

3 Likes

I go weekly and shoot 100-200 rounds. I practice draw and do Mozambique drills, as well as multi target drills. In between range visits it’s a key training criteria to do dry fire drills as well.

3 Likes

I guess I’m on the low side. :thinking:

100-200rds once a month (sometimes 2x if I’m on the RSO schedule more frequently) all year round at an outdoor range. The nightstand gun makes it out about once a quarter and probably avgs about 200rds per trip.

4 Likes

1 week carry gun, the next week nightstand gun

2 Likes

I feel like I’m the lowest round count shooter here :stuck_out_tongue: Technically suburban area but depending on where you live you might consider it urban. Once a month-ish (sometimes more, sometimes less) to an indoor range, < 200 rounds, and each trip i’ll focus on either carry, nightstand, or rifle.

1 Like

Purchased a new concealed carry gun last month. Before I started carrying it, I had fired 1,010 rounds through it. I tried 6 or 7 different hollow point types and 4 different target ammo brands. That is over 1,000 rounds in less than two weeks since I purchased. Last 250 rounds were without malfunction.

In the past, I would typically shoot my carry pistol at least once a quarter. I typically go pistol shooting at least every other week.

I am able to walk from my house about 300-yards to our community shooting range.

2 Likes

About four times a month (200 rounds). I alternate between my home defense, ccw and rifle.

1 Like

I know it was autocorrect trying to help you, but 300 years is a long walk! :rofl:

In all seriousness, I am jealous, miss having a place to shoot close by. Nearest place to shoot is over 30 minutes if traffic is good.

1 Like

I bought he M&P .40 compact about two years ago. I’ve taken it out about once every other month to practice. I bought a Alien Gear IWB here later which is extremely comforting to carry daily. Just recently I stopped carrying the M&P. I just can’t hit accurately with it. So I went back to my Glock 22 with a We The People IWB ( Phoenix AZ) . I don’t like the full size it’s hard to hide but it is easyer for me to control. No problem with accuracy. What got me thinking was the shorting in Texas. I don’t want to be the problem.

1 Like

At least once per week. Mostly 300 rounds. Dry firing 2 - 3 times per week (5 - 10 minutes).
I’ve made promise to myself to attend 1 class per month so additionally I shoot extra 200 (per class).

1 Like

Autocorrect.

I went back and put the correct word in .

2 Likes

Every time I go to the range. At least a whole box of ammo. The night stand gun, 1/2 a box.

1 Like

I shoot monthly, if not more. I work at a range for my second fun job (this being my first fun job) so I’m at the range a lot - working. Now that my boyfriend is in a league I go with him on league night and shoot on the non-league lanes. And yes, I usually shoot better than he does on his league target - less stress.

2 Likes

In my experience, when men and women spend equal time at the range, the women shoot better. Some nonsense about “just hitting what they aim at, not trying to prove anything.”

4 Likes

What I’ve seen over the years is that most women who try it car really shoot. I’ve taught several ladies, including wife and sister in law, who had never fire a weapon before. All seemed to pick it up quickly ( more quickly than the guys I’ve taught) and all quickly became decent shots😏. I’m impressed with the skills the ladies show. I think it’s because they listen and pay attention, and don’t stress over it like some of the guys do. Anyway, always glad to see a lady able to defend herself.

3 Likes

In my limited experience with new shooters, women have almost always been more accurate. I’d be curious if there is some biology/physiology/kinesiology reason behind it.

3 Likes