How many extra 9mmm mags should I have and ammo storage

For CC, two spare mags.

I don’t do special storage for ammo.

4 Likes

I’d try to thank everyone in reply but doing this I can for all

Thanks to all of you for the solid advice and it is appreciated a lot. Thanks for taking the time

Yea I just ordered silica pacs to put in my ammo boxes. Some like to store ammo one way and others just normal. Either way all the advice is really helpful

5 Likes

Corrected a typo for you.

Each pistol- 5 magazines,

Each AR - 3 magazines

Each shotgun -30 rounds

Then I like to keep a 1,000 rounds of each caliber in storage. But I have to admit I am struggling with that right now availability wise. :eyes::innocent:

2 Likes

I’d suggest not going larger than a standard “.50”(not all ammo cans are marked as .50s) or even smaller if you don’t store a lot of ammo.
BECAUSE these things get darned heavy—even the Fat Fifties—when fully loaded.
If they’re not going anywhere it probably doesn’t matter so much but if you have a house fire, you may like having the option of throwing your ammo can out the window, Chucking a fully loaded Fat Fifty out the window isn’t really an option for wimpy guys like me.
Then again you might hide your ammo cans in a locking file cabinet or some other nook or cranny in your home. Retrieving a really heavy ammo can to access your 'stash is an excellent way to rupture discs in your Lumbar,
Don’t ask me how I know this!

5 Likes

Thanks for the topic; Lots of helpful tips sprang. I will try to create a less humid storage area. I read somewhere that it is good to keep the ammo boxes which describe them, both for the user and in case one ever travels with them out of state or the country, when legal, that inspectors prefer when they see ammo in its original store box (I found the same when my local range asked to see them).
So now I am thinking of keeping my ammo in the box, but figure out a way to store the box of ammo. In terms of how many to carry vs. have at home, I am not sure; I like revolvers so I prefer it loaded, then two loaded speed loaders as EDC. If I obtain a semi auto, I want a full mag, plus at least one spare mag, and maybe a second. Some cities or counties only allow a max of 10 rounds capability per mag. Check one’s local listings. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

One more thing about ammo cans. Don’t set them directly on a cement floor as for some reason it will attract enough moisture to cause the bottoms to start rusting. A couple of wood 2x4 scrap blocks will keep your cans safely off any cement floor.

My preference is to keep ammo cans in the lower drawers of locking file cabinet for added security.
They don’t make filing cabinets like they used to so look for a used sturdy one which can take the weight and will be less costly. ReStores are good places to look
For a bonus, look for two identical, two drawer filing cabinets and set a solid core wood door on top and you’ll have a dandy loading bench!

2 Likes

@Todd30 I’m curious about the notion of multiple attackers. So your example of 3 attackers make sense but with your experience in the industry at what point could a person be considered excessive from a legal standpoint? What I mean is there most be some tipping point to the reasonable person test i.e. would a reasonable person shoot 5,6,7, people in self defense…see what I’m getting at?

1 Like

@BeanCounter I agree 2 spares for cc. My concern is excessive ammunition on your person may be construed as "unnecessarily combative mindset " or something like that

2 Likes

If you’re carrying concealed “loaded for bear” packing like 10 extra mags I think a savvy prosecutor could have a field day with that

2 Likes

Never carry more gear than you can swim across a river with.

8 Likes

A man was confronted by police and shot 93 times before becoming incapacitated and then later died at the hospital. This is one of the reasons why carry two extra mags.In a normal situation, like in a home invasion, after the first shots go off the others will be leaving quickly. Unless they are armed and are going to fight back. You are only stopping a threat. All in all, what steps have you taken to avoid a dangerous situation, Escape, evade, this is still relevant in self-defense scenario. Only in a home invasion where you stand your ground can you stay and protect yourself and family.

3 Likes

@Todd30 thanks for the information

2 Likes

With that many attackers with the means and opportunity to do you bodily harm, you’ll run out of time before you’ll run out of ammo.

1 Like

If I am in a situation where I run out of ammo, I’ve got a lot of other more pressing problems.

When I mentioned what I keep loaded that’s what’s in my ammo safe. Which conveniently is in the same room I would be in, in case of a home invasion.

2 Likes

Yesterday oh, I got scared because I shot up all my ammo at the range and then when I was checking out he was like you can’t take none home you can only buy ammo to shoot here!

Luckily for me I’m a little more than just a customer, so he slipped it to me.

1 Like

This falls under the easy rule of you must be able to articulate why you shot. It doesn’t matter if it is one person or 100 people. Can you articulate why you shot that 100th person? Did they comprise an immediate threat of death or grave bodily injury? Each of those 100 individuals you will have to account for why you shot them, the reasonable person test will apply to each one.

If each of those 100 people was charging you with a machete yelling they were going to kill you, you have no problem.

If you shot the first guy because he was charging you with a machete, and then continued to shoot the other 99 people as they ran away from you unarmed, prepare to spend a loooong time in prison :rofl:

You are unlikely (NOT impossible) to need to shoot person 5, 6, 7 because usually once the bullets start flying they all tend to run. Also, even if you have a large crew of 7 or 8 home invaders, only one or two have firearms, and maybe those with firearms will stand and engage in a firefight, but the ones that don’t will scatter.

There is a thread from one of our community members that had THREE cars worth of criminals trolling neighborhoods to steal stuff.

There is another thread on here “How many rounds do you carry?”, that is really long (almost 200 posts) but has a lot of good posts from a lot of people discussing why you may want to carry more or less ammo. I wrote a lengthy write-up in that thread located here to address what some people may say is “excessive ammunition”.

And like most other topics around legality… the context matters. If you are standing at the bus stop minding your own business when that machete wielding attacker tries to murder you, and you shoot once to stop the threat… What does it matter that you had 10 spare mags staged around your belt? On the other hand, if you run around yelling racial slurs at people and one of the people you are racially slurring takes a run at you with a machete… you betcha that those 10 spare mags will be held against you as evidence that you were looking for a fight.

Ultimately, carry what you are comfortable carrying, so that you carry it every day. And be able to articulate why you carry what you carry.

4 Likes

Charles168

"I was curious how many extra 9mm mags should a person have on hand. Being fact I can’t afford AR15

Also, any ideas for ammo storage. Should I keep the ammo in its box while storing it in an ammo can? Some use bags, ammo plastic box."

Ammo storage? : You may want to keep ammunition in the original factory box or carton. Here are a couple of reasons why.

1. Some handguns are picky when it comes to ammunition, and some guns will not cycle with some ammo. A friend of mine had a Canik, which is a great gun, but when it was new, it would not fire 115 grain 9 mm consistently. So you needed to use 124 grain at a minimum. If you keep the ammo in the original factory boxes, you know what your gun likes and rejects. *Not all 9 mm ammunition is reliable in every 9 mm handgun.

2. Some airlines require your ammo to be in the original factory box because they don’t trust reloads, so if you may not fly with your ammunition if it is not in your original factory box.

Ammo Cans:

I keep boxes of ammo in a 50 Caliber Ammo can because this keeps the rounds dry. Plus, I can lock the ammo can to stop small children from playing with my ammunition like their toys. This has the added advantage of storing ammunition separate from the weapon, which is a good idea.

How many Magazines?

Some classes require you to have a minimum number of magazines to attend a specific course. The last class I took required me to have three twenty round magazines. So a minimum of 3 magazines makes sense.

My range bag has magazine holders for six magazines, so that is how many magazines I have now. But your mission should drive your gear.

How much ammunition to keep on hand?

I shoot a minimum of 50 rounds once a month all year to maintain my skills. So this means for a year, I need a minimum of 600 rounds. This is the minimum I believe everyone who carries a gun should aim for, and more is better.

If you have a year’s supply of 9mm ammunition, then you’re more likely to go to the range once a month to practice.

4 Likes

You in CA?

No Louisiana but it’s ammo shortage and if they didn’t have none to sell when people came then wouldn’t have any business so I understand

1 Like

@Randall318 They have ammo in stock at Simmons Sporting Goods in Bastrop. Not the best price, but they have a decent selection of JHP, if you need some for a couple of mags, I think they ship. Once this mask mandate is over, maybe you should come shoot over here… We could make a run to Bastrop.

2 Likes