How many members. Carry. Knives. And what kind folding or straight . Blades ❓

And how often do you sharpen your edc. Knives :question::us:

4 Likes

:point_up_2:
Folding knife with 3 1/2 inch blade.
I’m following my State Laws. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

@BobbyJean I have carried a folding knife since I was in elementary school. It was a Barlow back then. Been thru a few in my life and current is a Benchmade my son gave me for Fathers Day a couple of years ago.

I have a 4" x 10" DMT DuoSharp diamond sharpener, a 12" steel to straighen the edges, and a double sided strop. Those are the tools I use to sharpen and maintain all knives in my house.

I probably sharpen my EDC more often than my kitchen knives, but about 4 times a year for the EDC and 2 times a year for kitchen knives. I straighten the edges with the steel as required between sharpenings. Sometimes I use the strop after the steel just because it makes me feel good :grinning:

4 Likes

Folding knife with less than 3 inch blade for me. Even though I live in AZ where I can carry whatever I want I also do a lot of work in CA and try my best to follow all the confusing CA anti self defense laws which contradict themselves and vary by county and city. I don’t want to forget to swap from an AZ legal knife to a CA legal knife every time I go there since my knife is one of the things I always carry without even thinking about it. At least here in AZ if I’m not going into a courthouse.

5 Likes

I could never live where you can not be free you can not have a good knife and you can only have ten round magazines wow you all have been miss treated big time they took all your rights long ago I am sorry for that I truly did not know I am very sorry brothers come to Texas and let’s stop :stop_sign: this Invasion and you can be free if we live. Brothers love ya :feather::feather::six::tiger2::us:

3 Likes

I fortunately don’t have to live there. But they pay me a high enough amount of hazardous duty pay to make it worth the risk to work there a week or two per month.

3 Likes

Sometimes we sacrifice small part of Freedom to live a better life.
I don’t mind adopting myself to 3 1/2 inch blade and 15rds magazine limitation. Both are definitely enough for me and those will never be a reason to leave the place I’ve been happy and safe with my Family living in.

3 Likes

I sharpen my EDC knife when I notice it doesn’t cut so well any more. I try not to use my EDC knife when I don’t have to, though. I have a knife in my vehicle, in my garage, in my kitchen, in my shop, in my bedroom, by the front door for packages, etc.

Right now my EDC is a Spyderco Military 2. I also like the ParaMilitary 2, a Gerber with stolen spydie hole, and a slick little assisted opening 4" Zero Tolerance.

My EDC is for opening boxes and bags and stuff

Someone just mentioned John C of ASP on YouTube in the magazine thread…recently John posted his first ever found example of a ‘civilian’ defending themselves with a knife. First one.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t go so far as to say a 3.5" knife is not a good knife.

Even in unrestricted knife carry states, most people naturally land on ~3" as the preferred carry size.

Though I would be quite annoyed if my state had a 3.5" limit

4 Likes

i carry 2 kershaw’s and i keep them razor sharp.

5 Likes

When hiking, I carry an EK commando, for normal carry Kershaw folders. For my EDCs I hone out of box then leave them be, I carry a Swiss Army for mundane chores.

5 Likes

Y’all have a law on what kind of knives you can have?

4 Likes

Kershaws are nice

2 Likes

We can carry swords in our places of business and stores and around the courtyard

3 Likes

Welcome to the community brother your family so say what you have and find out what you don’t we love you brother great to have you in the community sir love Bobby Jean SIR :us::100::feather::feather::tiger2::heart::white_heart::blue_heart::six::toolbox::partying_face:

1 Like

I used to carry a Yellowstone souvenir knife like this one (but mine had a buffalo engraved in the plastic grips), but sadly, the TSA in Atlanta confiscated it as they were worried that I could use it to storm the cockpit and take over the plane. I suppose that to the TSA, old guys with any sort of knife are capable of mayhem and mass murder.

2 Likes

I’m not familiar with other States Laws, but in IL we have some limitations carrying and using knives:

(720 ILCS 5/24-1) (from Ch. 38, par. 24-1)
Sec. 24-1. Unlawful use of weapons.
(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:
(1) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses or carries any bludgeon, black-jack, slung-shot, sand-club, sand-bag, metal knuckles or other knuckle weapon regardless of its composition, throwing star, or any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade knife, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, or a ballistic knife, which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as a projectile by means of a coil spring, elastic material or compressed gas; or
(2) Carries or possesses with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, a dagger, dirk, billy, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto, broken bottle or other piece of glass, stun gun or taser or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character.

Some of those can be carried with FOID… but knives and all sharp objects are a little grey area…

3 Likes

I actually carry 3 knives, although one is a Swiss Army knife that is used more as a screwdriver than a blade. The other is a 1.5” folder I use to open 4 to 8 boxes a day. The last is an automatic I never hope to use and keep only in case I need to cut a seatbelt or break a window. I don’t consider a knife a great defense tool and therefore don’t really carry them as a defense tool. In close quarter I’d go melee and hands on until I could get to my EDC if it was necessary. Knives can be romantic, but they are horribly poor choices for self-defense. Great question. Carry safe.

3 Likes

2 folding one in my pocket and one on my gear bag.

3 Likes

Smith and Wesson M&P 3" assisted opening blade that doubles as an escape tool. It has a seat belt cutter and glass punch. It also has a built in ferro rod, whistle, straight head screwdriver, and a little wrench. It was not very expensive.

4 Likes